Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was the technology craze when you were at school?

Reecejackox

Never got into it myself, but there was that revival for games on Ti-84 calculators, and there was a group that had modified NES controllers to plug into the school computers to play Halo:CE

• 4 weeks later...

I was in high school when cell phones really took off. Suddenly everyone had them! Also, high-speed internet (wired), really took off, too (replacing the very limited dial-up). As mentioned by many others here, also MP3s, iPods, and other MP3 players.

It depends on what level of school you're talking about. When I was little, in early grade school, it was all about those stupid beeper/pagers. It was so ridiculous and I'm glad everyone got over it. Later on it was MP3s and then iPod Touch (I still have my iPod Touch 5 and love it). Now everything seems to revolve around cellphones and I was hoping it would be a passing fad but it seems to be dug-in like a tick, so no luck there.  

• Hugs 2

4 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

It depends on what level of school you're talking about. When I was little, in early grade school, it was all about those stupid beeper/pagers. It was so ridiculous and I'm glad everyone got over it. Later on it was MP3s and then iPod Touch (I still have my iPod Touch 5 and love it). Now everything seems to revolve around cellphones and I was hoping it would be a passing fad but it seems to be dug-in like a tick, so no luck there.  

Yes. Electronic crack. :dry: They're an annoying, largely pointless technology but society is building everything up around them. 

Where I work they want you to punch in with a cell phone because that way they don't have to spend money on a time clock. People are always shoving a phone in my face saying "Do you have this?" How the hell can people even see those tiny screens??? :angry:

On 2023-10-01 at 9:33 AM, Fluttershutter said:

Yes. Electronic crack. :dry: They're an annoying, largely pointless technology but society is building everything up around them. 

Where I work they want you to punch in with a cell phone because that way they don't have to spend money on a time clock. People are always shoving a phone in my face saying "Do you have this?" How the hell can people even see those tiny screens??? :angry:

I agree completely. Everything is built around them on the absurd assumption that everyone has, or is willing, to fork out hundreds of dollars on a smart phone.  For years I used a regular phone off the shelf for $30 and it was fine until smart phones became a requirement for every imaginable task (and many unimaginable tasks!) On a recent vacation I had to have my phone out 95% of the time for one silly reason or another, and that just ain’t natural!

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

• 5 weeks later...

Oh definitely ipods/mp3 players. Then I would say cellphones. Myself and over half my class always had earbuds in during class listening to ipods. Got in trouble for it a few times but I didn't really care and they never really punished me for it.

During my school times Poland was waaaay behind the "west" with technology, so in my primary school times (pretty much late 90s, early 2000) people were freaking out about mobile phones (especially when they had colorful displays and cameras) and, in case of boys, video games. It was rare for anyone to own a PC or any console back then, so having one was a perfect cheat code to become the "cool kid" on the street. 

Also walkmen (yes, I lived in times when casettes were still a thing, discmen and MP3 were a big deal. Especially the last one as combined with how easy was it to get mp3 files it seemed to be "perfect" way to listen to music back then. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Beats headphones and those pill-shaped speakers are all I can remember :P I would say smartphones but everyone had one by then so it wasn't really a "craze"