Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where did Spike come from?

Cherry Blossom

Twilight needed to hatch a dragon egg to come into the magic school right? That means that everypony that wants to come in needs to do it. I don't know how big this school is, but it's safe to assume that several dozens of eggs are being hatched. So the theory that they just "found" an egg or something like that isn't quite believable...

But what says that dragons really care for their children? I think that they at least make sure that the baby gets hatched ok, but then the parents maybe just leave the baby so it can care for itself? Celestia probably has connections with a couple of dragons that leave her some eggs so they don't need to care for it. Or maybe they just let Celestia lend them for a while and leave the baby back when it has hatched (that wouldn't be true in Spike's case though).

Or maybe this is the case: Animals can't take care for themselves in Equestria that much right? What says that dragon eggs can hatch for themselves? Maybe magic must be used to hatch dragon eggs? That would explain their supply of dragon eggs.

• Brohoof 1

I would say the should do an episode on Spike in season 3, but he kinda already did in Dragon Quest. So either we'll get another Spike episode in S3 or we'll never know.

Now that I think of it there are actually 2 spike episodes, Dragon Quest, and Secret of My Excess.

(edited)

I don't really see any probability of an episode where they reveal Spikes past. I agree that the egg was made from magic just for the exam because A) He doesn't have wings, and B) he doesn't grow up.

Also didn't Spike reject his dragon relatives at the end of Dragon Quest? I don't think they would keep pressing the issue just for the sake of finding a backstory that there may or may not be.

Edited by shotoku

All dragons do not grow wings until a certain age?

Well, the teenage dragons mocked Spike for his lack of wings, so I don't think it's normal. Maybe he's like a rare type of dragon, a nearly extinct one. Hell, maybe he's the last of his species of dragon.

Well, the teenage dragons mocked Spike for his lack of wings, so I don't think it's normal. Maybe he's like a rare type of dragon, a nearly extinct one. Hell, maybe he's the last of his species of dragon.

Or perhaps they were mocking him because he was (and still is) a baby dragon - you know, patronizing the guy. I know some guys like to flaunt their perceived advantages around like they're diamonds or something, so it would be a "oh, I can do this and you can't" scenario.

Posted Image

Does this answer your question?

Wait does that mean Pinkie Pie laid that egg and Metal Gear Sparkle went back in time with the egg and gave it to the Academy? IT'S A TIME PARADOX!!

I like to think the egg was taken as a hostage to assure that a dragons wouldn't bother Equestria anymore (the appearance of the red dragon in dragonshy seemed like a very unusual occurence).

Concerning the entrance exam: I don't think anyone was expecting Twilight to actually hatch that thing (otherwise there would be a lot more dragons around Canterlot). I'ts probably more of an Kobayashi Maru thing: What kind of spell do the fillies try, how do they approach the probelem ect.