Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trixie is not evil!

MallaJong1

Trixie suffers from the same syndrome as Luna, imo. Both craved love, respect, and acceptance so much that they turned to less friendly methods of obtaining them. Like Luna, Trixie is just lost.

• Brohoof 2

Gilda bullied ponies without reason. Trixie challenged ponies so her show could get attention. She wasn't really trying to be cruel, it's just her job as a travelling act. Neither of them are evil in the sense that Discord is evil.

• 4 weeks later...

-snip-

And all along, my main point has been, just because she's a boastful jerk, doesn't mean she doesn't deserve sympathy. Not to say she's not one - but jerks need a serious attitude change to be happy. I mean, Pinkie Pie didn't hate Gilda, even after Gilda made Fluttershy cry.

This I will agree with completely and I can also agree with many on here even, yes, those against Trixie. What I am against is when people try to make Trixie and other MLP villains the 'victims', as in truth it was only a matter of time before Trixie's lies and boosts bite her in the flank... which it did, hard. She learned what happens when she exaggerates what she can do and lies, realizing what she did was wrong.

Also I actually like Trixie, she is a good character and I hope she develops in a positive way.

--------------------------------------

It seems many, counting Trixie and perhaps some fans on here, don't realize that to outright lie about what you can do during a performance is not needed. Sure stage magicians will say 'they will cut a person in half' but they then do so (even though it is an effect/trick).

Yet if you noticed they don't say "I have done this" as in "I have defeated the dragon of Smoking Mountains" when they cannot or have not... at least not the good ones. Every good performer knows that it is better to take that which is true and 'spice it up' so that it is more exciting and entertaining instead of making things up. Trixie did not need to make exaggerations, the 'boost', that she defeated a creature she clearly knew nothing about.

Which brings up another point, a good entertainer does their research. If Trixie knew anything about an Ursa Major, and also an Ursa Miner, she would have realized she was making an impossible boost that she could never back up if called to do so... thus she was foalish and even a bit stupid.

Another thing is her pride and arrogance, not helped by her insistence of being called "The Great and Powerful" and that she was the best unicorn in Equestria. She should have realized somepony would called her out one that, especially when she makes the challenges (yes she challenges those in the audience). She says the almost exact words of “Anything you can do I can do better” and I am sorry but many have enough pride or reason that they cannot let such words go. What makes it worse is Trixie technically didn't actually follow through with her challenge, never showing she was better at what the ponies could do and instead humiliating them using tricks unrelated to what they did.

Trixie did not show she was better at using a rope then Applejack, but instead used her magic to tie her up... an easy trick for most unicorns. She did not proves she had more skill and style then Rainbow Dash but instead took the rainbow with her magic and spun up Rainbow Dash like one would with wrappings. She did not prove she was a better fashion and making dresses, on the fly without all the tools needed no less, but instead gave Rarity a bad hair day.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

Trixie is about as evil as the Flim Flam brothers, who aren't much. Really all she's guilty of is over-glorifying herself through devious persuasion and cut-throat tactics.

~~

She's just somepony that lies to everypony just so she looks good but when it actually happens she can't do anything but watch.

I personally like Trixie and I can't wait for her appearance in Season 3, maybe she will apologize to Twilight and become best friends!

Actually Trixie scores much lower on the old malev-o-meter than the flim flam brothers. Flimflam go around destroying whole family farms in pursuit of profit with no care for their potential customers. Trixie just wants to entertain folk and be adored.

I think the saddest thing is that the video in the OP needed to be made. Hasbro has made a brilliantly morally ambiguous television show, full of anti-heros and anti-villains. Yet so many people refuse to see MLP's depth.

Of course Trixie isn't "evil". That's a proposterous claim. In addition, as I have argued seversl times in other threads, Trixie's arrogance is significantly lessened when she's not performing (carefully rewatch Boast Busters to see what I mean). And the Ursa story is nothing too serious at all. Trixie isn't delusional. She told it to entertain ponies. How does that one false story make Trixie any more of a liar than Applejack, who lied to Pinkie in "Party of One" to give her an entertaining birthday?

In reality, Trixie isn't a villain at all. She's a "designated antagonist", as TV Tropes would put it.

Well, Trixie wasn't evil in the first place. :P Sure, she was the main 'villian' in this one particular episode, but in reality she's not really evil. She just a pony who loves to get attention by lying or boasting. She just needs to learn her lesson. I don't get it why people think she's evil. She's annoying, but not evil. Now, if she were evil, she'd be classified under Nightmare Moon, Discord, and Chrysalis. But no, she's not like any of them. She's just....a unicorn who loves boasting. :P

Now, the Flim Flam brothers....now THAT'S annoying.

Edited by Pixiesong

I find it a bit sad that she was more or less ran out of town, but it was her fault over false claims that were proven false. No one's gonna pay bits for a falsified magician so she left. I keep hearing that she will make an appearance in S3 so that's something to look forward to, right?

From how I saw it, she wasn't run out of town in the slightest. She left on her own accord, after which Rainbow Dash was going to go after her until Twilight told her not to.

From how I saw it, she wasn't run out of town in the slightest. She left on her own accord, after which Rainbow Dash was going to go after her until Twilight told her not to.

She wasn't ran out in a literal, physical sense. I highly doubt anypony from the show would do that to anyone. No, she was ran out of town through a show of defeat on her front of magical capabilities. It's a bit hard to walk into town, make claims about yourself and staying afterwards when it is shown you were telling tales of grandeur proven false.

in my opinion no one on the bottom row is evil chrysalis was just trying to feed her species, Trixie probably never got attention so when she found her talent in magic she felt she had to show it off, and with nightmare moon she was just angry that her night was not as loved as her sisters sun. Is Trixie evil no, is she cocky yes maybe to cocky but not evil.

She wasn't ran out in a literal, physical sense. I highly doubt anypony from the show would do that to anyone. No, she was ran out of town through a show of defeat on her front of magical capabilities. It's a bit hard to walk into town, make claims about yourself and staying afterwards when it is shown you were telling tales of grandeur proven false.

If that's what you meant, then you shouldn't have used the phrase "run out of town". That always carries connotations of torches and pitchforks.

I think the saddest thing is that the video in the OP needed to be made. Hasbro has made a brilliantly morally ambiguous television show, full of anti-heros and anti-villains. Yet so many people refuse to see MLP's depth.

Of course Trixie isn't "evil". That's a proposterous claim. In addition, as I have argued seversl times in other threads, Trixie's arrogance is significantly lessened when she's not performing (carefully rewatch Boast Busters to see what I mean). And the Ursa story is nothing too serious at all. Trixie isn't delusional. She told it to entertain ponies. How does that one false story make Trixie any more of a liar than Applejack, who lied to Pinkie in "Party of One" to give her an entertaining birthday?

In reality, Trixie isn't a villain at all. She's a "designated antagonist", as TV Tropes would put it.

She's not a villain, but from what was shown in the actual episode, I don't see any depth to her either. Most of her fans seem to reinvent her in their own heads, which is fine but becomes annoying when they use it to continually justify her actions.

She didn't seem any nicer even when she wasn't performing. She didn't thank Snips and Snails for her smoothie, she was brusque and unkind when talking to them, she turned her nose up at them and told them to leave her alone. And even when they graciously left her alone, she just goes "hmph". Quite frankly, she treated them like manure. However, she was quite happy to let them be her "enthusiastic little admirers" in front of the crowd, when it suited her purpose. So you can add "two-faced" to her list of flaws. The ironic thing is, if the writers wanted to make Trixie more sympathetic, that was the perfect scene to do so. Had she petted the dog instead of kicking it, it would be a lot harder to dislike her.

The only times her facade (if you can even call it that) slipped was when she was shocked out of it, and it never made her the slightest bit more humble. She didn't ever do more than admit she lied: she never apologized for it in the slightest. That's a big difference there. Finally, she never acknowledged Twilight's ability, preferring to insult her and then run away.

You do bring up the excellent point that even the main characters have lied, or boasted, or shown off. And it is just as bad when they do it as when Trixie does. The difference is, we are shown enough good deeds from the Mane 6 to balance out those times when their flaws come through, and more importantly, the Mane 6 learn from those situations and become better ponies. And please don't say that's unfair to Trixie because she only appears in one episode. As I pointed out earlier, there are scenes in that episode where the writers could quite easily have shown a better side to Trixie, but chose not to. The only reason I can think of is that they intend to make Trixie unsympathetic to the audience.

in my opinion no one on the bottom row is evil chrysalis was just trying to feed her species, Trixie probably never got attention so when she found her talent in magic she felt she had to show it off, and with nightmare moon she was just angry that her night was not as loved as her sisters sun. Is Trixie evil no, is she cocky yes maybe to cocky but not evil.

Well, I'm not sure Chrysalis gets a free pass either. She does say that she is "feeding them", but also specifically states that she want to "control" the ponies, and that the feeding from Equestria will give them "more power than [they've] ever dreamed of." That's not just survival at stake. Edited by Full Spectrum

This may not be much about Trixie, but I just wanted to reflect upon the rest of that D&D characterization thing. The descriptions of the alignments are sourced from Wikipedia, so if any of this seems inaccurate to your taste, tell me.

Keeping the characters in the alignment image, I think this would be a better way to align them.

(Spoiler tags to prevent stretching the post beyond necessary measurements.)

- Lawful Good -

A Lawful Good character typically acts with compassion, and always with honor and a sense of duty.

post-4750-0-83411200-1346161381.pngpost-4750-0-24225800-1346161389.jpg

I think this one is pretty self explanatory. Fluttershy fulfills the "compassion" part while Applejack suffices for the "honor and a sense of duty" part.

- Neutral Good -

A Neutral Good character is guided by his conscience and typically acts altruistically, without regard for or against Lawful precepts such as rules or tradition. A Neutral Good character has no problems with co-operating with lawful officials, but does not feel beholden to them. In the event that doing the right thing requires the bending or breaking of rules, they do not suffer the same inner conflict that a Lawful Good character would.

post-4750-0-69670700-1346162283.jpgpost-4750-0-79994100-1346162295.jpg

They have a sense of what is right and what is wrong, but they don't adhere to it as strictly as Fluttershy and they don't seem as dissatisfied with their slip-ups as Applejack.

- Chaotic Good -

A Chaotic Good character favors change for a greater good, disdains bureaucratic organizations that get in the way of social improvement, and places a high value on personal freedom, not only for oneself, but for others as well. They always intend to do the right thing, but their methods are generally disorganized and often out of alignment with the rest of society. They may create conflict in a team if they feel they are being pushed around, and often view extensive organization and planning as pointless, preferring to improvise.

post-4750-0-68116800-1346162485.jpg

High value on persosnal freedom?

Check!

Intends to do the right thing?

Check!

Methods are generally disorganized and she prefers to improvise?

Check!

I think Rainbow Dash fits this coat to a T.

- Lawful Neutral -

A Lawful Neutral character typically believes strongly in Lawful concepts such as honor, order, rules and tradition, and often follows a personal code.

Characters of this alignment are neutral with regard to good and evil. This does not mean that Lawful Neutral characters are amoral or immoral, or do not have a moral compass, but simply that their moral considerations come a distant second to what their code, tradition, or law dictates. They typically have a strong ethical code, but it is primarily guided by their system of belief, not by a commitment to good or evil.

post-4750-0-59444500-1346164819.jpg

Again, fairly straightforward. The buffaloes as a tribe live by the standards of their tradition rather than the Equestrian law. They don't completely shun the law, but their customs come first to them.

- True Neutral -

This alignment represents Neutral on both axes, and tends not to feel strongly towards any alignment. A farmer whose primary overriding concern is to feed his family is of this alignment. Most animals, lacking the capacity for moral judgment, are of this alignment since they are guided by instinct rather than conscious decision. Many roguish characters who play all sides to suit themselves are also of this alignment (such as a weapon merchant with no qualms selling his wares to both sides of a war for a profit).

Some Neutral characters, rather than feeling undecided, are committed to a balance between the alignments. They may see good, evil, law and chaos as simply prejudices and dangerous extremes.

Really... I see not a single character in this entire series as True Neutral. Every single one of them seems to be written with some kind of other alignment in mind. The closest thing FiM has to True Neutral characters are Spike and Zecora, but even they would fit better in other slots (Neutral Good and Lawful Neutral respectively).

- Chaotic Neutral -

A character of this alignment is an individualist who follows his or her own heart, and generally shirks rules and traditions. Although they promote the ideals of freedom, it is their own freedom that comes first. Good and Evil come second to their need to be free, and the only reliable thing about them is how totally unreliable they are. Chaotic Neutral characters are free-spirited and do not enjoy the unnecessary suffering of others, but if they join a team, it is because that team's goals happen to coincide with their own at the moment. They invariably resent taking orders and can be very selfish in their pursuit of personal goals. A Chaotic Neutral character does not have to be an aimless wanderer; they may have a specific goal in mind, but their methods of achieving that goal are often disorganized, unorthodox, or entirely unpredictable.

post-4750-0-92150800-1346166118.jpg

Pinkie lives for herself. Yes, she throws parties to entertain others, but as she herself aptly pointed out on multiple occasions, it makes her feel good when she sees others smile. She hasn't been shown to care about good or evil, and she shows complete apathy towards common etiquette and the laws (I mean those of nature and of physics).

- Lawful Evil -

Characters of this alignment see a well-ordered system as being easier to exploit, and show a combination of desirable and undesirable traits; while they usually obey their superiors and keep their word, they care nothing for the rights and freedoms of other individuals and are not averse to twisting the rules to work in their favor. Examples of this alignment include tyrants, devils, undiscriminating mercenary types who have a strict code of conduct, and loyal soldiers who enjoy the act of killing.

post-4750-0-34296700-1346167235.jpg

Nightmare Moon is mainly in this alignment by process of elimination. She's obviously "Evil", and she's neither Chaotic nor Neutral. Her plan was fairly though out, it was just nowhere near airtight, and I'm sure if she had a following the emotions in that relationship would be pretty one-sided (and underlings wouldn't be her primary concern). Just assumption on that one though. ;)

Keep in mind that this doesn't apply to Princess Luna.

- Neutral Evil -

Characters of this alignment are typically selfish and have no qualms about turning on their allies-of-the-moment, and usually make allies primarily to further their own goals. They have no compunctions about harming others to get what they want, but neither will they go out of their way to cause carnage or mayhem when they see no direct benefit to it. They abide by laws for only as long as it is convenient for them. A villain of this alignment can be more dangerous than either Lawful or Chaotic Evil characters, since she or he is neither bound by any sort of honor or tradition nor disorganized and pointlessly violent.

post-4750-0-68336200-1346168636.jpg

She didn't act "Evil" for the heck of it, she did so for the benefit of her people, and in ways she could even be considered Lawful Neutral. She shows concern for her followers but does not care for the fates of others. She has proven that she will use any means to get what she wants, but she has shown nothing that indicates she would do the same if her "family's" survival didn't depend upon it.

- Chaotic Evil -

Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have any regard for the lives or freedom of other people. They do not work well in groups, as they resent being given orders, and usually behave themselves only out of fear of punishment.

It is not compulsory for a Chaotic Evil character to be constantly performing sadistic acts just for the sake of being evil, or constantly disobeying orders just for the sake of causing chaos. They do however enjoy the suffering of others, and view honor and self-discipline as weaknesses. Serial killers and monsters of limited intelligence are typically Chaotic Evil.

post-4750-0-20938900-1346168989.jpg

Discord... what is there left for me to say about discord? Just read the description of the alignment and you should get the picture, at least I hope so, because I wouldn't know how to explain his character any more accurate than that.

So where does Trixie factor into this whole thing? Well, if I absolutely had to place her somewhere, I'd put her with Rainbow Dash in the Chaotic Good square. Yes, Trixie may act antagonizing, but so does Dash at times. Yes, Trixie comes across as an arrogant individual who's full of herself, but guess what, the same could be said for Rainbow Dash. That having been said, I think Trixie is better left off this list.

Anywho, just my two cents on the matter.

Edited by Zhinzo
  • Brohoof 1

So where does Trixie factor into this whole thing? Well, if I absolutely had to place her somewhere, I'd put her with Rainbow Dash in the Chaotic Good square. Yes, Trixie may act antagonizing, but so does Dash at times. Yes, Trixie comes across as an arrogant individual who's full of herself, but guess what, the same could be said for Rainbow Dash. That having been said, I think Trixie is better left off this list.

Anywho, just my two cents on the matter.

Well I without a doubt wouldn't give her the good alignment, as she clearly is not the type to help anyone but herself and does not follow after the good side of the alignment system.

Trixie is not evil in the D&D point of view, as I doubt any pony ever could be, yet she is also clearly not good.

Well I without a doubt wouldn't give her the good alignment, as she clearly is not the type to help anyone but herself and does not follow after the good side of the alignment system.

Trixie is not evil in the D&D point of view, as I doubt any pony ever could be, yet she is also clearly not good.

As I said, I would rather keep Trixie off this list, because I feel like she isn't characterized strongly enough to be the face of an alignment... But I wouldn't say she's "clearly not good". As has been said in the video of the first post. "She's an entertainer", and from what I can tell, a pretty amusing one if almost the entire audience is enjoying the show. Surely that gives her at least some points towards the "Good" alignment. And if that seems like a load of crap to you, also consider that she made some attempt at chasing away the ursa minor that was about to raid Ponyville. Successful or not, it was more than most would do. Edited by Zhinzo

Ya, She is not evil. Trixie is basically an attention seeker, she puts on shows to earn a living and she lies to get as much attention as possible. The attention could also be a way to draw in more of a crowd so she earns more bits, But she belongs in the neutral category with Gilda.

Trixie isnt evil she is just an attention whore maybe she wasn't raised by the best parents and as a little filly they never gave her attention and now Trixie want to make it up for it!

Wow that would make an excellent back story for Trixie huh?

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~