Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best references from the show

Alleviate

Okay, simple one today.

How many references to other things (Be it films, games, life in general) have you spotted in MLP FiM shows?

Also, which were the best and were any of them somewhat inappropriate (Referencing things that are offensive, well over-aged Etc.)?

By best Ref. so far has been Twi's Plisskin impression in 'It's about time'

She just copied his looks, scar an' all.

Anyway, Best Refs.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

For now (Brits) I bid thee good night.

Sayonara!

-Joe-

There are several cinematographic references throughout to much older films.

In The Return of Harmony, part 2 the ending is a riff off of the ending of Star Wars: A New Hope (1977).

In Sweet and Elite during the song "Becoming Popular" there's a strong similarity between her picking the h'orderves, and a similar scene in the 1971 World War II film Patton.

In The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 much of "The Flim Flam Brothers" song is very similar to Meredith Wilson's 1959 film based upon the broadway musical The Music Man.

Ponyville Confidential currently has the oldest film reference. The montage of printing and distributing papers is almost shot-for-shot from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, which was made in 1939.

Well one i remember is that rarity (or one of the other mane 6) Says that "Someone 'spiked' the punch!" after spike fell in it.

Spiking irl means secretly pouring alcohol into a non-alcoholic beverage to make people drunk.

So that was a reference only adults would understand i guess.

Another great alcohol joke is in the Poison Joke episode when Spike refers to Applejack as 'Apple-teeny' (Appletini is an alcoholic drink)

When Twilight starts on fire in anger and basically turns into Rapidash for a brief moment in Feeling Pikie Keen, that was the coolest reference imo(intentional or not, I'll bet it was though). ;)

Well one i remember is that rarity (or one of the other mane 6) Says that "Someone 'spiked' the punch!" after spike fell in it.

Spiking irl means secretly pouring alcohol into a non-alcoholic beverage to make people drunk.

Pinkie Pie said that, and she actually says 'Looks like the punch has been... Spiked!' and he didn't fall into it, he fell asleep in it. :huh:

The only one I can think of is when Pinkie Pie called Spike "Puff the magic dragon" from some old hippy song... I didn't particularly care for it but yeah that's all I could think of lol

Fluttershy said that, and she actually calls him 'Huffy the Magic Dragon' after Twilight says 'Well that was kinda huffy.' :P

Yeah, I watch the show a lot... :blink:

I loved the references to Sherlock Holmes and Murder on the Orient Express in MMMystery on the Friendship Express. Also, when Twilight turned into Rapidash (I forgot which episode that was in, but I think it was in Feeling Pinkie Keen). There was apparently a reference to The Big Lebowski as well but I don't know which episode that was in either.

My faves would be the Blazing Saddles one in Swarm of the Century(Twi telling everypony to rebuild ponyville somewhere else), and the East Bound and Down soundalike tune in Sister Hooves Social.

As for being sneaky, when I was thinking about it and it really hit me I was surprised Chrysalis(essentially a succubus) made it past the radar.

I loved the references to Sherlock Holmes and Murder on the Orient Express in MMMystery on the Friendship Express. Also, when Twilight turned into Rapidash (I forgot which episode that was in, but I think it was in Feeling Pinkie Keen). There was apparently a reference to The Big Lebowski as well but I don't know which episode that was in either.

Yep, there wer Big Lebowski ponies in the bowling alley at the start of The Cutie Pox. :ph34r:

When Twilight starts on fire in anger and basically turns into Rapidash for a brief moment in Feeling Pikie Keen, that was the coolest reference imo(intentional or not, I'll bet it was though). ;)

Pinkie Pie said that, and she actually says 'Looks like the punch has been... Spiked!' and he didn't fall into it, he fell asleep in it. :huh:

Fluttershy said that, and she actually calls him 'Huffy the Magic Dragon' after Twilight says 'Well that was kinda huffy.' :P

Yeah, I watch the show a lot... :blink:

Lol i knew it was something like that, havent seen that episode in a while. All i knew was that included ,spike and an alcohol refernece :3
  • Brohoof 1

I love the Have gun will travel reference when pinkie says "Have tuba, will travel". Also the rupees from zelda in the beginning of s1 ep 17 I think.

Well in the episode Swarm of the Century, They did a Blazing Saddles references and the Parasprites I think are based off a monster from Star Track, but the remind me of gremlins.

This one is an odd one, I read once that in the episode Baby Cakes they did a references to the movie Psycho. It could just be the music when Pound starts flying.

Of corse the best references would have to me in the Mare Do Well. The charter reminds me of Dark Wing Duck, but the posters the other ponies had came from the Batman animated show.

Edited by pinkiefan1287

It can also mean putting drugs in it.

I think "Huffy the Magic Dragon" counts. Yeah, no way older people missed that.

It's brilliant how many refs. I've got here!

I realised how many I've missed and now I'm gonna go watch all of the episodes to hunt down some more.

anyway, here's a few refs. that I managed to get,

MGS Rainbow Dash during 'Read it or weep it' (I think that's what it's called)

A few sonikku references from RD in general when someone calls her the 'Blue blur'

Escape from L.A. (and MI) when Twi and Pinkie pretended to be statues to avoid detection outside the library in 'It's about time'

The punch being 'spiked' one made me laugh a fair bit when I first heard it. Bit surprised they'd mention that though.

I'm trying to think of what PsychoTwi from 'Lesson Zero' references, I'm sure it's related to something but I can't remember just what right now.....

Anyway (again)....

KUTGW

-Joe-