Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Enemies defeated too quickly?

MallaJong1

Don't feel Discord and Chrysalis were defeated too easily? I understand this is a children's show, but come on! Don't you feel Discord should have been able to rule for at least a few weeks? A rebellion could have occured after, of course. And don't even get me started on how quickly the changelins were defeated. "The power of love will strengthen us"......Really? I know, I know. I am freaking for no reason. But didn't anyone want Team Rocket to win just once? Haha.

• Brohoof 9

i hope in season 3 the enemies will get alot stronger. everything felt rushed. i actually anted to know what would happen if the ponies never figured out who Chrysalis really was. what would happen if she ruled canterlot. so many questions left unanswered.

A big yes. I mean especially Chrysalis. Why didn't she do anything? She could have won easily but no. I guess it's because of that bucking time limit they have.

Yeah for something as powerful as Chrysalis she got defeated a little too easily. Albeit, her own overconfidence was the reason for her downfall. However, I imagine she's learned alot from her defeat and will return as a more formidable enemy. Discord... well there really isn't much you can do against an immortal spirit who exists soley for the purpose of spreading chaos all over the world (aside from sealing it away again) so I was okay with that.

I'm inclined to agree here. Though the villains DID succeed and were competent if overconfident. Discord neutralized the elements of Harmony and Chrysalis almost had Twilight KILL Cadence out of anger AND broke Shining Armor's shield leading to the invasion. However, their overconfidence got them to 1, not count on Celestia freeing Twilight from her discording and freeing her friends restoring power to the elements and 2, ignore the application of love as a power source for SA's shield.

But for what we got, they were still impressive villains for a kids show. I don't remember a kids show where the villains actually WIN!

• Brohoof 2

i hope in season 3 the enemies will get alot stronger. everything felt rushed. i actually anted to know what would happen if the ponies never figured out who Chrysalis really was. what would happen if she ruled canterlot. so many questions left unanswered.

The problem is the time of the show, I agree I felt like elements of a canter lot wedding felt rushed, but unless they do like a 3/4 episode long arc they can't really develop story's further then they are doing :)

I do think they did discards fall quite well, I mean it did feel like he ruled for quite a while, especially if you watch the episodes appart from each other rather then one after another.

I agree with you. That's why A canterlot Wedding is not my favorite episode. Chrysalis beat Celestia for Pete's sake! She still got defeated in 10 seconds flat. Discord bothered me less because, unlike Chrysalis, he didn't appear and get defeated in the same episode. His defeat was also very in character. A canterlot Wedding seemed rushed to me...

The sole reason Discord was defeated was because he didn't take the twenty second time frame he was given, to get out of the way of the rainbow blast from the Elements of Harmony. Instead, he sat there and gawked. He was so dumbfounded by the fact that the Mane Six actually got back together, and were able to perform the magic required to defeat him, that he lost rather easily in the blink of an eye. If he hadn't, he would have subdued the ponies with ease, now knowing that they were capable of defeating him.

In short, plot device. He didn't dodge, when realistically he probably would have.

And then yes, Chrysalis was sudden to. She beats Celestia, rules for a few minutes to imprison most of Canterlot, and then doesn't turn around when Cadence and Shining Armor begin talking, and then power up to do their love blast.

In short, yes, they were defeated too easily, and it's obvious that it's so because of the time frame of episodes, and because this is aimed at a younger audience.

That isn't to say that these villains might come back in the future though, hopefully. The solution to quick defeats is to have them be reoccurring villains, if at least only reappear once or twice.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah, the enemies were defeated a bit too easily. I mean for someone as powerful as Chyrsalis? And someone as chaotic as Discord who can take control of the sun and moon using chaos?

Hopefully they come back in the future. I mean in Celestia's little beam fight with Chyrsalis, when she gets shot down once? I was hoping for an epic magic battle :huh: since these are two beings that have tons o' power.

And I feel that Discord and Nightmare Moon should've been able to have a bit more fun before being defeated. It would be quite a plot twist. :wub:

Edited by Stary Dreams

The sole reason Discord was defeated was because he didn't take the twenty second time frame he was given, to get out of the way of the rainbow blast from the Elements of Harmony. Instead, he sat there and gawked. He was so dumbfounded by the fact that the Mane Six actually got back together, and were able to perform the magic required to defeat him, that he lost rather easily in the blink of an eye. If he hadn't, he would have subdued the ponies with ease, now knowing that they were capable of defeating him.

In short, plot device. He didn't dodge, when realistically he probably would have.

And then yes, Chrysalis was sudden to. She beats Celestia, rules for a few minutes to imprison most of Canterlot, and then doesn't turn around when Cadence and Shining Armor begin talking, and then power up to do their love blast.

In short, yes, they were defeated too easily, and it's obvious that it's so because of the time frame of episodes, and because this is aimed at a younger audience.

That isn't to say that these villains might come back in the future though, hopefully. Th solution to quick defeats is to have them be reoccurring villains, if at least only reappear once or twice.

Well from what I herd about future return of villans:

I think discord is coming back next season

I'm inclined to agree here. Though the villains DID succeed and were competent if overconfident. Discord neutralized the elements of Harmony and Chrysalis almost had Twilight KILL Cadence out of anger AND broke Shining Armor's shield leading to the invasion. However, their overconfidence got them to 1, not count on Celestia freeing Twilight from her discording and freeing her friends restoring power to the elements and 2, ignore the application of love as a power source for SA's shield.

But for what we got, they were still impressive villains for a kids show. I don't remember a kids show where the villains actually WIN!

At times, the villains of Courage the Cowardly Dog would win. Pretty satisfying, actually.

Definately. Especially on the Chrysalis thing. I was definately hoping for a better "clash of the titans" between her and Celestia. It also seems a bit strange that Chrysalis was defeated by the power of love, which is ironically what supposedly gives her strength. (I know there's multiple speculations on that, and then the forcefield regeneration theory, but still...)

Yeah, the enemies were defeated a bit too easily. I mean for someone as powerful as Chyrsalis? And someone as chaotic as Discord who can take control of the sun and moon using chaos?

And I feel that Discord and Nightmare Moon should've been able to have a bit more fun before being defeated. It would be quite a plot twist. :wub:

Nightmare is my favorite character. She should have won it all. Lunar Republic all the way!

I think you are forgetting that little girls also watch this show. Although we praise it for its deep story and rich character design, I don't think they would entice too much drama. However, MLP never ceases to surprise me, so who can honestly say.

As more and more lessons will be used in shows, they will have to come up with new episodes. They might just introduce a powerful enemy in those weeks when they need to come up with a few more lessons. I might be wrong of course. I probably am.

my opinion? Chrysalis' defeat was only because of the time limit. no other reason. She should have KNOWN the power of love. Proof?

Chrysalis: "Shining Armor's love for you is even stronger than I thought. Consuming it has made me even more powerful than CELESTIA!"

I think if they were able to they DEFINITELY would have extended beyond ep 26. They couldn't so they must have thought "ok fine... we're already too close to the limit. let's just end it here and try to time it better next time."

The situation with Chrysalis may have dragged out longer if they had a third episode to work with or this was a movie. With only two episodes to work with I would say they did the best they could, and I think their best was great.

i hope in season 3 the enemies will get alot stronger. everything felt rushed.

Given the brevity of season 3 and the early hype surrounding the Crystal Kingdom, I'm hoping that all 13 episodes will be part of a story arc about it that spans the whole season, whether or not the villain plays a prominent role in everything.

It would also be good if they took him down without using the Elements. They're cool, but they've done the job twice already and another victory using them could be a bit stale at this point.

Edited by Artemis

Well from what I herd about future return of villans:

I think discord is coming back next season

It's still not absolute, all we know is his voice actor is returning. But we don't know, he could be doing the voice of some background pony, or a new character. Certainly would love him to come back, though.

The situation with Chrysalis may have dragged out longer if they had a third episode to work with or this was a movie. With only two episodes to work with I would say they did the best they could, and I think their best was great.

Given the brevity of season 3 and the early hype surrounding the Crystal Kingdom, I'm hoping that all 13 episodes will be part of a story arc about it that spans the whole season, whether or not the villain plays a prominent role in everything.

It would also be good if they took him down without using the Elements. They're cool, but they've done the job twice already and another victory using them could be a bit stale at this point.

my question to you is this: how many times should they NOT use them before it's considered ok to use them again? That's the thing that bugs me when people say that because by what they say it's like they EXPECT the mane 6 to never use the Elements of Harmony again. I understand the next upcoming villain (whoever it might be) but what about the one after that? just wondering.

my question to you is this: how many times should they NOT use them before it's considered ok to use them again? That's the thing that bugs me when people say that because by what they say it's like they EXPECT the mane 6 to never use the Elements of Harmony again. I understand the next upcoming villain (whoever it might be) but what about the one after that? just wondering.

I think it's more that it's not fresh when they get used in the same way over and over, I mean it's the most powerful weapon in equestrian so it's likely they will get used. It's more that it becomes a bit anti climatic when they is go get them and use them.

That being said there was enought difference from using them on Nightmare moon and Discord that I trust the shows writers to r use them innovatively again and for it to make for good viewing.

Personally, I believe that the writers actually start out with a lot more time in their mind, because stuff happens at a decent pace in the beginning, but in the last 5 minutes, stuff happening all at once. It's like they are prepared to make a full-blown movie and then at the end they are like "oh crap the timelimit! uh... just put stuff here and there!".

That's not the case with the dual episodes only. I have noticed it on several other episodes too. Personally, if they fix that in the Season 3, then I would be happy. I believe it will also solve the problems that they face with the enemies too.

Edited by OlegEqualzName

The explanation within the line of logic for the creation of the show is that "This is a cartoon made for girls" and therefore expounds more upon friendship and the magic thereof, rather than conflict and action "Because that stuff is for boys". Obtuse? Yes. True? Also yes.

Which can make some enemies defeat or otherwise scene dismissal very abrupt, even contrived.

Posted Image

However the show-makers recognize and amend this by making it funny most of the time.

• Brohoof 1

A one villain hiatus would be fine with me. We know the outcome will be the same regardless of how they defeat an enemy, so all tension and excitement rests on how they make it happen. Springing for the Elements for their third consecutive showdown is a bit much. More than anything I'd just like them to demonstrate that they and the rest of Equestria aren't completely helpless without the Elements.