Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nightmare Celestia (W.I.P.) - Photoshop Tips Please?

Hazardus_Havard.

I've been trying to learn how to use the Photoshop program for several weeks now. How to sketch, color, do effects, paint and other things I can't remember. I decided to draw this up for fun and am going to color it soon.

I would love to know of any tips that could be given on how to paint and color things in general here along with any neat effects that could be done, even websites where I could go to though I'd prefer to talk to people here. I'm probably going to do a darkened color set for this with a simple background.

Any critiques on this would be nice, since I like to know what people like and do not like.

Edit- This is two sketches and a colored work. I'm hoping to see what people think on the colors used and any flaws or additions the sketches could use.

post-5025-0-81388400-1345175089_thumb.pngpost-5025-0-84694400-1345175072_thumb.jpgpost-5025-0-29664100-1345363157_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hazardus_Havard
  • Brohoof 1

One thing I've noticed from your first two sketches is that the strokes are composed of very small lines like a cross-hatching. It would be incredibly beneficial if you use a long curved stroke. Most of the time it's impossible to a curve you want so you have to use the back option until you get the curve you want.

There are only 3 tools you need in photoshop. The brush tool, the eraser tool and the eyedropper. Thats it. You don't need to learn photoshops other functions because they are meant for photo editing not painting. Fortunately for you, these are the most straight forward tools there are.

I would suggest watching all of the vides on idrawgirls.com as well as some tutorials on youtube. If you don't know how to draw on paper I would suggest learning that first.

There are only 3 tools you need in photoshop. The brush tool, the eraser tool and the eyedropper. Thats it. You don't need to learn photoshops other functions because they are meant for photo editing not painting. Fortunately for you, these are the most straight forward tools there are.

I would suggest watching all of the vides on idrawgirls.com as well as some tutorials on youtube. If you don't know how to draw on paper I would suggest learning that first.

idrawgirls? Never heard of them. I will look to them on YouTube though and see what they can offer me to improve myself. Do they have Photoshop tutorials?

One thing I've noticed from your first two sketches is that the strokes are composed of very small lines like a cross-hatching. It would be incredibly beneficial if you use a long curved stroke. Most of the time it's impossible to a curve you want so you have to use the back option until you get the curve you want.

Oh, the reason they are small is because I used a very huge canvass, like around 1600 x 2000 so it's very hard to draw nice fine curves on things like that. But yes I do agree with you. Had to undo a lot of work to get just the right curve I wanted, or a sharp pointed angle to hit just right.

idrawgirls? Never heard of them. I will look to them on YouTube though and see what they can offer me to improve myself. Do they have Photoshop tutorials?

It's a website/blog done by a former concept artist at NcSoft (The people that make Guild Wars). The website is all videos and all he uses is photoshop. Some of them are just speed paints (which are good to watch as well), but a lot of them are tutorials. There are A LOT on alost any subject from characters to robots to environments to poses and brushes.

It's a website/blog done by a former concept artist at NcSoft (The people that make Guild Wars). The website is all videos and all he uses is photoshop. Some of them are just speed paints (which are good to watch as well), but a lot of them are tutorials. There are A LOT on alost any subject from characters to robots to environments to poses and brushes.

Never played the game but yeah, they sound interesting. Hoping to mostly get how to use painting tutorials the most since I've already got anatomy down and how to design most stuff. Thanks.

lost internet connection, using horrible phone trying to watch videos, not working. Once again thanks, I'll look at the videos tomorrow when I get internet back.

It is good, but the characters face is strange. I like the design, cutie mark, and the rest. That is the one thing that isnt the greatest. But the drawing is good for editing in photoshop.

I like it, and I'd give some advice but I don't use photoshop sadly. Just some crtizism, the body seems to be too "bulky" or fat compated to the neck and head size. Everything's great though! despite that it just gave me nightmares! :lol: (Not rlly)

Strange. I was studying some horse anatomy to try and get the results here. I will think on this the next time I try and draw something like this like studying better facial construction amongst other things.

That is one scary princess pony, I like your style!

I use Photoshop but its not for drawing or colouring purposes.

And I had learned my lesson there. I will now draw solely in GIMP and transfer over into Photoshop; too much a hassle trying to draw ONE simple thing and it blows in my face, the darn thing took over a week and a half just getting there. Hopefully the coloring won't be a hassle and I can get something done soon.

Okay, i'm going to change some of the facial and body structure when I get the chance and study how to better apply lines and shade. For now I've posted a colored version here and hope to see how everyone feels on that.