Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Am I the only one who doesn't use YouTube?

Abstract

I feel like I must be, everyone is always constantly talking about what they saw there, always linking videos and the next greatest meme is always coming up there.

Used to, years back, I never used it because my internet connection was too slow, I couldn't stand waiting 10 minutes for a 3 minute video to load. However, as years went by, I found that I didn't feel like I was missing anything. Sure, every once in a while I'd watch a viral video or two. But I don't understand this subscribing thing, or people who want subscribers, who make video after video after video - I just don't get the appeal.

I can watch YouTube all the time now, whenever I want pretty much. But I feel no need to, the idea of just watching countless videos is offputting, and sounds incredibly boring. I'd much rather be reading a Wikipedia article, or posting on forums.

Anyone else feel like this, or am I alone?

Im pretty sure there are people like you somewhere. I enjoy youtube though because it let's average people like you and i express themselves in front of everyone, or making them laugh.

And the reason they want subscribers is because either A. They get money if they're in a partnership or B. It Helps them know that there are people watching their videos and gives them a main idea of their audience

(Oh and Btw If you like looking through wikipedia articles you should play this game http://thewikigame.com/ its great fun)

(Oh and Btw If you like looking through wikipedia articles you should play this game http://thewikigame.com/ its great fun)

DAMMIT, there goes my only day off this week. And possibly for weeks to come. Come to think of it, probably the last you'll see of me for a while, the game has me now.

DAMMIT, there goes my only day off this week. And possibly for weeks to come. Come to think of it, probably the last you'll see of me for a while, the game has me now.

Lol This game is the reason is stayed up till 2am last night! It's really addicting and a bit(very) hard sometimes

First thing that I thought when I read your last sentence was "egghead much ?." Lol, sorry :P

Seriously, though, I mostly use youtube for music, previews of new music, upcoming and aftermovies of events and stuff like that. :)

I only ever use it to listen to music, sometimes see some gameplay to decide if I want a game now or later, etc.

As for the "appeal" it's one of three things:

Showing off things they can do or things they want other people to see (like games they have nostalgia for)

Getting attention

Some people get paid to do it, not a lot, but they get paid to make Youtube videos.

Oh there's also companies. When companies use Youtube they usually use it for advertising since so many people use it. It's good for hosting videos they want to embed on their own website.

First thing that I thought when I read your last sentence was "egghead much ?." Lol, sorry :P

I always have been a bit of a geek, I'm not ashamed to admit it. ;)

Honestly, I feel like it may be I just don't like videos, period. Music videos bore me, I'd rather just listen to the song. I'd rather read a book than watch a movie. It irks me to no end when I see a link for what I think will be an interesting news article, only to find out there is no article, it's a video. I won't watch it. Any kind of review, whether it be for a movie, game, whatever, I'd rather read about than watch some video about it.

I don't know, I guess I'm just odd.

• Brohoof 1

I personally only use Youtube for watch things like Lets Plays and people like JonTron, Egoraptor and maybe TotalBiscuit. I can't stand all those stupid "viral videos" and bloggers. My god bloggers. Not to mention the LPer's who have about 30 parts of Slender or something.

Youtube isn't just for "viral" videos. Lots of people make video logs, playthroughs of games, tutorials and whatever else. You can watch movies on Youtube, listen to music, pretty much everything - it's like a TV except you decide what you want to watch all the time.

Subscribing to people lets you get their videos on your homepage whenever they upload them so you can see it when you log in. That's a great feature if you like the content someone makes and want to keep updated.

Of course, if it's just that you prefer watching stuff over reading, that's understandable, but restricting that to Youtube seems sort of pointless - you might as well make a thread asking if you're the only one who doesn't watch TV. :P

I use youtube a lot. Most of the time spent there I'm watching juggling videos. That was the reason that I started watching in the first place. After that I have began watching some comedians and such. I also use it if I hear about a new movie and want to see the trailer or just hear some music.

I couldn't be without it and haven't met somebody yet (around my age) that doesn't use it at all. I guess you're the first. But if you don't feel the need to, then don't do it. You shouldn't force yourself to do it just for the sake of "being like everybody else". (But I guess that by being a brony you have learnt that already ;) )

I see what you mean.

I use YouTube a lot, but that's just because I'm mostly bored and then decide to watch random and funny videos away. Viral videos pop out very frequently though, and people talk about them frequently as well. That's normal, and I don't think it'll change any time soon.

I once witnessed this kid being "bullied" at school because he hadn't seen a certain video yet that everyone else was talking about. That's just nonsense. I mean, a similar thing happened to me some time ago: People kept telling me that I HAD to have a Facebook account or else I wouldn't be accepted by the society... :|

I mainly use YouTube for songs, or if someone recommends me a funny video, or I find something interesting, like an amateur film, or an interesting pony video, then I'll watch it. I don't just spend hours watching random videos, I just keep up to date with my subscriptions, or listen to music.

Eh, I only use youtube for searching up micspam (Mainly music for TF2) and watch a good video from time to time. So in my opinion, youtube is not the "holy grail" of all of the internet. :huh:

I hardly ever trawl Youtube for videos. If I go there, I am searching for something specific and leaving after hopefully finding it. Or from links and embeds.

Sometimes I browse someone's channel because I liked a video of his/hers but it is usually so time consuming and I get bored if I'm not looking for something in particular.

My friend doesn't really use youtube ever either. So you're not alone. But she doesn't have a account on mlp forums D: plus theres probably more people like you. You're not missing out on a whole lot on youtube either. i personally find it annoying when some one goes like "OMG YOU HAVE YOUTUBE? LOOK UP *input some stupid video title here* ITS SO FUNNY HAHA. " Then i watch it then a brick has more expression than me.

But I don't understand this subscribing thing, or people who want subscribers, who make video after video after video

People making video after video, are usually people who are YouTube partners, and have established somewhat of a career off of making videos and growing their audience.

~~

Edited by VOODOO

I know some people who don't use YouTube. Me? I use it.. a lot. Mostly because I like having some sort of sound in the background while I'm doing other things, be it a song, a video, or anything.

Subscriptions are almost like magazine subscriptions, you get notified when a person you subscribe to posts a new video or comments on their own videos, etc. I only subscribe to friends or people I'm actually interested in, but not big names, like AVGN or Nostalgia Critic.

Sometimes I watch shows on there that I couldn't watch otherwise, like before MLP came out on Netflix. OR other ones not on Netflix.

I would like to make more videos, but for now, Omochao is good enough ;)

People making video after video, are usually people who are YouTube partners, and have established somewhat of a career off of making videos and growing their audience.

~~

Well... good for them, I suppose. I've never been able to stand a lot of those kinds of videos. If you're showing off a piece of work/art, that's a little different. But these "video blog" deals... what do people see in them? Regular blogs are almost intolerable as it is; why would you want to watch a video of someone just talking for an extended period of time? Sense it does not make.

Youtube is my secondary home, in case my home /v/ sets on fire.

I guess you are the only one who doesn't go that much into youtube OP, Youtube it's one of the best things that happened to the internet.

Youtube... youtube is my life man... ITS MY DRUG. Lol jk. But i do watch videos all the time. I usually watch LPers, video game commentators, but most importantly... pony vids. Hell if it wasn't for youtube, i wouldn't even be a Brony. Nuff said.

I can get that u can like readin' things rather than watching. I bet Twi would be the same heheh. I'm sure theres people out there like that.

I never spent much time there either, until recently. I still don't care much for vlogs or the "viral" videos much. Sure, they can be entertaining, but I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. I'm with the OP in that reading a book is far more entertaining.

This all changed dramatically when I realized that brony musicians tend to post download links in the comments of their YT videos. Now, I've subscribed to all of my favorite brony artists and wait breathlessly for the next piece of awesome that they upload.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else feel like this, or am I alone?

Youtube is for everything, but it's also good for nothing.

Actually I have to admit, you are the only person I've known so far who doesn't use it. Not that this is a bad thing honestly :3 I mean Youtube is good and also terrible in different ways XD