Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What gets you more excited?

Bronium

37 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better? To ask questions or find answers.

• Questions?
    • Answers.
    • Neither. ;.;
  2. 2. If you do like asking questions, which is better:

• Questions that help you understand the topic the question is based in.
    • Questions that broaden your knowledge, that go further beyond the topic.
  3. 3. If you like working out answers, which is better:

• Answers that give more questions.
    • Answers that give shortcuts to other answers.

For some of you, school's starting once again, and I was just thinking up some learning centered ideas. Here's one of them.

What gets you more excited Asking a good question or working out the answer to a hard question.

I mean, when I ask a really really hard question, I always get excited, because the answer is always so interesting, and is just such a different way of thinking. It's absolutely fantastic. The best part of my class time, is after the class where I barrage my teacher with questions and she explains them to me.

Or do you get really really pumped when you answer a hard question. Something that isn't so straight forward (like finding the finding the principle argument of a complex number in it's Cartesian form). More like a problem solving question that takes into account all that you've learnt in the whole chapter. I mean, it just makes you think in different ways and lets you apply your understanding without having to hold your hand. I don't find many of those type of questions in my text books (not even my year 12 one :( ). But when you do. Damn, it's awesome.

If you choose neither, why don't you like either of them?

See normally I love working out difficult things but over the past year (Due to sickness) Ive been really disconnected with my school work and learning in general... :huh: Couldnt focus on anything, lack of effort.... So I really havent made any contributions to anything in that regard..... I show up but dont ask questions.... and I barely ever did more than the bare minimum amount of work....

So for me its neither of them....

But I guess when I was well.... and in normal circumstances I would have said working out a difficult question ;)

Edited by Valureon

I love learning and figuring things out! As long as it's something I'm interested in, I don't really care why the ancient Greeks did what they did nor do I want to find out.

But finding out just how much of an impact gravity really does have on the universe, or something related to computers or physics, is just awesome!

Like how you don't get burned by fire walking if you go at a normal pace, because go too fast and you kick up ashes, which were acting as insulators, so you step on the coals, go too slow, and you sink through the ash and burn.

EDIT: So yeah, I get pretty excited as long as it's a topic I enjoy.

Edited by Archangel

*mind.exe has stopped working, rebooting*

Okay, I understand. Personally, I like finding the answers, and the shortcuts that come with them. It's making things easier in the long run.

Hmmm... looks like of the repliers on this thread so far, I'm the odd-pony out! So far, people have discussed answering or questioning about much more, shall we say, technical or scientific matters. But for me, being an American Studies major, I never deal with such subjects, not anymore anyway. Instead, I deal with political, religious, historical, and even metaphysical subjects, subjects that don't always have the most clear cut of answers. So with that in mind, I had to go with asking a good question, since more often, in my studies, a good question is how one broadens one's knowledge of the subjects that I study, even though I love giving a good answer as well. But generally, I don't very often give answers in my classes, so much as either (1) ask a good question, or (2) posit a good point by asking it as a question (such as "Does *blank* suggest *blank* in their writings?"). It's interesting though seeing how questioning and answering is different for different students studying different subjects. Nice thread topic Bronium!!! :D

Edited by Batbrony

I'm one of those people who can spend hours on wikipedia for fun. I'll start with some random interesting subject and read about it. When I come to something I don't understand, I click it and start reading that. If I don't understand something in that one, I do the same thing. Eventually I'll be pretty far away from the original article, at which point I'll usually decide that I have a decent understanding of the first thing I didn't get, and make my way back to the original article, which I can now read with plenty of extra background knowledge... until I run into the next thing I don't understand :P

I've gotten in trouble many times for doing this too long and neglecting other obligations. Dammit, physics, why must you be so interesting?!

Edited by Evilshy and His Own Ego

I personally love both. Asking a question or being asked a question forces a person's mind to think and explore which in turn knowledge will follow when an answer is found.

Personally I prefer looking for answers though. It feels amazing to break through the unknown and discover something you once had no knowledge of. Our minds are like computer storage devices but unlike computers we don't have to worry about MB or GB because our minds have unlimited storage capacity. So why not fill your mind with answers? In the end you'll know more than the person next to you who has no idea what's going on.

I have Socratic Discussion in alot of my Humanities classes, and we ask TONS of questions that lead to answers.

Hurray for Socratic Discussion!!!! Seeking knowledge for the sake of finding the truth is always better than just seeking knowledge for the sake of seeking knowledge, or even worse, seeking knowledge just to make a point. :ph34r: Socratic dialogue/oration powns pure, simple rhetoric any day of the week!!!!!!!! :angry:

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I'm more for asking questions, because there could be no answer if there isn't a good question! Questions should widen your knowledge, and Answers should give more questions, to widen your knowledge even more.

I don't think I've ever asked one of those good questions that makes the teacher think. I've always gotten more excited from figuring out a really hard math question. although, after two years of IB courses, I get excited if I understand anything at all.