Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Poster Wins

Discord!

4 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Go away na____ raptors :huh: . Nasty? Some of the runes are rotated :wacko: 

Yeah, but it should have been close enough. the letters carved on the block don't exactly match the guide either. I am using the unicode codeset for ogham runes (1680) but some of my runic TTFs don't match either (and honestly, I don't know if the font your browser uses is the same as the one mine uses - one of the joys of unicode)

• Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

Well, lots of fun stuff in unicode - the braille one is a little pointless though unless you can 3D print it.

⠇⠊⠅⠑  ⠞⠓⠊⠎

I can’t make any sense out of it, like Morse code :wacko: . The sense we get from runes or similar codes is the letters look similar.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, WWolf said:

I can’t make any sense out of it, like Morse code :wacko: . The sense we get from runes or similar codes is the letters look similar.

Actually its odd - I can translate morse I can hear, but can't sight read it.

in any case..

braille-alphabet-and-braille-numbers.png

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

Actually its odd - I can translate morse I can hear, but can't sight read it.

in any case..

braille-alphabet-and-braille-numbers.png

Looking at this I would’ve made modifications for it to be easier to learn. There’s a pattern but it gets broken... albeit once you know each letter it doesn’t matter.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, WWolf said:

Looking at this I would’ve made modifications for it to be easier to learn. There’s a pattern but it gets broken... albeit once you know each letter it doesn’t matter.

some patterns have to be broken. if you have K (⠅- 13) you can't have (⠨ - 46) because it would be hard to distinguish the slight offset when reading with your fingers. similarly, you could confuse E (⠑ - 15) with (⠢ - 26)

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

some patterns have to be broken. if you have K (⠅- 13) you can't have (⠨ - 46) because it would be hard to distinguish the slight offset when reading with your fingers. similarly, you could confuse E (⠑ - 15) with (⠢ - 26)

Yes I've noticed this :huh: . Also you can't have one symbol be a "shift" of another since it probably wouldn't be so easy detecting that shift with just your fingers :wacko: 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, WWolf said:

Yes I've noticed this :huh: . Also you can't have one symbol be a "shift" of another since it probably wouldn't be so easy detecting that shift with just your fingers :wacko: 

yup. both of those are shifts - one horizontally, one vertically.

6 minutes ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

yup. both of those are shifts - one horizontally, one vertically.

substitute.png

First problem:

Using v = a * t , it'll take 6.25 seconds to reach top speed. Using x = 0.5 *a*t^2, the raptor will travel 78 meters in that time. Someone running at 6 meters per second will travel just 36 meters in that time span, giving us a net displacement of 42 meters, meaning you'd be devoured just before the raptop even reached top speed :wacko: . (note 6 meters per second is fast.Average running speed is just  6mph or 3 m/s). I think the speeds for both are a bit higher than normal.

And actually I did the math wrong, give me a sec..

So if the raptop moved 78 meters in 6 seconds, that means the displacement between it and the person (assuming the person didn't move) was reduced to -38 meters (it would've passed the person by this much just going forward). The human reduced it by about 36 meters, bringing the displacement to -2 meters (negligible). 

Second one I'm still working on :huh: .

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

I feel a hungry raptor is good motivation for improving your sprint....

second one seems trickier. Might need to assume the two bottom raptors are just one moving not as fast :huh: ?

The second one is hilarious because you're trying to gain just fractions of a second of living :laugh: . Unless they have to accelerate...

Edited by WWolf

17 minutes ago, WWolf said:

second one seems trickier. Might need to assume the two bottom raptors are just one moving not as fast :huh: ?

The second one is hilarious because you're trying to gain just fractions of a second of living :laugh: . Unless they have to accelerate...

you can pretty much ignore one of the two lower ones.

You are clearly going to egress one of the two northern faces of the triangle; the raptor on the opposite point will be accelerating at the same speed as the lower raptor that is going to be closer to you, so won't catch up until you no longer care.

as they are stated as running towards you (and not on an intercept) both the lower and upper raptors will follow a curved path, initially INTO the triangle, and each forming an asymptote to your path. given the assumption would be that the listed accelleration would still apply to both raptors up until each reaches its maximum velocity (as the problem doesn't state) it would be fair to assume the inital path would cut though the centerpoint of the northern face perpendicular to that face, then as the upper raptor maxes out, would curve to prefer running more directly from the lower raptor (that would continue to accelerate until its top speed is reached) and in an ideal solution both the raptors would intercept at the same time. Obviously not -ideal- solution but it would still extend the run for the longest time possible.

The math is pretty interesting, yes.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

you can pretty much ignore one of the two lower ones.

You are clearly going to egress one of the two northern faces of the triangle; the raptor on the opposite point will be accelerating at the same speed as the lower raptor that is going to be closer to you, so won't catch up until you no longer care.

as they are stated as running towards you (and not on an intercept) both the lower and upper raptors will follow a curved path, initially INTO the triangle, and each forming an asymptote to your path. given the assumption would be that the listed accelleration would still apply to both raptors up until each reaches its maximum velocity (as the problem doesn't state) it would be fair to assume the inital path would cut though the centerpoint of the northern face perpendicular to that face, then as the upper raptor maxes out, would curve to prefer running more directly from the lower raptor (that would continue to accelerate until its top speed is reached) and in an ideal solution both the raptors would intercept at the same time. Obviously not -ideal- solution but it would still extend the run for the longest time possible.

The math is pretty interesting, yes.

No straight lines :U .

If you wanted to make it even more realistic (and complicated), can add a deceleration factor when the raptor has to turn. Oof.

At that point you just... try to build a numerical solution (i.e., very good approximation) than an analytical, complicated exact one.

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, WWolf said:

No straight lines :U .

if you have two equidistant attackers accellerating at the same speed, you are going to be on a straight line between them until something changes. Rincewind teaches us that speed is a sacrement :)

If you wanted to make it even more realistic (and complicated), can add a deceleration factor when the raptor has to turn. Oof.

yup. acceleration wouldn't be a constant, turning would impact speed, grip would be a factor - lots of things to consider.

At that point you just... try to build a numerical solution (i.e., very good approximation) than an analytical, complicated exact one.

ideal for op-amps and analogue computing :)

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

I would just jump as soon as all the raptors circled in so they could bump heads and get distracted for a moment. Then I would run or find something to climb on.

Or you could EXPLODE the raptors :yay: .

But yes that works too :huh: .

• Brohoof 1