Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy Hooves vs. Ditzy Doo

DottyDoo

Derpy is Ditzy - Ditzy is the canon name and Derpy is the fandom name.

Proof is in the first episode of "Doctor Whooves and Assistant" She Refers herself to be Ditzy, not Derpy. From then on the fandom nicknamed her Derpy because how "derpy" she was. 

I preferably like the name Derpy though, it kind of straightens the confusion between the two names.

They are one in the same. However, some people don't see them as such. I am one of those people. You can use Ditzy with me, but I will correct you by telling you her name is Derpy. I learned about her under Derpy, and will continue to use Derpy until the day I die. I'd say until I'm not a Brony, but that's less likely to ever happen than a sun from another universe crashing into our Pluto and obliterating it.

Ditzy Doo sounds more official mlp to me, and that's the one I prefer. I use them both interchangeably though since it's one and the same and I'm not obsessed with her like 90% of the fandom seems to be.

I do kind of wonder though if the Derpy name was never brought about, if the soccer moms would have complained about her or not. Would she still have been seen as offensive or just a clumsy pony.

• Brohoof 1

Derpy. Ditzy is cute and everything, but Derpy is the name I learned of her through, and it's the one we all decided to call her and the name the production team gave to her as a shout-out to our silly little fandom.

• Brohoof 1

I will call her whatever I feel like using at the moment, sometimes even mixing the two together. I, however, have a tendancy to say Ditzy over Derpy as I find it cuter myself, but no matter the name, she shall forever be my little muffin.

At the time in which I fell in love with the character, I knew her as Derpy Hooves. So to me, hearing someone call her Ditzy Doo, I'll know who they're talking about, but to me it will seem a little odd. Either way it doesn't affect me to an extent where it annoys me. I think of Derpy Hooves as a nickname to her real name, Ditzy Doo. 

Edited by TempoVelocity

I could swear we had this thread already, and I was right: http://mlpforums.com/topic/31829-derpy-hooves-vs-ditzy-doo/

And this was/is my response:

I personally like the idea of Ditzy being her real name and Derpy Hooves being her nickname. Plus, while most of the names in the show are anything but subtle, I do think actually having the last name 'Hooves' is a bit too on the nose even by this show's standards; as a nickname though, it works 'cause she has derpy hooves, hence why she would let an entire piano fall to the ground.

• Brohoof 1

What about Ditzy "Derpy" Doo?

That's what I doo. ;)

Although I usually have it without the quotes. Derpy being her actual middle name. I know several people who prefer to go by their middle name.

When I wrote a Doctor Whooves fanfic, and had the character as the assistant, I asked my wife which name she'd go with. She said Derpy, as it sounded softer, more pleasant. While Ditzy sounded sharper and more like the name of a trust-fund baby, like 'Mitzy', or 'Parker'. Nothing to do with the meanings of the words, just how they *sounded*.

• Brohoof 1

I'm definitely a fan of Derpy Hooves, I don't feel the name is offensive at all, but people on the other hand are too easily offended. The writers and animators can't just tip their hat to the fanbase like that and buck it all up. I'd almost prefer it if they just deleted the episode all together than butcher it as badly as they did.

Edited by TheUnionJake

Both Derpy and Ditzy are fine names to me. I prefer Derpy though. It was the original name before it got changed. But Ditzy sounds more... like a name that would be on the show. Buttercup though? No. There's no way Derpy looks like a Buttercup.

How could Derpy be offensive?!? She wasn't extremely disabled. She was more of a loveable klutz than a disabled wall eyed pony. :derp:

Edited by Moonlight Magician