Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Anime: Which show should I start off with?

OkBuddy

Lucky Star, each ep is only about 20 mins long, there's only 26 of them so completing the series isn't a real chore. Also its funny and there's no gore and stuff either.

Ahh Lucky Star

I'll just leave these here:

Two moments out of many. I'd definitely recommend this anime if you're not into fighting too much.

I'm not much of an anime watcher, but I do read plenty of manga.

Personally, my favorite is O-parts Hunter (also called 666 Satan). It's not long, only 76 chapters, but it's a really good action series. It was written by Masashi Kishimoto's little brother, and you can definitely see similarities between this and Naruto. But personally, I like it much more than Naruto.

D.Gray-man is also pretty good, but it gets really weird and hard to follow after awhile, before completely going off the deep end and becoming nearly impossible to understand.

I have watched the Deadman Wonderland anime, and I think the manga is better.

Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the best mangas I've ever read, I'd definitely recommend it.

If you like Fairy Tail, you might want to check out Rave, it's predecessor. You'll notice tons of similarities and old characters. It's a pretty good read, but it is guilty of just about every manga cliche in existence :P

Wow, I'm getting so much anime I can at least wait until season 3! I mean I'm looking at so many genres of anime you guys are giving me.

It's just mind boggling. Thanks for the help though!

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

Well Sailor Moon was a real good anime. It was shown on Cartoon Network like many years ago, but it was also shown on other channels. It is a true manga and anime, not the ones you are thinking. Probably that Bakugan (If that's how you spell it) or Beyblade. Or you could watch...Inuyasha, Bleach, Full metal Alchemist, Tokyo mew mew, haha

Yu-Gi-Oh! is DEFINITELY an anime, and a pretty cool one, no matter WHAT 4Kids did to it. If you don't like what 4Kids did to it, go watch the abridged series. It is laugh-your-flank-off hilarious!! And it has cool music!

... I have one question, HOW old are you? I mean I'm not going to watch Yu-gi-oh!. I've watched before when I was younger and I wasn't a big fan of it. Now if you will excuse me, I'll be watching some Lucky Star. :3 It's awesome.

P.S Abridged series = straight face

P.P.S Damn it! I was being a hypocrite!

Edited by DJ PINK-3

... I have one question, HOW old are you? I mean I'm not going to watch Yu-gi-oh!. I've watched before when I was younger and I wasn't a big fan of it. Now if you will excuse me, I'll be watching some Lucky Star. :3 It's awesome.

First off, it's MY opinion, and in my opinion, Yu-Gi-Oh is AWESOME! Second, have you SEEN Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series? It's too flippin' funny!

Wow. Way to criticize the anime just because it was dubbed for a younger audience here in America. :P

Lucky Star is a very good anime. I always compare it to Seinfeld, which is another good "conversationalist" sitcom that does random humor.

Well Sailor Moon was a real good anime. It was shown on Cartoon Network like many years ago, but it was also shown on other channels.

I used to watch Sailor Moon all the time too when the other host from Space Ghost was hosting Toonami. They did a pretty good job keeping faithful to the original Japanese cut.

I'm gonna recommend the only anime I've seen fully and that AegisReflector also recommended and that is Cowboy Bebop. There are some aspects of the story (or lack thereof) that kinda still get to me but its still fairly well written and the soundtrack is phenominal.

edit: Toonami aftermath plays all of the anime that Toonami used to play among other old cartoons from Cartoon Network.

Edited by A Blithering Div

Death Note, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Neon Genesis Evangelion, K-On!, and Lucky Star are ones I'd recommend, Death Note and Haruhi Suzumiya being my favorites.

I'd definitely recommend the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, not that cheesy Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters anime that you are more than likely familiar with. No no no, the original, which is titled by fans "Yu-Gi-Oh!: Season Zero" only aired in Japan, is much more interesting, and has more mature themes in it. And not to mention, WAY LESS CARD GAMES! Yes, that's right, you don't have to sit through 30 minutes of badly developed characters playing a card game for children! The most you'd ever sit through is MAYBE 8 minutes, in probably one or two of the say fifteen episodes. The rest is completely different, and actually catches your attention. At least give it some consideration.

Edited by YeahManWAZZAP
  • Brohoof 1

Angel Beats (sad, funny, epic, AMAZING anime)

Zero No Tsukaima (funny, romance, action. Very lovable characters.)

Sora No Otoshimono (funny, epic, dramatic, romance. Amazing animation. Not recommended for children though)

Clannad/Clannad: After Story (dramatic, romance, sad. One of the best anime I have ever seen. But be prepared to cry)

I watched all of these with English subtitles. I'm not sure if the dubbed versions are good or not, so if you don't mind subtitles, I recommend watching them like that :P

For Shōjo anime I'd recommend either Saint Seiya or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Another benefit from these is that they don't suffer from major DBZ syndrome like most action anime nowadays.

• Brohoof 1

If you want something somewhat dramatic, I recommend Casshern Sins, with the Japanese dub, if you can (I haven't heard the English dub, so I can't comment on that). Most of the series is episodic, which I tend to dislike, but the themes, art style and recurring characters gave me great incentive to watch it all. The main plot starts to pick up VERY late, which leaves it feeling somewhat rushed, but I can't complain about what content is there.

For something fun and action-y, Soul Eater is a pretty good choice with it's entire main cast being quite the endearing bunch (their odd, but simple names really stuck to me :) ). I really liked that series (and there were a few scenes that brought me to tears!).

Edited by StingeMuffin

I can't recommend The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or Ouran High School Host Club enough, especially if you're into romantic humor and obsessive parodying (you seem to like Lucky Star). Ouran actually got me into anime due to it's humor, over the top characters and situations and a realistic female main character. It's kind of cheesy though, but in a good way. Like MLP is.

I watched the Ouran English dub BTW, thanks to Netflix. The voice acting, again, is over the top, but still decent voice acting, and the voices fit the characters perfectly.

Edited by Rarietty

I'm actually looking at this thread purely becuase I need more good anime's to watch. I have seen Gurren Lagann and it's brilliant, It got me into anime so I'm sure it could do the same for you :) It's badass mecha anime in case you were wondering.

I've heard that Cowboy Bebop is pretty good too.

• 2 weeks later...

People recommending Naruto? Nobody should watch that garbage. It's 80 percent filler and that's just lame. Anyhow, complaints about that aside, watch Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Yuyu Hakusho, Samurai Champloo, Azumanga Daioh, Dragonball (proceed to Z if you like it) and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Those are a good start. Oh, and Ranma 1/2 as well. And Case Closed. I'm forgetting a couple I'm sure but there's a good start.

I'll list animes I loved.

FLCL

Tenchi Muyo

Tenchi Universe

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Gundam Wing

School Rumble

Full Metal Alchemist

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Samurai Champloo

Ghost in the Shell

Dragonball up to but not including GT

Big O

And for no reason other than I can and I love it so, Gundam Wing's opening.

Fun fact about Gundam Wing. It's almost entirely hand drawn, with next to no computer animation in it.

Edited by Vy'drach

Stein's Gate is pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fljuW_Fvyo that's a clip from the OVA 8'D

Keroro Gunsou was a good one... 

Both animes I believe are underrated, oh, and I wouldn't suggest you start with a big series like Naruto. Even though I love Naruto and One Piece etc. Keroro for example, is a 300+ episode series, Stein's Gate is only 24 episodes + an OVA so that's kinda like 25.

Madoka Magica might be an excellent series however, to start off with. It's a magical girl anime with a twist. It's darker then the average magical girl, and it only has 12 episodes.

Madoka I think is coming out with a movie this year... and also, it has 2 manga out in the US so far.

https://vimeo.com/23525432 (I couldn't find one on YouTube 8O and the trailer by the official company is so misleading XD leaving you to believe this anime is actually cute.)

BTW, if someone likes

Nobody should watch that garbage
Though asking a forum like this, your rarely going to get decent, honest advice. No one can choose for you. It's best you just go on YT and watch a bunch of AMVs or anime openings to see which one catches your interest. In all honesty, it's up to you what anime you like. And if someone says that garbage insert anime title don't get discouraged.

Eventually you will find a group for forum like this, like the MLP forum that's here for the same reason as you, though no one will agree with all of your opinions 100%. You have to adjust to people and their dislikes.

No anyway, back to anime. Like I had suggested, Stein's Gate, Keroro, Samurai Champloo are some of my personal favorites. Though I did mention that SC is a little bloody.

SG is prefect, it's awesome in my opinion and as well as Madoka Magica.

Though these are my opinions, my best suggestion for you would to try and figure out what anime you like best on your own. You'll never get a true honest opinion by asking random people. How do you know that I'm not being honest? Just trust what your gut tells you! Edited by TheBigAnimation

• 9 months later...

I've only seen one anime, Pokemon. That was when I was a little kid, but now I feel like I'm missing out on so many cool shows. So, does anyone have any good anime series' for beginners?

Extra notes: I don't mind much gore or...yeah. I like fantasy but I'd like to see some more 'real' stuff as well. Thanks!

:)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just jump right in.

My favorites are Naruto, Soul Eater, and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.  They're all pretty gory at times but nothing you can't handle I'm sure.

I haven't seen the anime but ive read One Piece and Bleach and would recommend them both too.  Elfen Lied is a good manga/anime too but it has some nudity if you'd rather not see that. And while the anime of soul eater is pretty great the manga has a longer story and better ending

Unfortunately they're all fantasy though...  Sorry.  The most realistic is probably Elfen Lied

Oh and of course Dragonball is always a fun anime to watch ^^  Dragonball Z is good too but I prefer Dragonball over it personally

Edited by Titan Rising
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I only watch action packed anime. 

If you like fights: Yu yu hakusho, Ruroni Kenshin (some romance and history in that too)

if you like thrillers: Deathnote, Monster, and Code geass They usually end on a suspenseful note 

Realism sounds like a slice of life anime can't help there. I only listed shows that were done you might as well start there.

Edited by SkullCrusherX
  • Brohoof 1

For fantasy and such, I'd recommend Soul Eater. If you want vulgar humor, Desert Punk is the way to go. As for 'real' stuff, I'd say that you should watch Azumanga Daioh.

• Brohoof 1