Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rank the "Fighting is Magic" Songs

Sunny Fox

With Fighting is Magic still on the distant horizon, I have been enjoying the regular updates from Mane 6, particularly the music for the Mane characters. The talent shown by those who are making this music is truly awesome. I have them all, and I listen to them all. But of course, some I like better than others, so I'm wondering how others might be ranking the songs. I'm going to put down my thoughts. Comments and your own ranking are welcomed. I might make a poll when the last Theme makes its appearance, as it wouldn't be fair until then.

5. Last, and unfortunately least: Rainbow Dash's Theme

Most of these songs make great use of electric guitar at certain points in the song. However, this being RD, of course the whole thing has to be electric guitar. Make no mistake, this is an awesome song, with shades of RD's Gala Melody in there, along with some other things. Despite this, the guitar being constantly present, it lacks the oomph that it provides in the other songs. It's a little obvious; WYSIWYG. This song is kind of like RD herself, nothing hidden and all the awesome coming to the fore. Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me as the others do, so it's in last place. The other reason is that most of the other songs have a lull towards the middle, something this song seems to lack. It may grow on me as I listen to it more, though.

4. Second release Applejack's Theme

The bluegrass/banjo is awesome, and perfectly appropriate for Applejack. There's also a great contrast with the electric guitar, and the two seem almost to partake in a musical duel. It's loud, proud, and a little competitive, like Applejack herself. On the negative side... the clapping thing just doesn't gel for me. It's fine when it's just in the background, but the middle of the song has a piece that's just clapping. To me, it doesn't good, it sounds corny. This is the reason why this song gets the 4th slot.

3. Third release Rarity's Theme

An elegant song for the elegant lady. The keyboard/piano adds a bit of class to the proceedings, and it's slightly techno tone provides a nice balance. Like the other songs, it reminds me of the pony it is celebrating. Rarity has an old world charm to go along with her progressive stance on fashion, providing a appealing contrast. I don't really have any faults to point out for this song. Some of the others are simply better, leaving it stuck at 3. Rarity, you're still number 1 in my book, but your theme is sadly not.

2. Fourth release Pinkie Pie's Theme

I'll be honest, at first this was my least favourite song. It seemed too rowdy, too loud and too frantic. But as I listened to it more, I began to like it. It's a simple, feel good song that starts strongly and just keeps on going. It's a great song to walk to and from work to, even if my dancing gets me some strange glances. It even builds up to a few crescendos, but still has that mellow lull in the middle that good songs should have... and from there it gets interesting. Just when you think it has to end, it just gets faster. This is the best part of the song for me... it's just a "buck yeah!" kind of feeling. Like Pinkie herself, it can come on a bit strong, but seeing past the first impression will provide you with something to treasure that you couldn't see before.

1. The Reining Champeen, the First and the Best: Twilight Sparkle's Theme.

As befits our purple badass bookworm heroine, this song is just the best. A kicking beat, and xylophones (perfect instrument for an intellectual like Twilight - light airy sounds are perfect for an Aquarius - the highest of the air signs). The start of this song has a great build-up. It just gets you so excited. Then a bit of a lull happens, before it begins to build up again. And another lull. At this point, that awesome guitar part makes it's appearance, along with trumpets (for Twilight's connection to royal) and that ever present, ever perfect xylophone melody. This song really has no flaws, is perfect for the pony it represents, and it deserves to be number one.

Sorry for waxing lyrical, but these songs just do that for me. So, again, any comments or contentions are welcome. Give me your own rankings and reasons.

• Brohoof 3

Nice ranking :3 I can't really rank them, myself, as it is. I've only listened to each theme a handful of times since they've come out, so I don't think I could do so very well without listening to them more. Right now, I enjoy them all equally for different reasons, and because they each match the character they go to fairly well.

• Brohoof 1

Nice ranking :3 I can't really rank them, myself, as it is. I've only listened to each theme a handful of times since they've come out, so I don't think I could do so very well without listening to them more. Right now, I enjoy them all equally for different reasons, and because they each match the character they go to fairly well.

Ill agree with this, they defiantly fit each character's personality really well from the note's used to the pace of the music.

I do prefer Pinkiepie's song to the rest, but i love how fast Pinkiepie's is and the high notes used in it. I'll agree with what you said about it tbh :), it sum's it up quite nicely!

1. AppleJack's Theme- It's the unconventional design and flow of the track that just makes it stand out from what I've seen so far. Hey! If I'm gonna get my ass handed to me, it better be by this track.

2. Twilight's Theme- It's just so her, no? Almost simplistic in it's execution until you delve deeper on how the song transitions from each section.

3. Pinkie's Theme- If you had told me this was a track in a fighting game, I wouldn't of believed you. Seriously! I would listened to it as a stand alone song if I didn't know better.

4. Rarity's Theme- This one lost me, it just doesn't necessarily feel like it fits the character but I guess it just grows on ya'.

5. Dash's Theme- Aside from that little "At The Gala" section. There's really not a lot of moments in the song that stand out due to the tempo.

• Brohoof 1

For the music~

1. Rarity's - It just sounds the most appealing to me.

2. Twilight's - The bells and all plus the epic part in the middle was really pleasing to my ears.

3. Rainbow's - Guitar sounds epic, but a bit too much.

4. AJ's - Would've been first had not there been this weird clapping and strange change of tone.

5. Pinkie's - Nice, but... at the end, it was a really strange change of tone. And a bit too many of that instrument... XD

For the fitting~

1. Applejack - Fits her like a pair of galoshes, except for the creepy tone part! :ph34r:

2. Twilight - The "sparkling" effect in the music doesn't remind you of Twilight Sparkle? ^_^

3. Pinkie - Jumpy, excitable, just like her. :lol:

4. Rarity and Rainbow - While their music may be epic, Rainbow's is certainly is too much guitar and even as she being the "coolest" of the group didn't really match it... and Rarity's is a bit like metal rock or whatever it's called. -_- :D

1. Rainbow Dash - I know, I know, I just said RD instead of AJ, but........RDs just sounds more intense, more thrilling, and I just love it all around.

2. Applejack - See? I didn't forget her. I love her country stage theme, it's just that I like RD's a little more.

3. Rarity - Very........elegant and techno-ish for a song about a beauty queen :)

4. Pinkie Pie - It's nice, cheery, and quirky, but it's not mah favorite.

5. Twi - I just don't really like it that much

1. Fluttershy - I really think the theme suits her quiet, almost non existent personality well.

1. Rainbow Dash - Most awesome of the lot of them, the guitar playing is great and the riffs are epic, plus I think it suits Dash's personality the best.

2. Twilight Sparkle - This one is pretty good aswell, I really liked the instrumentation and the composition and at 0:25 it really starts getting awesome.

3. Applejack - Theme suits her country style well, and 0:44 is by far one of the best epic pieces of all the themes.

4. Rarity - I think its a good, elegant sounding theme that suits her, even if it really doesn't make much sense as a battle theme.

5. Pinkie PIe - Kinda suits her, and has grown on me a bit as a fun theme...

Edited by Carbon
  • Brohoof 1

Oh dear oh dear.

I listen to all of them daily (Because I play FiM, and listen to PP theme... Because PP theme), and now to rank them? Well...

Rank 5 : Twilight Sparkle's Theme - Just for some reason it doesn't appeal to me as much as the others. Still a great one.

Rank 4 : Rarity's Theme - The theme I hear the most because her stage has zero lags and is the only stage I play if challenged. Has a good, classy vibe to it.

Rank 3 : Applejack's Theme - Simply put, the guitar part feels like a auto-shotgun of awesomeness, and overall it is so perfectly fitting to both Applejack and Sweet Apple Acres.

Rank 2: Rainbow Dash's Theme - Guitar, guitar, guitar. Trumps even Pinkie Pie's Theme in energy levels for me. Definetily gets me into the feel for some flankwhooping<!

Rank 1 : Pinkie Pie's Theme - Reminds me of Dr. Pepper. You hate it or you love it. Considering it ranks as 1 for me, take a wild guess how is it for me. It's happy, energetic, and fills my mind with randomness - a perfect state to play Pinkie Pie as, and just amazingly fitting for her. The jazz feel when it calms down into the GatG part is splendid.

Personally, I think all of them are great for their own reasons. They're supposed to capture different characters with vastly different personae, so the styles of the themes are idiosyncratic.

Twilight's Theme and Rarity's Theme are probably my favorites. There is something about the former which reminds you that this is a fighting game starring cartoon equines; the latter has a techno edge which I quite enjoy. Rainbow Dash's Theme sounds as if it should belong in a Dragon Ball game---not that such is necessarily a bad thing---but the true highlight of the song is the "At The Gala" guitar riff. Applejack's Theme, like Twilight's Theme, is in keeping with the flavor of the show.

I'm lukewarm on Pinkie Pie's Theme. I know it's supposed to be hyper and eccentric, but I really can't get into the rhythm of the song as well as I can with the others.