Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pride

Titan Rising

What do you think of it? What do you think about being proud of yourself? Or taking pride in your work?

Do you think it's a good thing? Good in moderation perhaps?

I believe it leads to arrogance. It is to think highly of yourself and put yourself on a pedestal above others. It can make you believe you're special, beyond understanding by others, and ultimately may be used to justify certain actions - like the destruction of others or their ideas. Conversely, I think it leads to self destruction for those men who crave pride yet can find none. Am I wrong?

• Brohoof 1

I think it's okay to be proud of your work, but not become boastful or reliant on getting praise. That's when things get way out of hand.

• Brohoof 1

I have absolutely no pride in anything I ever do. I belittle myself constantly and am just very... mean to myself. I've been told this a lot, but can't be arsed to fix myself.

It really depends on what people take pride in that varies if it is bothersome to me or not. I approve of being proud of one's self for accomplishing a self-made goal, but not so much when people think their, say, drawing that they drew, is absolutely wonderful, when in fact, it's not so great. If they say, "It's good for my abilities" or something, it's not as bad.

It's hard to explain, but you can usually tell whenever someone has good pride or bad pride, just with word choice.

• Brohoof 2

What's wrong with being proud of something you accomplished? I for one love that feeling of self pride when I know I did something right or proved myself better than another being. And I'm not arrogant at all

Just as there's a level of pride that becomes arrogance, there's a level of modesty that becomes self-depreciation.

One should know when they've done well, and own that fact, but not rub it in people's faces.

• Brohoof 1

I think it is okay to be proud of your work. But arrogance is of course a by product of pride if it is not kept in check at all times. Recall to when Rainbow became a hero, but ended up getting way to arrogant and the other ponies had to dress up as the Mare Do Well, in order for her to finally cave...

Pride like Rainbow Dash's would actually cause other people to start viewing you as a braggart (sorry RD fans) but pride like Fluttershy's - just once in a while thinking you've accomplished something - wouldn't be healthy for self-esteem.

Just as there's a level of pride that becomes arrogance, there's a level of modesty that becomes self-depreciation.

One should know when they've done well, and own that fact, but not rub it in people's faces.

I wonder if self-depreciation is a bad thing, I think it's only bad if you let it limit your ability, but I do think there is a difference between being proud or modest and trying your best at things. You can think nothing of yourself and accomplish great things, but I think this is only possible by not relishing in your achievements, or even thinking of them as achievements, it is important to do things for the moment - not for the ends.

It really depends on what people take pride in that varies if it is bothersome to me or not. I approve of being proud of one's self for accomplishing a self-made goal, but not so much when people think their, say, drawing that they drew, is absolutely wonderful, when in fact, it's not so great. If they say, "It's good for my abilities" or something, it's not as bad.

So you think it's okay to be proud of yourself as long as other people approve of that pride?

Edited by Hollowshield

I wonder if self-depreciation is a bad thing, I think it's only bad if you let it limit your ability, but I do think there is a difference between being proud and trying your best at things.

Everything's bad at a certain level. Just as too much pride can blind someone to their flaws, too much self-depreciation can keep someone from even attempting to become better.

Balance is the key.

• Brohoof 1

I have to admit that when I'm good at something, I like to show it off, because I want to be seen and recongnized, but I handle myself with modesty and humbleness, when I have to be thankful and grateful, I do.

yes, I take pride to myself, when I deserve it, when I don't, I just admit it, that I'm not good at this or that. I never get to the point of being cocky, I hate those kind of people, and I will pop their bubble and send them back to reality if I have to do it, actually being like that has relation with low self-esteem, that's the way I see it.

I think it's fine to be proud of your accomplishments, but I think it is possible to overdo it. Like when people boast about their work and stuff. That's when it gets bad to me... I can be proud of myself, for my guitar playing, but I won't dare say I'm better then anyone else, because that just shows my arrogance. So it can lead to arrogance, if you let it.

Some people say Im alone because I have impossible standards. But anyone who says that is an idiot and doesn't deserve to breathe the same air as me.

Legitimate answer:

I think there is nothing wrong in being proud in good hard honest work. Its when you start boasting that it becomes an issue. See "Fall Weather Friends" and "Applebuck Season"

I believe that feeling Pride in your accomplishments is good, but you shouldn't rub it in other peoples faces. Like, last year after the state wrestling tournament when I tied with another kid on my team for ninth place, I didn't flip out and start acting like I was just as good as him because I knew that he was better than me and I just got an easy bracket. I think Pride is something you keep inside yourself, because if you are truly Proud of something then you don't need to tell everyone about it. It is bad to beat on yourself, but if you aren't doing anything well, then you really shouldn't be Proud. You should just work harder until you ARE good at it, and have the RIGHT to be Proud.

Well, there's confidence, pride (Twilight), and then there's slight arrogance (Rainbow Dash), and then there's just plain obnoxious (Trixie). IT's healthy to be pleased when you do something well, for example I was very proud when I wrote a fantasy story that my friend, who hates fantasy with a passion, read and decided to give fantasy a second chance. But there are days when I read my work and I think it's pretty darn good, but other days I'll read it, compare it to other fanfics, and I get dejected because I know I'll never be good enough to be published.

I have to admit that when I'm good at something, I like to show it off, because I want to be seen and recongnized, but I handle myself with modesty and humbleness, when I have to be thankful and grateful, I do.

yes, I take pride to myself, when I deserve it, when I don't, I just admit it, that I'm not good at this or that. I never get to the point of being cocky, I hate those kind of people, and I will pop their bubble and send them back to reality if I have to do it, actually being like that has relation with low self-esteem, that's the way I see it.

Hmm that's another thing I'm curious about - whether or not we actually deserve praise for anything we do.

I had very low self esteem for a long time (and still do to some extent but I'm feeling much better as of late), and it was largely because there are things about myself that I can not change that I had absolutely despised. Now I sort of believe that hating things about yourself is the equivalent of chasing after pride, and in cases where you can't change it you develop a self loathing defeatist attitude. Now I think it's more important to do your best to recognize what you can not do and what you can not be, and focus on the things you can do and can be.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm that's another thing I'm curious about - whether or not we actually deserve praise for anything we do.

I had very low self esteem for a long time (and still do to some extent but I'm feeling much better as of late), and it was largely because there are things about myself that I can not change that I had absolutely despised. Now I sort of believe that hating things about yourself is the equivalent of chasing after pride, and in cases where you can't change it you develop a self loathing defeatist attitude. Now I think it's more important to do your best to recognize what you can not do and what you can not be, and focus on the things you can do and can be.

I mentioned the self-esteem thing, because normally the people that has a lot of pride, tend to be cocky and rude to other people, and it is that way, because they feel insecure about themselves so they prefer to point out people flaws and just be jerks overall, because that feeds their pride. An example of this, bullies.

Now about what you said, I don't have a proper answer to that, I can't say that your right or wrong, because people react differently, that's such a deep thought.

• Brohoof 1

I mentioned the self-esteem thing, because normally the people that has a lot of pride, tend to be cocky and rude to other people, and it is that way, because they feel insecure about themselves so they prefer to point out people flaws and just be jerks overall, because that feeds their pride. An example of this, bullies.

Now about what you said, I don't have a proper answer to that, I can't say that your right or wrong, because people react differently, that's such a deep thought.

Yeah sorry about that ^^ lol I know I went a little bit off on a tangent there but I wanted to try and reinforce one of the points I made in my first post.

I understand what you're saying though and I do think you're right - the only conceivable reason I can think of for a person to make fun of another is to put themselves on a pedestal. Whether it's because they're insecure or just want to make themselves feel more important, I don't think it matters. It all goes back to pride and seeking pride.

• Brohoof 1

I think like Crispy said balance is key, and balance is really key to anything.

I take a lot of pride in my work, I almost have to in my line of work, (dog grooming) if I can't be proud of the job I have done for my client then they aren't going to pay me or continue to use my services and will either use another person in the salon or go to another salon, which means I can't pay my bills or provide food for me and my boyfriend.

It doesn't matter what line of work I have ever been in though I take a huge amount of pride in it, but not to the point I am arrogant or demand praise, I don't care if I receive praise from my boss or management, the pride I want is knowing when I go home at the end of my shift that I have done my job to the best of my ability, and now with this job, knowing I have taken care of my clients and their dogs and that they are happy.

I'm learning, slowly to take pride in myself too, which is not a bad thing as long as their is balance in it, I think you need to have pride in yourself, it's a way of loving yourself, but if you overdue it, it is just as bad as self loathing.

I take pride in the person I am, my spiritual beliefs, and my abilities, something I have struggled with and continue to, I use to HATE myself, to the point I didn't nurture myself, to a point it inhibited me from success and left me severely limited and only made things worse and worse for me (not receiving help for my generalized anxiety or PTSD, flunking out of college once, staying at a job that I loathed and was only making my mental state worse, getting in emotionally abusive relationships, letting myself be manipulated by people) If you don't have any self pride, you attract people to you that will take advantage of that, if you only depreciate yourself you don't allow yourself to see success or improvement.

Balance, Balance, Balance, it is key to pride or anything