mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

Menace%20of%20the%20Herd_Kuehnelt-Leddih

I am reading Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn's The Menace of the Herd or Procrustes at Large.

He discusses the herdist mentality where man is increasingly reduced to a mere quantitative entity; notions of equality and democracy reduces man to the lowest common denominator, and are contrary to the notion of liberty. Some of what he writes reminds me of ideas from other intellectuals, such as Guénon's idea of modernity being the reduction of everything to quantity (as opposed to elevation to quality); de Jouvenel's idea of the high-low middle mechanism, and that liberty is an aristocratic value; and Spengler's distinction between culture and civilization.

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-07-09 at 6:00 PM, Otaku-sempai said:

So...The Canterbury Tales on an alien world? 

Pretty much that. To be honest I did not get to read The Canterbury Tales myself, but it is one comparison that appears in a lot of reviews of Hyperion. Seeing how common it is I presume that it's simply true ;) 

Overall definitely a book worthy of reading. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Sir Hugsalot said:

Pretty much that. To be honest I did not get to read The Canterbury Tales myself, but it is one comparison that appears in a lot of reviews of Hyperion. Seeing how common it is I presume that it's simply true ;) 

Overall definitely a book worthy of reading. 

Yeah, the format was based on The Canterbury Tales. I loved Hyperion but the sequel wasn't nearly as good. Tell us what you think of it.

Then I think the other two books, which happen further in the future, are great too.

• Brohoof 1

image.png.b2411a92f9c7e03ce3bca3a4aaaca4b5.png

Still looking for time to finish this amazing book. It is my 2nd attempt since I stopped reading this in the middle and then I felt like I want to read it from the begging. It's quite amazing how far we've come with the medicine and how it looked like only 150 years ago. Got some other Jürgen's books (The triumpf of the surgery) but I feel like I am really bad with time organazing... Anyway, the book tells the story how the surgeries looked like before antimicrobals and general anasthesia were discovered or it acctually describes the events when it is being discovered and how it effects the world. This book is a blast and I can recommend it to everyone, no matter if you are interested in medicine or not :)

• Brohoof 1

Well, Dante's La Divina Comedia with illustrations of Dore.

Actually I have two copies, one is fancy album version, second one is very old book from library which probably does not exist anymore, much more handy to read in a bed.

The hard reading. I enjoyed it at first, but farther - harder.

• Brohoof 2

I sometimes feel like a barbarian because I have never read Dante's Divine Comedy and I can imagine it's not easy. My guess is you need to be focused and have some knowledge about the medieval world to enjoy it...

• Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, Finding_Marty said:

I sometimes feel like a barbarian because I have never read Dante's Divine Comedy and I can imagine it's not easy. My guess is you need to be focused and have some knowledge about the medieval world to enjoy it...

Like Conan the Barbarian? That's awesome hah! Yes, you're right it made of references to Italian politic situation of that years on 50% 

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Crypty Scribbles said:

Like Conan the Barbarian? That's awesome hah!

No, I never liked his image :P and I have never seen any serie nor read any comic book concerning him... Feels like I am coming from the Stone Age :wau:

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Finding_Marty said:

No, I never liked his image :P and I have never seen any serie nor read any comic book concerning him... Feels like I am coming from the Stone Age :wau:

Actually Conan has multiple images. It differs from natural leader with sharp mind and speaking many languages to uneducated almost nude man who can not read. Many writers wrote books about him, plus inconsistent movies, cartoons and comic books.

If we are talking about books, original stories by Robert Howard is important part of literature history as origin of heroic fantasy prose as a genre and I appreciate it a lot. ^•^ Even if they seem naive nowadays.

Edited by Crypty Scribbles
  • Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Finding_Marty said:

It's not that hard, really. You've probably seen things based on it already where somebody travels through different levels of heaven and hell.

48 minutes ago, Crypty Scribbles said:

Actually Conan has multiple images. It differs from natural leader with sharp mind and speaking many languages to uneducated almost nude man who can not read. Many writers wrote books about him, plus inconsistent movies, cartoons and comic books.

If we are talking about books, original stories by Robert Howard is important part of literature history as origin of heroic fantasy prose as a genre and I appreciate it a lot. ^•^ Even if they seem naive nowadays.

Yep, that was fantasy even before LOTR and the beginnings of Sword and Sorcery. Have you ever read the Kull stories? I think I like them more than Conan.

• Brohoof 2
  • Thanks 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Tao said:

Elf Quest Vol 1 which is a VERY think book :Cozy:

Nice! I discovered ElfQuest back in the early days of the comic, also around the time I found Cerebus the Aardvark

image.jpeg.7868ce338d04504707d291d3403ee11d.jpeg    image.jpeg.b8680577381d1c6aa47dcaf28e7cae61.jpeg

Edited by Otaku-sempai

27 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

It's not that hard, really. You've probably seen things based on it already where somebody travels through different levels of heaven and hell.

Yep, that was fantasy even before LOTR and the beginnings of Sword and Sorcery. Have you ever read the Kull stories? I think I like them more than Conan.

It's not that I have never heard about it. References to the book can be found in many places, even games. I just always wanted to read it :)

1 hour ago, Crypty Scribbles said:

The only Conan image I know is a half-naked barbarian fighting with a sword which doesn't mean this is the only image. And the Howard's stories have had a huge impact on the literature. Together with The Chronicles of Narnia they led to a creation of the fantasy genre (or at least this is what I onced learnt :D).

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Finding_Marty said:

It's not that I have never heard about it. References to the book can be found in many places, even games. I just always wanted to read it :)

The only Conan image I know is a half-naked barbarian fighting with a sword which doesn't mean this is the only image. And the Howard's stories have had a huge impact on the literature. Together with The Chronicles of Narnia they led to a creation of the fantasy genre (or at least this is what I onced learnt :D).

Robert E. Howard should probably be regarded as the father of modern Swords & Sorcery fantasy. C.S. Lewis' Narnia was a very different kind of fantasy, a precursor (along with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and others) to the Isekai genre infused with a heavy dose of allegory. And J.R.R. Tolkien basically invented modern high fantasy. 

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

8 hours ago, Crypty Scribbles said:

Only "By this Axe I Rule". Didn't know that there's many of them. I'll check it, thank you ^•^

There aren't as many stories as Conan, you can get them all in one book. Or they're also public domain.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Otaku-sempai said:

Robert E. Howard should probably be regarded as the father of modern Swords & Sorcery fantasy. C.S. Lewis' Narnia was a very different kind of fantasy, a precursor (along with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and others) to the Isekai genre infused with a heavy dose of allegory. And J.R.R. Tolkien basically invented modern high fantasy. 

This is just something I learnt when I was preparing for my final oral exam from the literature. I guess that subdivision of the fantasy genre is much more complex than what I know :D 

• Brohoof 2