Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

Currently reading The Civilization Of The Renaissance In Italy. It's . . . a bit of a tractor manual, but I'm finding some parts interesting enough. :mellow:

The King’s Prey: St. Dymphna of Ireland. What a book! I wanted a simple biographical account of St. Dymphna’s life but I found this dramatization of it, which still covers all the known aspects of her life but also re-creates a very tangible setting of 7th century Ireland. 

• Hugs 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been super into Dracula by Bram Stoker, and I love it. I'm trying to get more into reading actual books just so I can develop my own writing skills, especially vampire or vampire-adjacent books. adjacent books. It feels sort of silly to review and recommend classic fiction, but I'm having a lot of fun learning classic vampire lore with this book. Next up is "Interview with a Vampire" by Anne Rice.

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just started reading "Avenger" (No, not the superheroes). I have to say that it's pretty grabbing. I read the first 90 or so pages in about a day. :P

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Currently reading a bit of "A History of Russia" by Mark Steinberg. I have a few other random books that were recommended by a few of my friends to read such as "Payback's a Witch" by Lana Harper, "A kind of Spark" by Elle McNicoll, "The Extraordinary Adventures of Alice Tonks" by Emily Kenny, "Can't Hurt me" by David Goggins, and much more! 

Edited by StarlightNyars
  • Brohoof 1

Finished up The Steel Kiss by Jeffery Deaver on audiobook.

It sucked. Don't read it.

Dude needs to hire a better editor. A third of that book could've been chopped and nothing of value would have been lost. An unrelated romantic side story with no tension. A second mystery unfolding with a weak payoff. Insights into the killers mind from the first person, which ruins the mystique. And case report style summaries at the end of every other chapter, which is essentially a filler recap. Maybe in the book it was done like a case file and that looked cool. But on audio book, it was a droning waste of time.  Not to mention that despite the murder/mystery premise, it's mostly a legal/procedural drama. You get more focus on personal injury claims and product liability than you do on investigating the killer. All wrapped up with a bitter sweet, anticlimactic ending.

Don't waste your time like I did with this one. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm most of the way through The Master and Margarita! I cannot recommend this book enough. As simply as I can explain it, it's about the devil coming to Moscow and causing all sorts of antics! Very funny book yet poignant at the perfect moments.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...