Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony@Home (TL;DR: Use your CPU cycles to cure cancer)

Sellyme

I just joined the team and would like to be added to the MLP forums subteam. The username is the same, Kamil.

I also wouldn't mind a chance at free stuff just for leaving my computer on, if that's alright. No big deal if not, curing cancer is fun!

EDIT: I'm currently runningat an estimated 20k PPD, while doing a full system virus scan and backup (Though I really should have started the backup after the scan, it was on an automated timer so I didn't think about it )

Edited by Kamil

Just a heads up that the sub team stats will be updated very infrequently for most of January, as the script is run out of my home computer, which I'm currently 330km away from.

After I got it set up, I got 3 out of 6*(10^7) jobs carried out, before it reached system shutdown temperature. Can't be the drivers though, if you're also running it with the 3870K.

Try running it only on CPU, or dropping the clock speed. I go a bit over "max temperatures" while folding, with stock cooling. I just disabled thermal throttling 'cos you can safely go a few degrees above 72.7 (the point where it throttles).

Note that the 3 out of 6,000,000 is normal, it only shows every 1% in the log, and 3/6000000 is 0% (not sure why 3, but yeah).

Actually, it turns out I can't do this. I have the options set as much as I can figure out, but my computer refuses to not go to sleep. I could only contribute a little by running it while I'm actually on the computer, but It's just not going to be worthwhile for me to keep trying.

Sorry, it's just not for me.

Actually, it turns out I can't do this. I have the options set as much as I can figure out, but my computer refuses to not go to sleep. I could only contribute a little by running it while I'm actually on the computer, but It's just not going to be worthwhile for me to keep trying.

Sorry, it's just not for me.

Ah, I know your problem, I had the same one. APUs are set up to act like laptops, and turn off to save battery power. To change this you need to go into your computer's power saving options and change the settings "Put the computer to sleep" to "Never". I also recommend changing the default plan to "High Performance".

You should be able to access the power saving options here:

Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsPower OptionsEdit Plan Settings

XfMEi.png

Well it is a laptop, and I did change that setting. I actually think it's hibernating instead of just sleeping based on how long it takes to start up again afterwards, so it might be something other than just the standard time-based sleep.

It seems i can run this while i'm sleeping (even if the CPU noise is kinda annoying, but i'll get used to it) or away from home. Same username there as here, so feel free to add me in the team.

If you think CPU noise is annoying, try living in a house with a baby.

Will add you into the team when I get back home, my server appears to be down and I can't reboot it from here.

• 3 months later...
Signed up for this. I remember finding Folding at Home from here back then too, I think actually. But I got rid of it because I wasn't sure what it was doing and didn't care enough to look it up but I saw Brony@Home mentioned in a Derpibooru ad, decided to check it out again, and now I'm helping the cause! biggrin.png

So, I know next-to-nothing about this program but I want to help as much as I can so I'd like to ask you all if the attached picture is a good level, and if not, ask how I can improve it.

post-2458-0-69827100-1366077850_thumb.png

Edited by ZomBrony

So, I know next-to-nothing about this program but I want to help as much as I can so I'd like to ask you all if the attached picture is a good level, and if not, ask how I can improve it.

attachicon.gifFolding at Home.png

I can't tell. The CPU project takes a while to initialise, and the GPU project is idling, so I don't know what that's showing either. I'd recommend chucking it up to Full so the GPU will run 24/7, and just chuck it down to medium when you want to game.

I also can't tell whether or not they're good numbers for your hardware without knowing what your hardware is. I can tell your GPU is from the GT220 series from the image, but not CPU.

Also, it's good to hear that people have actually seen that Derpibooru and followed it! I was worried that it'd be a waste of money.

• Brohoof 1

I can't tell. The CPU project takes a while to initialise, and the GPU project is idling, so I don't know what that's showing either. I'd recommend chucking it up to Full so the GPU will run 24/7, and just chuck it down to medium when you want to game.

I also can't tell whether or not they're good numbers for your hardware without knowing what your hardware is. I can tell your GPU is from the GT220 series from the image, but not CPU.

Also, it's good to hear that people have actually seen that Derpibooru and followed it! I was worried that it'd be a waste of money.

Well it hasn't been with me. x3

I don't think my computer is good enough to run it on full normally. I tried doing that last night, wasn't even gaming and I was lagging a lot. I maxed it up to full while I was at school though and I can definitely see the results.

GPU is up to 9% and CPU is up to 5.83%

(edited)

I don't think my computer is good enough to run it on full normally.

If you don't run Aero, enabling that might allow you to run F@H on full without lagging, and vice versa. Aero runs on the GPU, non-Aero runs on the CPU, so depending on which one is faster, changing it over could reduce lag.

EDIT: Alternatively, boot up FAHControl, go to Configure > Expert, add an extra client option (Name: client-type Value: beta), and save that. That'll put you on the beta GPU core which is much more efficient. It may be slightly buggy, though. Up to you.

Edited by Sellyme

If you don't run Aero, enabling that might allow you to run F@H on full without lagging, and vice versa. Aero runs on the GPU, non-Aero runs on the CPU, so depending on which one is faster, changing it over could reduce lag.

EDIT: Alternatively, boot up FAHControl, go to Configure > Expert, add an extra client option (Name: client-type Value: beta), and save that. That'll put you on the beta GPU core which is much more efficient. It may be slightly buggy, though. Up to you.

I'm good with playing lesser games on Full and lowering the power to Medium when I'm playing games that take more power.

It seems all I have to do is lower the settings depending on what I'm playing.

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you guys know that Brony@Home are having another Folding Competition, with over $1000 dollars in prizes! In addition to that we have an incredibly cheesy video to go with it:

Have some copy-paste from the description:

Okay, so basically, you install a program by the name of Folding@Home, tell us your username, and in two months we give you free stuff? Sound good? Of course it sounds good!

All info, including signups, download links, score sheets (when the competition is in progress), and a full prize list are available on our forums, here:

http://www.bronyathome.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=151

Thanks, and I hope to see you folding soon!

(Feel free to sign up in this thread, I'll be checking it regularly, although we would prefer that you signed up on our forums, as that makes our workload significantly easier. To sign up all you need to do is tell us your Folding@Home username, and give us a method of contacting you)

Edited by Sellyme

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I stuck with my old-ish screen-name for Folding @ Home which just so happens to be the same one I'm using here; ZomBrony. And I would like to join the MLP Forums subteam please. ^^

*Sees above post*
Well then...
*Clicky the link*

Edited by ZomBrony