Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Spyro the Dragon

Captain Marvelous

Wow a Spyro thread :D! Why didn't I know about it?

The series of my childhood. I loved the original trilogy and all the games before the 6th game I believe  It became too much of a fighter game with little to no platformer elements and terrible voice acting. Not saying I hate the newer games, I mean I am a hardcore fan of Spyro.

Thank God for emulators. :D

^^ Yup 3 times hooray to emulators! HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY!

I love playing the classic games on emulator. Which emulator do you use? I use ePSXe. Luckily it works on linux with wine perfectly ^^

And yeah The Legend of Spyro is not that good as the classic, but I like it too.

Edited by Gekoncze
  • Brohoof 1

Haha, I was halfway through crating a new thread but decided to give all little search first.

And I can see that you're the big spyro fan of these forms.

I use ePSXe as well. Just finished the Skelos Badlands level earlier, I was actually crying with nostalgia from how much I remembered and loved that one.

Edited by Vengeance

ePSXe is good emu. I thought they stoped working on it (there was a long gap with no updates), but recently I found out there is (relatively) new version -> 1.8

At the moment I am playing Spyro 2 in german language so I can improve it. I'm finishing the Autumn plains home now. I like the primeval (or prehistoric idk how is it spelled in english) people from Skelos Badlands and Crystal Glacier - they are funny :D

Edited by Gekoncze

ePSXe is good emu. I thought they stoped working on it (there was a long gap with no updates), but recently I found out there is (relatively) new version -> 1.8

At the moment I am playing Spyro 2 in german language so I can improve it. I'm finishing the Autumn plains home now. I like the primeval (or prehistoric idk how is it spelled in english) people from Skelos Badlands and Crystal Glacier - they are funny :D

Prehistoric. :P

And I think I'll try finishing Autumn Plains tonight, but being a completionist it will take some time. And those speedways....  <_<

The first three games define Spyro so well, that's why a lot of the fans call them the "true" games, nostalgic or not. When you stray too much from an established formula (like The Legend of Spyro series), then obviously you are going to have complaints about the direction the franchise is taking.

I think my favorite out of the three is Ripto's Rage. The best addition, the hover technique, saved you from any annoying edge deaths which is a major plus. I liked all the quirky side missions like riding the manta ray or installing power plugs. It truly took a long time for me to complete the damn thing, but I like games that are jam packed with a lot of STUFF.

However, I will still say that the best villain so far is Gnasty Gnorc. Surprised they don't bring him back in his original form yet, because he had a badass looking design.

Legend of Spyro is amazing. They have the make a sequel.

Of the first three, Ripto's Rage was my favorite though...not too challenging levels, though a couple I had to ragequit, but neverless amazing.

LOS COMPLAINS: Malefours design sorta disappointed me, I was expecting a bad*** looking dragon, And the Cynder x Spyro scene at the last cutscene of Dotd could of been worked on more, but still made me cry :'(

Dawn of the Dragon is my favorite game of all time though. Amazing graphics, challenging, and free flying. Get it if you don't have it now >.<

Edited by DJ Shift
  • Brohoof 1

Oh man, the franchise that made up my childhood! The first game i played was Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage and it's still my favourite one, the music, the graphics, EVERYTHING!

Spyro 1 wasn't bad but it was quite long and the levels were somewhat hard, nonetheless i really enjoyed it and it was the second one i played.

Spyro 3 Year of the Dragon was DAH game, i remember taking me over a year to fully complete this game, but it is indeed a jewel

After YotD, the series went -

-

-

-

Falling and falling, however i cannot say they weren't good games, they WERE GOOD GAMES, they weren't just good spyro games. They lacked the touch of quality Insomniac gave to the franchise.

• Brohoof 1

The first three were amazing. All three are must-play titles, no questions asked. You can get them all on the Playstation Network now for about $20 all together, and they're well worth it. Was never really of fan of everything after Year of the Dragon, the Legends series was just lacking that special something that made the first three so great. :/

I'm a fan of the original three games. They where fun and simple. Highly enjoyable and storytelling that didn't take itself so seriously, but didn't belittle itself either. The first three had a colorful and fun cast of characters and they all added something to the story, however miniscule.

Spyro himself was actually fairly characterized. He was just a kid who wanted to have fun. He had no real interest in saving the world because it was the right thing to do. He just wanted to kick butt because he enjoyed it.

Which brings me to my main gripe with the Legends series. Spyro himself. I tried playing Legend, but I just couldn't stand the story nor Spyro's characterization. The colorful fun loving atmostphere from the original three was replaced with something that was trying to hard to be serioues. Spyro's story itself was pretty cliched, chosen goody goody hero raised by a forster family that one days stumbles across this destiny he is meant to fulfuill or some junk. I prefer the kid who does things because he wants to have fun and not because it's the right thing to do over this anyday.

As to Skylanders. I freaking love it. Gameplay-wise, it's closer to the original Spyro games than Legend will ever be. The cast of characters is a colorful and fun as the original Spyro game characters. Yes, the Spyro in this continuity is more of a mix of the Legend and Original incarnations, but the facts that make the Legend version so dull to me are more toned down in this version. The only thing stopping Skylanders from being the perfect game for me is the fact that other Original Spyro characters haven't been considered as characters. Seriously, Agent 9, St. Brd, Hunter ect. would make for some awesome Skylanders.

All this Spyro love.<3

So it seems like everyone prefers the original trilogy better than the new ones, yay I'm not the only one. :)

Of course ^.^ It's because you can chase glitches there. I though I couldn't find any new, but yesterday I played Scorch (in Autumn plains) and found some new - it was fun. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I used to have the first 3 on the PS2. Now I only have 2 of them. Sometimes I play them just for good old times, but it just isn't as appealing now. Still pretty fun though. 

Most of my PS1 discs are scatched... :C Oh well... (atleast I has emulators and its morally right considering I owned the games anyway)

Anyhow, I mostly played YotD and found it pretty amazing. I had a feeling Ripto's Rage felt better, even if I had played a very little amount of it because of the damage to the disc. However, the first game I didn't really enjoy, considering I don't really like pure platforming (Spyro was also Spongebob). But whatever the case, I give all three games props for soundtrack.

I also have the Spyro...forgot the title... A Hero's Tale. I suppose people are going to disagree with me, but I thought the game was really good as well.

What else... I have the two GBA games Season of Fire and Season of Ice, which I find both to be lackluster. Attack of the Rhinos(?) (or as I know it: Spyro's Adventure) was pretty fun and did the original trilogy some justice.

By the way, I found skateboarding in YotD to be extremely fun. Am I the only one?

• Brohoof 1

By the way, I found skateboarding in YotD to be extremely fun. Am I the only one?

You're not the only one ^^ I like it very much. If you have some free time, you can try to do double gnasty gnorg trick ^^ It is really difficult, but I was able to do it one time.

My family got the first 3 Spyro games on Playstation, the first Spyro game on Playstation 2, and a couple of the games on Game Boy Advance. The first 3 were great games for methodical and organized kids like me and my family; I would never leave a level without 100% completion (or as close as I could get with the backtracking). Our family has played through them many times for nostalgia's sake and to introduce our younger siblings as they got old enough.

The first three games each have their own charm. I might like the first game the best because the music, appearance, and open-ended structure of the levels create a great atmosphere, and not having to do tasks for the various natives just allows you to explore the levels and admire the scenery more.

Some replay value was gained especially in the second and third games by discovery of glitches, particularly the charge-jump-glide-hover glitch and the various swim-in-the-air glitches. In Dino Mines in the third game, you can even swim-in-the-air to discover a portal to an empty boss arena behind a mountain! That was just the coolest thing, especially to my younger siblings. It is funny to think that the game developers scrapped that boss fight, but rather than remove the portal, they just put a mountain in front of it!

• Brohoof 2

Of course ^.^ It's because you can chase glitches there. I though I couldn't find any new, but yesterday I played Scorch (in Autumn plains) and found some new - it was fun. :lol:

I was actually playing Scorch last night. What was the glitch? :0

I love(d) skateboarding! It was so tricky when I was younger though...

Edited by Vengeance

I was actually playing Scorch last night. What was the glitch? :0

The 1st glitch was that when I hit the palms with the monkeys, it threw me to one direction far away (always the one direction, even if I hit the tree from other side). It was weird O _o but I enjoyed playing with it ^^

The 2nd one was just using double-jump glitch to get to places where you can hardly get - I always overtook the funny man on the flying carpet :P

I've always been a fan of Insomniac games. It's a shame the left after the third Spyro game to focus on Ratchet and Clank, which is also awesome .. well the PS2 versions were. I only had Spyro 3, but I played it soooo much. I got one of the newer PS2 Spyro games (New Beginning was it?) and I just didn't think it was very good to be honest. 

Edited by Sly Raritas

The 1st glitch was that when I hit the palms with the monkeys, it threw me to one direction far away (always the one direction, even if I hit the tree from other side). It was weird O _o but I enjoyed playing with it ^^

The 2nd one was just using double-jump glitch to get to places where you can hardly get - I always overtook the funny man on the flying carpet :P

Ohhhh, interesting. When I was younger and first playing Spyro I was way too young to even understand glitches, but I realize how many I actually found. XD

WHY DID I NOT NOTICE THIS BEFORE?!?!?!

*Cough Cough*

Spyro 1-3 on the Playstation were my childhood, they are the most nostalgic thing I know and any time I watch stuff on Spyro, especially the first, my heart overfills with nostalgia.

I own the "Enter the Dragonfly", of which I find *twitch*, crappy...

Other than that, I haven't followed other Spyro games much, but I know the plot of Legend of Spyro. And even though I prefer the originals, I don;t go out and hate on the newer LoS. I mean seriously? why do the fans of these two generations think they HAVE to hate each other? LOVE AND TOLERENCE!

PS: If I ever get my hands on the Spyro franchise, I will be happy.

• Brohoof 2

I own the "Enter the Dragonfly", of which I find *twitch*, crappy...

yeah, for me the spyro movement was quite slow (+ long annoying loading screens) and models too smoothed. And it seemed to me it is more focused on smaller kids.

why do the fans of these two generations think they HAVE to hate each other?

I don't hate any. I like both ^^

----------

btw Is anybody here good at 3D modeling? I need some models from the original games for my little project. Just a few low-poly models, nothing difficult, and I can offer images to make it easier (even wireframe images). If I had time I would learn modeling myself, but I'm going to have final exams at high school, so I have no time...

• Brohoof 1

So everyone... who still plays any of the Spyro games today, whether it's on an emulator or on a console?

I know I do! Just finished Spyro 2 a few days ago and I think I'll start Spyro 3 in another few days when I have time. :D