Who exactly are our peers?

Obsidian_Winter

So I was reading throught he forums as I do a lot now(yes this is another Obsidian Winter Post) and I kept hearing about peer pressure, people being made to give up the fandom because their peers harassed them to the point it was intolerable, etc etc etc. We all have faced it at one time or another and now as Bronies, this is yet another thing for people to tease us about. Obviously not everyone does this, but when it does happen, usually its by people whom are called our 'peers'

The dictionary describes a Peer as:

Peers: a person who is equal to another in abilities, qualifications, age, background, and social status.

Frankly, I would take a stab and say the people who hate on us, who attack out of no where, who make some of us cry, feel worthless, ashamed that we like something that only promotes the finest quilities in people and in ourself...are NOT our peers.

They are NOT our equals. They have sunk below that. I know it sounds elitist but is it not true? We call "sinking to someone's level" when we do bad things to people who do bad things to us. And their social status, obviously if they can;t Tolerate and love, we are not on the same social guidelines at all.

Yes, I am stating the obvious. THose of us that DO NOT sink to their level, thos eo fus that continue on proudly despite the haters...YES we are BETTER then they are. Not as life forms or by race, greed, orientation, religion, nonme of that. But by principal alone. Anytime we refuse to give in to Trolls, Haters, those that tell us we need to die or our child molesters or 'aren't real men' or 'need to grow up', we have risen above them.

To be a Brony to me is all about practicing what the show teaches, loving the community, contributing to the community and so on. WE are each others peers. In a way, its like how communities of old delt with theit own when they stepped out of line and didn't practice the guidelines of their community.

So the next time you do something and a troll or hater makes fun of you for it....the next time you are looking at your art on your ipad and some cruel person hurts your feelings so bad you just want to delete it all, leave the community, go home and cry, remember who exactly your peers are. What would your fellow Bronies think? WWBD wristbands! heh....j\k.....

No but seriously....when you stand up for a friend, when you do the right thing, when you respect the aspects of Honesty, Generosity, Loyalty, Kindness, Laughter and the Magic that holds it all together, ask yourself which peer group you should really be listening to. Food for thought.

Faithfully,

Obsidian Winter

• Brohoof 3

The dictionary describes a Peer as:

Peers: a person who is equal to another in abilities, qualifications, age, background, and social status.

Frankly, I would take a stab and say the people who hate on us, who attack out of no where, who make some of us cry, feel worthless, ashamed that we like something that only promotes the finest quilities in people and in ourself...are NOT our peers.

They are NOT our equals. They have sunk below that. I know it sounds elitist but is it not true? We call "sinking to someone's level" when we do bad things to people who do bad things to us. And their social status, obviously if they can;t Tolerate and love, we are not on the same social guidelines at all.

Yes, I am stating the obvious. THose of us that DO NOT sink to their level, thos eo fus that continue on proudly despite the haters...YES we are BETTER then they are. Not as life forms or by race, greed, orientation, religion, nonme of that. But by principal alone. Anytime we refuse to give in to Trolls, Haters, those that tell us we need to die or our child molesters or 'aren't real men' or 'need to grow up', we have risen above them.

To be a Brony to me is all about practicing what the show teaches, loving the community, contributing to the community and so on. WE are each others peers. In a way, its like how communities of old delt with theit own when they stepped out of line and didn't practice the guidelines of their community.

So the next time you do something and a troll or hater makes fun of you for it....the next time you are looking at your art on your ipad and some cruel person hurts your feelings so bad you just want to delete it all, leave the community, go home and cry, remember who exactly your peers are. What would your fellow Bronies think? WWBD wristbands! heh....j\k.....

No but seriously....when you stand up for a friend, when you do the right thing, when you respect the aspects of Honesty, Generosity, Loyalty, Kindness, Laughter and the Magic that holds it all together, ask yourself which peer group you should really be listening to. Food for thought.

Faithfully,

Obsidian Winter

We may not be exactly fully "better" as a whole, but as individuals, I feel most of us may be really good people... I know many good people here...

But this thread is about peers... which ones should we follow?

I would say, even though I don't watch the show anymore, I feel more comfortable around the brony peers. I would follow them.

Edited by Tom The Rock
Editing out quote of now-removed post

this is so very true. I have to say i am very lucky,   not only do i have peers to help me out in the Army (whom i rarely go to when i am in need) but now i have other bronies that i can come to if i need to be able to talk about things i cant talk to my other peers about. and both peer groups will help me see that i dont have to take what those trolls and haters say to heart. 

Edited by MLP Dazzleglow
  • Brohoof 3

this is so very true. I have to say i am very lucky,   not only do i have peers to help me out in the Army (whom i rarely go to when i am in need) but now i have other bronies that i can come to if i need to be able to talk about things i cant talk to my other peers about. and both peer groups will help me see that i dont have to take what those trolls and haters say to heart. 

This. Exactly.

As someone in the military he has peers that work with him and have a lot of the same background. When Westboro Baptist Church protests and disgraces and fallen Soldiers funeral and it pisses im off, yeah other people may be pissed too but he can go to his military peers and seek support because chances are they will understand exactly what he's feeling.

Same goes for Bronies. If someone is giving you hell at school or at work or you get outed and get teased, you can come here to your brony peers and seek advice, bitch, moan, vent whatever because usually most of us would undersand. The whole point of this is to get those bronie out there who are bullied and those who are trolled and hated on to realize they shouldn't listen to them. They should listen to those who understand them, support them and are like them.

Sorry for any grammer issues. Doing this on my phone is a Bitch. Swype isn't being kind.....

• Brohoof 2

is it not a bit hypocritical to say you're superior because you love and tolerate? if you really loved your brothers and sisters than i do not think you'd put yourself on a pedestal above them

the people around us who might make fun of us for whatever reason might be wrong for doing so, but i would still call them our peers and equals as human beings. if we assume the moral high ground on the belief that love is righteous, then i think it is up to us to influence and try to change our peers for the better; simply ignoring them and basically calling them subhuman accomplishes nothing, changes no one, and goes against the very righteous belief you seem to advocate

this puts the responsibility on us to have the courage to take the insults and pressure. any success a bully might have in turning someone against themselves, i think, can not totally be blamed on the bully

Edited by Hollowshield

is it not a bit hypocritical to say you're superior because you love and tolerate? if you really loved your brothers and sisters than i do not think you'd put yourself on a pedestal above them

the people around us who might make fun of us for whatever reason might be wrong for doing so, but i would still call them our peers and equals as human beings. if we assume the moral high ground on the belief that love is righteous, then i think it is up to us to influence and try to change our peers for the better; simply ignoring them and basically calling them subhuman accomplishes nothing, changes no one, and goes against the very righteous belief you seem to advocate

Sigh....i said right in my post we were all equal as human beings..... Scroll up. But yes i respect and hold higher some who takes the high ground of tolerance then the low ground of hate. This is why its called high ground and low ground. Also i never said to hate the haters, just don't stop to their level. Be above that.
  • Brohoof 2

My roommate who is in early 30s watches Simpsons, I don't see MLP being anything lesser as an age limit. So I feel good. But I am a shy guy, afraid of ridicule, so I naturally don't share it. At least it's safer that way blush.png

For now I do not deal with other forms of no-tolerance other than watching mlp and a few other cartoons. I know the thread speaks of any kind of relationships, interests with peers and such.

Edited by ImtR

Rule 1: Don't feed the trolls, plain and simple. That's what I learned Day One on the internet. A troll, just like any real life bully, is motivated by the rustling of jimmies. If you ignore them, if you keep your jimmies unrustled, they'll lose interest.

As for real life. Simply put, if people around you are giving you hate for liking MLP:FiM, it might be time to reconsider who you're hanging around. If their image of you changes so drastically for the negative because you like something that makes you happy (if your peers really cared about you, they'd be happy you were happy, regardless of what makes you happy), it says a lot about their character, and it might be time to move on. Don't hate back, just move on...

Remember, haters gonna hate, but lovers gonna love.

Edited by Sky Nomad
  • Brohoof 2

I wouldn't say that bronies are necessarily "superior" to the haters, but haters a lot of the time seem to be very ignorant, close-minded people who judge others just for liking MLP:FIM. Most haters don't even give the show a chance, which is too bad.

• Brohoof 1

this puts the responsibility on us to have the courage to take the insults and pressure. any success a bully might have in turning someone against themselves, i think, can not totally be blamed on the bully

your absolutely, right. it dose not mean that we are better than those haters, but if we stand up together with our peers, then in some  way we have what they dont. Friends 

I love making posts like these that get people Telly thinking about things perhaps they otherwise would not. I love seeing the community coming together. Its important we maker sure at the end of the day were there for each other.

• Brohoof 2

I too have noticed the amount of people mentioning being singled out etc because of being a brony, a lot of it is to do with age and in the case of the person doing the bullying ignorance and possibly a little jealousy.

I wouldn't class myself as superior that opens up a whole heap of trouble. But I would say that I think we're a breed apart, not better just different.

You do raise a good point, perhaps the better way to refer to it is that we are a different breed.

Edited by Fridge