Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[spoilers] To Those Who Say Spike Is Unappreciated...

Bright Honor

Note: This is not an attack on those who felt/feel that Spike is unappreciated.

Months ago, there were threads that said that Spike is taken for granted or that Spike is treated like crap.

However, I think that the Season 3 premiere disproves that. Not only did he become the hero in the end, but when Spike was crying from the visions from dark magic, he feared that Twilight was gonna send him away. Twilight comforts him and says that she will never send him away. That is an indication that she clearly appreciates and loves him. When he dives for the Crystal Heart, Rarity yells "Spikey-Wikey!". Therefore, she also appreciates him.

So I ask those who complain about Spike's treatment on the show: Do you feel that he has been given his due? Do you feel that the Mane Six appreciate him? Remember this is not an attack, I am just stating some observations is all.

• Brohoof 14

I think he's only starting to truly prove his worth. He's a loyal boy. He's still going to be treated like a kid because he is one apparently, but he's appreciated, no doubt.

• Brohoof 2

I hope for there to be another Spike episode in Season 3. I don't think he is under-appreciated, and I also think that he isn't appreciated enough, too. When Spike saved the Crystal Empire, I felt like that was his best episode. He needs more attention!

Hey, Spike did get to save the empire! I didn't even think about that! Granted, Sombra would have gotten him if not for the Cadence missile, but that's still pretty cool!

130386201605-130160122642-MLP-FIM.gif?13

Favorite Spike moment and he isn't even on screen.

• Brohoof 1

Spike is always by Twilight's side, he's very loyal to her. For me it's hard to think of Twilight without thinking of Spike as well, as it should be since they're practically family. He's very funny though, and I find his episodes to be some of the best in the series, with Dragon Quest being my favorite of his. His VA, Cathy Weseluck, is also a very wonderful woman, I always enjoy listening to interviews with her. So yeah, I appreciate Spike and his VA very much, and think he gets enough appreciation from the mane 6, I mean they went and followed him into dragon territory for cripe's sake! :o

• Brohoof 1

I think Spike got his due in the season opener, heck he even got his own stained glass window. The Mane 6 have to share thiers. And we have what definitely sounds like a Spike-centered episode (Spike At Your Service) coming up. I think the other ponies appreciate him.

Remember when Tyrant Celestia used to be a legitimate mindset among bronies? These ideas crop up and eventually fade. Now with the Crystal Empire, this mindset should fade quickly.

• Brohoof 1

I think Spike got his due in the season opener, heck he even got his own stained glass window. The Mane 6 have to share thiers. And we have what definitely sounds like a Spike-centered episode (Spike At Your Service) coming up. I think the other ponies appreciate him.

I totally agree! I mean, if I got my own stained glass window, I sure would feel appreciated! Twilight appreciates him all right. A LOT. She just forgets to show it at times. But she always comes through and makes him feel better. I would say that's being appreciated.

I made this thread because months ago, I saw threads taking about the Mane 6 treating Spike like crap and such. I say the Crystal Empire premiere disproves those.

Yes, and months ago, they actually had a point. Spike had been consistently marginalized in the first and second seasons. Whenever the characters needed to foray into danger--with one lone exception, where he wasn't even useful anyway--he was left behind. When he could have been turned into an important character, he was usually left behind. Even in his own episodes he was usually an antagonist or otherwise acted like a jerk to the others himself.

Season Three has been turning that around because, unlike previous seasons, Spike is more present. He's more helpful. He's more used. He's there, unlike before.

He's not the only one either. This has also been the season where "We didn't forget Applejack."

Additionally, though, I must say that, in my opinion, some people think Spike is underappreciated because they tend to think Rarity somehow "owes" Spike affection because he's been crushing on her for so long, and thus they then say that Spike is treated like crap as a result, or used by Rarity. That is an attitude I find appaling, because it suggests that Spike's desires are somehow more important than Rarity's, that just because he's a male character that likes a female character, he deserves to have that female character. I guarantee you that if it had been a female character crushing on a male character this whole time, most people would be saying she was an annoying little twerp who ought to be hated.

Overall, Spike was treated as a minor character at best in the past, but that is changing this season. Time will tell if it continues to change in the fourth season.

• Brohoof 5

Yes, and months ago, they actually had a point. Spike had been consistently marginalized in the first and second seasons. Whenever the characters needed to foray into danger--with one lone exception, where he wasn't even useful anyway--he was left behind. When he could have been turned into an important character, he was usually left behind. Even in his own episodes he was usually an antagonist or otherwise acted like a jerk to the others himself.

Season Three has been turning that around because, unlike previous seasons, Spike is more present. He's more helpful. He's more used. He's there, unlike before.

He's not the only one either. This has also been the season where "We didn't forget Applejack."

Additionally, though, I must say that, in my opinion, some people think Spike is underappreciated because they tend to think Rarity somehow "owes" Spike affection because he's been crushing on her for so long, and thus they then say that Spike is treated like crap as a result, or used by Rarity. That is an attitude I find appaling, because it suggests that Spike's desires are somehow more important than Rarity's, that just because he's a male character that likes a female character, he deserves to have that female character. I guarantee you that if it had been a female character crushing on a male character this whole time, most people would be saying she was an annoying little twerp who ought to be hated.

Overall, Spike was treated as a minor character at best in the past, but that is changing this season. Time will tell if it continues to change in the fourth season.

Basically this is what I have been saying, except for having a point.

Anyway, All I am trying to see is that if for those who thought/think Spike underappreciated, I wonder if the premiere satisfied them. Again this isn't meant to attack anyone.

I think they did mistreat him in a way, in the first and second season that is, though the new episodes in season 3 make it so that he actually played the hero in the first episode.

There's going to be an Season 3 episode starring Spike and Applejack:

Season 3 Episode 10

Title: Spike at Your Service

Air Date: December 29, 2012

Synopsis: After Applejack saved Spike, he insists on fulfilling the Nobel Dragon Code by repaying him with excessive help around the farm.

Spike has always been appreciated for what he does, and they've made it obvious they care about his well-being, but I sometimes wonder how much they care about his feelings. Yes, the premier did help with that. So did throwing him a birthday party in Secret of my Excess.

What's bugged me the most is that picture he was looking at near the end of Dragon Quest. It had the mane 6 lined up with a separate photo of him taped to the side. I like to think this is because he's the one who originally took their picture and therefore couldn't stand with them. I just hope we don't have any more moments as callous as the incident at the Gala.

Additionally, though, I must say that, in my opinion, some people think Spike is underappreciated because they tend to think Rarity somehow "owes" Spike affection because he's been crushing on her for so long, and thus they then say that Spike is treated like crap as a result, or used by Rarity.

Well, I don't think she's obligated to return his affections but she does use him, though I think she's made it obvious that she legitimately cares for him as a friend.

Season 3 Episode 10

Synopsis: After Applejack saved Spike, he insists on fulfilling the Nobel Dragon Code by repaying him with excessive help around the farm.

Applejack got a sex change?

Edited by Artemis

Applejack got a sex change?

Yea, I acutally noticed this when I went through this, I decided to let people find out to those who dare go into the spoiler bar...

Edited by Danger Dashie

Season 3 Episode 10

Yes, I'm aware of this. I was actually quite baffled by it--I was honestly expecting, from the title, for the episode to be about Spike serving Rarity in some fashion, and then it could finally sink Sparity as a ship forever. (Because I want that ship to suffer the crush of canon. I wish for it to be stomped out of existence.)

Well, I don't think she's obligated to return his affections but she does use him, though I think she's made it obvious that she legitimately cares for him as a friend.

Using him implies there is malicious action in her behavior, when in fact she's simply letting him help her as he wants to, as a friend. She does care for him...as a friend. That's it.

Yes, I'm aware of this. I was actually quite baffled by it--I was honestly expecting, from the title, for the episode to be about Spike serving Rarity in some fashion, and then it could finally sink Sparity as a ship forever. (Because I want that ship to suffer the crush of canon. I wish for it to be stomped out of existence.)

OY! Don't be so cruel! :P But seriously though, as much as I like Rarity and Spike to be together (or Fancypants with Rarity), I thought it more as another episode with not only Rarity, but also Twilight. But lo and behold, that synopsis threw me off. But I'm not complaining in the slightest. Personality wise, there are a couple of things both Spike and AJ can relate after all.

As for the thread, pretty much what Kyronea said. The fact I love SPike a lot aside, I never thought he was being used. The problem with having that assistant capacity is that it MAKES him look like he's being used. But for one, Twilight, Rarity and Rainbow Dash didn't go all the way to dragon territory for nothing. And two, these recent episodes have given Spike quite the spotlight ( this also probably made Spike's VA, Cathy Weseluck, very happy. ^_^ )

• Brohoof 1

Given how much the mane six fawned over him at the beginning of Owls Well That Ends Well, I find it hard to see how Spike is unappreciated.

And the next day they where fawning over an owl that Twilight just found the last night and that barely did shit. :huh:

I am one of the Spike fans who thinks he is underappreciated by the characters of the show and by the bronies (specially the bronies). And after getting pleasantly surprised that Spike got a major role in the season 3 premiere, I have to say that I still think that Spike is underappreciated (but now to a lesser degree)

After watching the premiere I read some comments about the episode in this forums, and I was surprised that only few people talked about Spike big moments. Hell, there were some people that posted lengthy character reviews and for some reason they left out Spike... oh dear...  :mellow:

What's bugged me the most is that picture he was looking at near the end of Dragon Quest. It had the mane 6 lined up with a separate photo of him taped to the side. I like to think this is because he's the one who originally took their picture and therefore couldn't stand with them. I just hope we don't have any more moments as callous as the incident at the Gala.

You know, I remember taking pictures of all my sister's friends sometimes when I was a kid, and I don't remember pasting myself in their group picture. I have my own friends and my own stuff to worry about, so there wasn't any need for me to do that. On the other hand, Spike tapes himself in a picture of the mane 6, if he is desperate enough to do this that tells me that he doesn't have friends of his own, he is lonely and he is desperate for attention so he resorts to the mane 6, he considers them as his closest friends but probably the mane 6 may just think of him as just Twilight's cute little brother. 

The Gala was another awful moment for Spike. Yeah, the girls had an awful night as well, but the thing is that their night started out great and gradually went downhill until it was horrible. But Spike's night? Right from the start: Awful. Yeah, Spike night was the worst.

Honestly, that's the first time I heard someone saying that Spike is underappreciated just because of that. I say the only thing Rarity owes him is the truth, she knows about his crush on her, if she only likes him as a friend the least she can do is being honest and tell him she doesn't like him the way he does, and sort everything out from there. 

I will let myself clear here: I don't think that Twilight and her friends are heartless assholes towards Spike, they care about him thats for sure, but they DO take him granted A LOT.  Bottom line is that Spike character has been shoved into to the background virtually for two seasons, even the episodes about him didn't do him justice, you can't possibly fix this issue with one moment in a single episode alone. That requires more effort... and I think season 3 is heading the right way. I hope.

Well I'm tired right now so I will stop the rant here.  :lol:

And by the way, In my short time in these forums I found more "Why Applejack is not loved?" threads than the ones about Spike.

Edited by dreaper
  • Brohoof 1

While I would never think that Rarity is obligated to return Spike's affections, I do think she sometimes takes advantage of his love for her--getting him to take out her garbage if I recall, or guilting him into giving her a gem she really liked, I know she cares about him a lot as a friend, but I'm uncomfortable with her getting stuff out of him because of his feelings for her. If someone has a crush on me and I don't return the feelings, I tend to avoid the person just because I hate having so much power over someone else's feelings.

I'm glad Spike is getting some chances to shine besides in Dragonquest or whatever it was called--I couldn't stand that episode! 

• Brohoof 1

Until recently did i change my opinion that nobody cared for Spike except for Twilight. Since seeing Seceret of My Excess and Pary of One i start noticing that Rarity was usually uses his love to get him to do things for her which kinda pissed me off a little bit D:<. After seeing the premiere though i felt that everyone did appreciate him because of his help at the Crystal Empire getting his own stained window sealed the deal for me ^_^ .

Spike's extremely loyal  to his friends.  And  they are loyal to him, even if  they sometimes work him hard. In the end he will do what they ask because he cares for all of them.  If they didn't appreciate him they wouldn't have rescued him  he went off  with the other dragons.  He has been shoved in to the background a little bit.  don't get me wrong here, I love Spike. but hopefully they'll give him more face time. in future episodes. 

I don't think Rarity owes Spike anything, nor does he owe her. As far as the whole shipping thing goes shooting it down doesn't seem to be a priority among the writers (they've had two and a half seasons to do that and it hasn't happened) and for all the evidence we have it has just as much chance of being canonized, basically this is probably gonna end up their go to pairing for mindscrewage. I bet they sit back and say, let them figure that one out.