Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic wins TV Guide's best fans contest

Radiance64

Thought this was thread worthy, I also voted in it. ;)

Article here:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/TVs-Best-Fans-Conest-Winner-1057708.aspx

From the article:

"TVGuide.com users are a passionate bunch, so it came as no surprise that the race for TV's best fans was tight. But after several weeks and more than 115,000 votes in our Best TV Fans contest, the results are in and the winner might surprise you.

Coming out on top, with more than 9% percent of the vote, was My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Yes, the revamped kids show dominated the competition, thanks to its loyal fan base known as "bronies."

For those unfamiliar with the term, a brony (portmanteau of the words "bro" and "pony") is an older male fan of My Little Pony, typically between the ages of 13 and 35, who enjoy the animated series unironically. The term "pegasister" is also used to refer to bronies' female counterparts.

These fans' ages range far outside My Little Pony's intended demographic, but bronies and pegasisters appreciate the series' characters, feel-good story lines and Flash animation style, all the while challenging gender norms and escaping the cynicism that dominates much of modern media.

Since the fandom's origin in 2010, brony culture has grown

from simple memes into a complex online community which features original artwork, stories, and music. Bronies often organize local meet-ups and conventions to share their love of Friendship Is Magic, with the most recent BroNYCon attracting more than 4,000 attendees. Nipping at the bronies' heels in our best fans competition

was another revamped series with a cross-generational

fandom: Doctor Who. Though they came in second, Whovians have nothing to cry about. Only earlier this month, the British series won TV Guide Magazine's fan favorites cover contest.

Coming in third place is AMC's zombie hit The Walking Dead, which barely beat out cult favorite Firefly.

Check out the full rankings of TV's best fans below:

1. My Little Pony

2. Doctor Who

3. The Walking Dead

4. Firefly

5. Star Trek

6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

7. Family Guy

8. Game of Thrones

9. Supernatural

10. Breaking Bad

11. Bones

12. Community

13. NCIS

14. Lost

15. Once Upon a Time

16. Arrested Development

17. Castle

18. Chuck

19. Smallville

20. Battlestar Galactica

21. The Vampire Diaries

22. Glee

23. True Blood

24. Veronica Mars

25. Twin Peaks

26. Roswell

27. Jericho

28. Dallas"

This is just an awesome victory for the fandom I think, it just goes to show how dominant we really are. :D

• Brohoof 8

I kind of thought we'd lose to Doctor Who, since there are probably more Brony fans of Doctor Who than Whovian fans of MLP. I'm glad to be disproven though, and I'm happy for the fandom. Wonder how fans of other shows in the contest will react to this?

• Brohoof 1

My vote contributed to this victory. Feels good. TV Guide also gave a very good synopsis of what bronies are without slanting one way or the other. You have my undying love, TV Guide.

Here's the best comment I've seen there, and a good testimony of what we and the show truly are:

Most fans don't even like the previous incarnations.  It should be emphasized that 99% of Bronies are just fans of the latest incarnation from 2010, because it's actually NOT mind-numbingly dull like its predecessors.  Bronies are fans of "Friendship is Magic." It's apparent that a lot of effort and credence went into the writing, the music, the acting, and the animation.

Once you get over the fact that it's called "My Little Pony," and the fact it's based on the long-standing toy franchise for little girls, you start to see something else.  You see scripts written by veterans of Ben 10, Dexters Lab, and South Park.  You hear music written by composers who have worked for Disney and Warner Bros.  You experience scenes that were storyboarded by descendants of Ed, Edd, and Eddy. You get hit with a show directed by people who are as into geek culture as the rest of us.

And when it all comes together, you find yourself immersed in the mind of a young Lauren Faust, who was perpetually frustrated growing up seeing her favorite toys being constantly depicted as having tea parties and defeating inconsequential "villains" by sharing, singing, or crying...when her own mind would take those toys on epic adventures and save the world from cataclysmic danger.

Bronies don't like "Friendship is Magic" because it's mind-numbingly dull. They champion it for having the guts to turn on its predecessors, go against the grain, and actually TRY.

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 10

I guess the date 12-12-12 will forever be the date that Bronies prevailed, even though Doctor Who has been on for years, MLP beat it....  I never actually realized how big this fandom actually is.

Edited by Alberto Campos
  • Brohoof 4

Thats actually a pretty sweet victory!, theres some pretty loyal fandoms in there to! And we beat them all? Thats a pretty nice victory, I wish i was involved in the voting, but I didn't know this existed to be honest..

Regardless its an amazing victory! Maybe it will gain us some respect, and maybe grow the show in popularity aswell.

The fandom is pretty fregin loyal, so in one way I'm not even surprised :D

• Brohoof 1

EQD: "Bronies, mobilize!  A challenger approaches!  Reveal to these peons the Magic of Friendship."

Bronies: "WE SHALL SMITE THEIR RUIN UPON THE MOUNTAINTOP!"

I find it absolutely hilarious how we swarm every single notable poll that has MLP in it (or at least the ones put on EQD).  I guess I fall under the category of mindless brony slave of EQD, because I admit that I didn't even realize that this poll was for the best fans until several days later...  I just voted for what I liked.

I thought that we had lost after they showed that picture of Dr.Who on the cover, but it feels good knowing that we won and that I contributed! I think this calls for some Joe Esposito

• Brohoof 1

I guess the date 12-12-12 will forever be the date that Bronies prevailed, even though Doctor Who has been on for years, MLP beat it....  I never actually realized how big this fandom actually is.

Whats also amazing is that it beat out Firefly AND Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Both of those have HUGE followings. The fans of Firefly resurrected the franchise for a movie with a 2nd one rumored to eventually make its way down. I never would have guessed the Bronies and Pegasisters would have beat the Browncoats and Buffyverse. Good job!

Excellent bit of news!  The more recognition we bring for the fandom, the more people realize that our passion and love for the show is legitimate, noteworthy, and even admirable!  Heck, some people might even stop scratching their heads over just why we love the show and decide to check it out themselves, and we all know what that usually leads to... CONVERTS, YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!  B)

• Brohoof 1