NavelColt

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Well, this episode started off bad and got worse. All that boot camp crap is just evil, and the whole philosophy behind  it is one of the most negative aspects of American culture. The disgusting bullying culture is counter to all lessons the ponies are supposed to teach us. All this "Yes Ma'am!" shit is so militaristic, and authoritarian. It is the opposite of everything I watch MLP for.

I actually get the whole "Militaristic" attitude that was thrown in there; if you think about it, there are the guards of Canterlot (I guess that could count as the Army?) and Spitfire was in a military uniform, so perhaps there's an Air Force version of ponies. She also was the only Wonderbolt we saw there

Well, this episode started off bad and got worse. All that boot camp crap is just evil, and the whole philosophy behind  it is one of the most negative aspects of American culture. The disgusting bullying culture is counter to all lessons the ponies are supposed to teach us. All this "Yes Ma'am!" shit is so militaristic, and authoritarian. It is the opposite of everything I watch MLP for.

Pinkie Pie is a pain in the arse in this episode, with her hyper moronic aspect in full flow.

Rainbow at least shows some redeeming features, in not liking to beat up on the other ponies to get ahead.

Spitfire's response to her walking out is the moralistic bollocks, but the end where Rainbow gets the other ponies to salute her, it all just feels so wrong for a pony episode.

I won't be watching this one again.

Wait... American culture...?

Also it's a boot camp, there isn't really a "bullying culture" and the "militaristic and authoritarian" responses are just the formal and proper way to address a military personal. Sure it doesn't seem much like the show to have such a place, but what is done is done.

• Brohoof 2

This episode was absolutely brilliant.

I don't understand why so many different issues are spouting everywhere because of it. Spitfire was portrayed perfectly - it's already been said that she needed to treat Rainbow Dash exactly the same as everypony else, lest she think that training required no effort whatsoever. And as captain, Spitfire made the right decisions at the right times.

Rainbow Dash herself was equally great in her behavior, and it was nice to see some of that loyalty shining through as well. The other Mane ponies added an extra kick in flavour (I couldn't stop laughing at Pinkie Pie's antics), and I might add that the animation throughout is the best I've ever seen the team produce. Not to mention the gorgeously bright colours that kept me smiling like a hugely entertained child.  :lol:

As for how open-ended the ending was, remember that different writers write different episodes; Merriwether (this episode's writer) may well have deliberately left it that way so any other writer could pick up on or at least reference Rainbow Dash's inclusion in the Wonderbolts.

Best episode of the season so far for me, no doubt. 

• Brohoof 2

am i the only one who think Lighting dust punishment was so harsh

Maybe you should check out my video review of the episode just one post obove yours - you may discover something familiar near the end ;)

I hope we get to see more Wonderbolt centric episodes. It will be interesting to see where Rainbow Dash goes from here. Will we get to see the same amount of Rainbow Dash as the season continues? I did think it was sweet to see Pinkie Pie care about Rainbow Dash so much though. 

Pretty good episode, I think it gets a lot of hate simply because there's conflict in it. Loved the inclusion of the pegasi from Hurricane Fluttershy.

Edited by Railrunner

People are aware of the released script for the alternate ending that wasn't used, right? It gives you an idea for what happened to Lightning Dust, and also shows that Dash -will- come back from the Academy after her week of camp.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/12/alternate-ending-to-wonderbolts-academy.html

I am still sad they didn't make episode 8 an extension of episode 7. Seriously, then end the episode with Rainbow Dash leading a group of 10 or so ponies at the Wonderbolt Academy and the next episode she doesn't even exist. I hope they go back to the academy in episode 9 because they left the story in episode 7 somewhat unfinished.

People are aware of the released script for the alternate ending that wasn't used, right? It gives you an idea for what happened to Lightning Dust, and also shows that Dash -will- come back from the Academy after her week of camp.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/12/alternate-ending-to-wonderbolts-academy.html

I'm curious why they didn't use this ending. My two ideas ( which aren't exclusive) are that they didn't have time left in the episode and that Lightning reforming so quickly would have felt forced.

Either way though, it's good to get the scoop on what might have been, especially since Dash being a better flier than Dust is half-canon ( I never doubted it for a second anyway)

The ending they used does set up a potential return for Dust though, that is unless they don't want to redo Magic Duel. I wouldn't terribly mind if she came back, provided they did it in an interesting way, which I believe they could.

• Brohoof 3

I'm curious why they didn't use this ending. My two ideas ( which aren't exclusive) are that they didn't have time left in the episode and that Lightning reforming so quickly would have felt forced.

Yeah, this would be a surprisingly quick refom. But I'm not sure if I would not have preferred the alternative ending after all - now LD it seems that LD gets all the punishment and no chance to redeem herself...  :huh:

Either way though, it's good to get the scoop on what might have been, especially since Dash being a better flier than Dust is half-canon ( I never doubted it for a second anyway)

The ending they used does set up a potential return for Dust though, that is unless they don't want to redo Magic Duel. I wouldn't terribly mind if she came back, provided they did it in an interesting way, which I believe they could.

Yeah, this would be a surprisingly quick refom. But I'm not sure if I would not have preferred the alternative ending after all - now LD it seems that LD gets all the punishment and no chance to redeem herself...  :huh:

I think that the reason of returning of Lightning Dust would be her return in some other episode. Plus, I still can't pin her last face's true feeling. Was it remorse, or just the disapproval from her dreams?

The thing about her returning though, is how much it would seem like Trixie right now. Except we don't really know. However if she does return...then there are two ways it could go.

1. A non-reformed LD who makes a good deed....buuuuut just to try and get the eye from the Wonderbolts after her not so successful pass in the academy.

Or 2. A reformed LD who ends up making a good deed, and apologizes to those she felt the need to do so. 

But until I can pinpoint her last face's true feelings...I'm avoiding myself from making any more assuptions. The question is though. What would make more sense for LD to do? :huh:

But you know, I agree with DashForever. Such a quick reform in the span of maybe one or two days seems slightly quick for someone so hell bent on following her path disregarding everything else...unless LD didn't have the bad luck of something happening to her or others due to her actions...or maybe her backstory is a bit more complicated. Who knows...

I love this show and their crew. :mellow:

• Brohoof 2

I think that the reason of returning of Lightning Dust would be her return in some other episode. Plus, I still can't pin her last face's true feeling. Was it remorse, or just the disapproval from her dreams?

I want to believe the best of Lightning Dust, but for me it doesn't help that she didn't show any signs of sadness or remorse until she was punished. It makes it hard to believe that she has learned anything yet and that she regrets her actions for reasons other than that they led to her downfall. I won't completely write off other explanations, but I will say that I think it is more likely that if she returns, it will be as a villain.

I want to believe the best of Lightning Dust, but for me it doesn't help that she didn't show any signs of sadness or remorse until she was punished. It makes it hard to believe that she has learned anything yet and that she regrets her actions for reasons other than that they led to her downfall. I won't completely write off other explanations, but I will say that I think it is more likely that if she returns, it will be as a villain.

Know that feel. Although I don't see her as a villain in the future. Just... neutral perhaps. She isn't bad after all. Or she wasn't bad, at least. But it is a possibilty. Maybe Trixie played Twilight and she may be a villain yet again. And then we see an LD/Trixie combo.

Woah... that wouldn't be that good.........waaaaaaaaaait...

Trixie/Twilight

Lightning Dust/Rainbow Dash

Those are opposites within the characters' strengths...oh...something deeper might be going down with all this... :ph34r:

Know that feel. Although I don't see her as a villain in the future. Just... neutral perhaps. She isn't bad after all. Or she wasn't bad, at least. But it is a possibilty. Maybe Trixie played Twilight and she may be a villain yet again. And then we see an LD/Trixie combo.

Woah... that wouldn't be that good.........waaaaaaaaaait...

Trixie/Twilight

Those are opposites within the characters' strengths...oh...something deeper might be going down with all this... :ph34r:

Possibly, although I doubt Trixie was pulling a fast one. This idea has come up before, and I've toyed with the idea of Lightning Dust teaming up with Gilda due to some significant similarities in their characters. I guess we'll have to see what happens in future episodes. If more of the six end up with clear foils then it will set off alarm bells for a possible future episode.

• Brohoof 1

Trixie/Twilight

Don't forget the Pinkie Pie Clones/Pinkie Pie. They are fun-loving, just like Pinkie Pie... but are also shallow, inconsiderate, and only concerned with having fun. They are a worthy foil to Pinkie Pie.

Edited by Stellafera

People are aware of the released script for the alternate ending that wasn't used, right? It gives you an idea for what happened to Lightning Dust, and also shows that Dash -will- come back from the Academy after her week of camp.   http://www.equestria...ts-academy.html

I really wished they would have used this ending. :( Lightning Dust is like Rainbow Dash before she became part of the mane 6 i think she really doesn't know what she was doing is wrong she's just misguided, but with some help she could learn how to push herself the right way. I hope LD comes back and redeems herself in the future.

I remember when I first found out MW wrotes this episode I, well yelled some pretty unpleasant things. I've grown to like her episodes throughout season 2 but the last time she wrote a Rainbow Dash episode, things got....nasty to say the least, and I was absolutely surprised that they decided to have her write RD's season 3 episode. Imagine my surprise when she manages to write not only the best Rainbow Dash yet, but also my favorite Rainbow Dash episode, knocking off Sonic Rainboom from the top. That's not to say I had a few nitpicks, but in the end of the day, they're just that, nitpicks

What I liked:

-Rainbow Dash at her finest

-We got to know more about the wonderbolts

-Spitfire, it's great to know how her postion in the Wonderbolts works

-Lightning Dust was a great foil for Rainbow Dash, and how we slowly see more of what she's like

-Applejack's "It's a Twister!". I dunno why, that line is just so stereotypically hilarious

-The return of certain background pegasai(especially since Cloudchaser and Thunderlane are my favorites), including Mr."YEEAAAAH!!!"

-Unlike most people, I actually really liked Pinkie here, normally, I find some of her antics and craziness more annoying, but when they mix them with concern for her friends, I find them absolutely adorable

What I didn't like:

-I didn't mind Spitfire role here, but I felt like it would've been better if they used a completely new pony as the drill sergent figure

-No Soarin :(

-It felt like the perfect opportunity to have a Wonderboltized song based off of Mulan's "Make a man Out of You". So I was pretty disappointed that that never happened

-Some of the Pinkie Pie scenes could've been cut, it felt like they ate too much time

-I'm torn on the ending. On one hand, the alternate ending had more closure and I would have been more satisfied with it. On the other, I think the current ending was left open to give for another time to be explored further, which means more wonderbolt action and a possible return for Lightning Dust

Before this episode I was hoping that MW would never write a Rainbow Dash episode again. But after this one(amd to a lesser extent Spike at Your Service), now I really excited to see what more she can do with Rainbow Dash

Final Score: 9/10

• Brohoof 1