Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You know...

Discordian

Trying to get someone to watch the show who just looks at it as a show for little girls and the only people older than that who like it are weirdos and furry lovers is a real pain in the ass.

He hates when people talk shit about video games without having played them so I refuse to listen to any of his crap unless he watches it for himself. I'm not saying he has to like it but unless he does I won't take anything he says seriously.

He literally told me that if he had a son who liked the show he would forcibly make sure his son never watched it because it's not normal for a boy to like a show with rainbow colored ponies.

Theres a guy on these very forums that acts like ponies beat him as a child. Why he joined I never know but calling him brony gets him so mad.

I know what you mean people need to be a bit more open minded about things.

I have a friend just like this... He won't give the show a try. He has seen a bit of it, but he says it sucks... He thinks MLP:FiM sucks. I know, spawn of satan...

He is one of those hopeless people who will probably only get into ponies once we take over the world... oh well, I can wait...

(edited)

I picked out two episodes for him to watch that aren't even the pilot. I don't care if you are a 40 year old, ex-military, alpha male who thinks that there are certain social standings that should never be messed with like boys watching ponies or playing with dolls when they are young, I refuse to let you talk shit about something you don't really know that much about except that the people you know don't watch it and say that the fact that it has such a huge fanbase is because of bandwagoning or all the fans are just weirdos and not normal people.

I gave him Applebuck Season to show off the comedy of the series and Party of One to show the extremities that show up in the series that you literally can't limit to "just a girl's show"

Edited by Discordian

'... And Celestia said "Let there be love and tolerance." And there was love and tolerance.'

If he keeps up the pony-dissing though, I'd mock some of his favorite games you haven't played. Give him his own medicine.

I find 0.0001% chance that this person will ever become a brony but the least I can do is at least stop him from talking ignorantly about it.

I'm not the type to force conformity or force my opinions and views on others but this guy, though a friend, really reaches to the limits with things he says about it.

May I ask who?

VeedddeeR is his username.

I find 0.0001% chance that this person will ever become a brony but the least I can do is at least stop him from talking ignorantly about it.

Yeah, it's sort of hypocritical considering the fact that he hates it when people do the same towards video games.

So apparently he has watched it some. And he says it's retarded. I don't think he watched more than half an episode though and because his daughter became disinterested in it that means it's a bad show.

This person is impossible. -_-

Half an episode isn't nearly enough to judge an entire series.

• Brohoof 1

Just keep in mind that going too far out of your way to try and convert someone over to the ponies can be counterproductive; lay it on too thick and he'll be just that much more inclined to stay stubborn about the whole thing. Ponies aren't always for everyone.

• Brohoof 4

My biggest thing about the whole deal isn't so much about whether he watches it, likes or hates it or whatever.

It's the ridicule he puts on me and the fans of the show. it's ridiculous.

Because it wasn't socially normal to like ponies when he was a kid, it's not normal now.

Society changes and he seems to think that all of society should stay the same and people like him are the only things keeping society from falling apart.

I'm very tired of that alpha male attitude towards everything about me and things I like and the people who happen to agree with me.

I know some people that would probably be like that (my dad for one) but I just don't tell them about ponies. If they don't know, it's not a problem. If I think I can get someone to like it, I'll tell them, but otherwise I don't see the point.

If I think I can get someone to like it, I'll tell them, but otherwise I don't see the point.

I usually just link people to a goofy youtube mashup or two, and if they seem receptive go from there.

All it took was two videos to get a couple guys at work hooked; Derpy quickly took over the wallpaper of every computer in their domain, and became their unofficial department mascot for a while.

For me, I don't force ponies down peoples' throats but I'll be damned if I'm gonna NOT share things with people just because people are gonna hate me for it. I will fight til my dying breath for things I believe in, that includes being able to say what I want, when I want rather than having to deliberately hide it from people I know are gonna hate on it.

For me, I don't force ponies down peoples' throats but I'll be damned if I'm gonna NOT share things with people just because people are gonna hate me for it.

True enough, I suppose. And really, I'd say that if someone hates, or gives you a ton of shit just because you like a certain television show, they're probably not worth dealing with in the first place.

I'm lucky in that most of my friends are either dead-neutral regarding the whole thing, or are (casual, for the most part) fans themselves... with the exception of a single, fairly close friend of mine, who has an irrational hatred for the whole thing. Fortunately we were able to come to a mutually beneficial understanding before it could drive a wedge between us, though.

I know some people that would probably be like that (my dad for one) but I just don't tell them about ponies. If they don't know, it's not a problem. If I think I can get someone to like it, I'll tell them, but otherwise I don't see the point.

I learned this the hard way when I showed my mom the show last night. We got to Rainbow Dash crashing into Twilight, and she called uncle. She said it was too juvenile to take seriously and that anyone who's part of the college-aged to 35-something audience is really immature. It's actually quite sad, considering I think she'd really benefit from the positive influence of ponies given what's going on in the world right now. She's too much of a realist to accept that kind of escape, but I think the show deals with enough real issues, basic as they may be, to take at least a bit seriously.

I too can't tell my dad I watch it now, but I've shown him "What Pinkie Pie's Song Actually Sounded Like" and he laughed his plot off. Whatever. Maybe when the appeal spreads and she knows people like Bill Clinton, Steven Colbert and Lady Gaga are among our ranks, she'll give it another shot. Plus, my sister has a kid coming, and if it's a girl that could be an easier entryway.

Meanwhile, I'll get back to converting my entire music department. B) Oh, and managing the So Cal Brony Bulletin Board. Feel so accomplished whenever I update that. :)

Edited by Vinyl Scratch

Some people can be incredibly stubborn about things. I have a friend who wouldn't even watch an episode of Doctor Who with me for 6 months of pestering. Finally he broke down and agreed to watch one episode. But even after seeing Blink with me (and being riveted to the screen the whole time) he still swears he doesn't like the show. He's just not willing to admit he was impressed, even though I could tell he enjoyed it when we were watching. He's the same way about ponies now. I pulled a ninja move on him the other day. We were driving back to my place, and I was playing Super Pony Beats. He was impressed and kept asking me what the music was, cause he liked it. When we got back, I looked over at him and smiled and said it was all from My Little Pony. His face paled so fast and then he just started sputtering like he couldn't believe he just admitted he liked something to do with ponies. Since then he's declared them Anathema and swears up and down he won't be caught having anything to do with ponies again. I find it funny really, cause I can see he would enjoy it, he's practically admitted that already. He's just too stubborn to try. :)

Edited by Tyroq
  • Brohoof 2

I've been lucky and have gotten most of the people I know to try the show out and they liked it, but I have a friend who refuses to watch it simple because it's a show for girls. He's even watched an episode and said it was good, but still refuses to watch more of it just because it's My Little Pony.

I also had a friend who kept calling me and my friend gay for watching the show and that the show sucked. He later on became a huge fan of the show after actually watching it, haha

• Brohoof 1

I have failed to get anyone to try watching it. Most just say "It's not my thing but you go on and like it :)"

<.< Then there's those like him and a sports jock I know who refuse to watch it because it's about ponies.

I pulled a ninja move on him the other day. We were driving back to my place, and I was playing Super Pony Beats. He was impressed and kept asking me what the music was, cause he liked it. When we got back, I looked over at him and smiled and said it was all from My Little Pony. His face paled so fast and then he just started sputtering like he couldn't believe he just admitted he liked something to do with ponies.

Perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned the the music' source inspiration and just said "Oh, you like it? I'll give you a folder full of the MP3s." Then he could have come to the realisation of the source himself when he looked through the titles. Or if he didn't notice that right away he would have eventually, probably when he'd already listened to them enough times that he'd be reluctant to discard them just because of their source. As it was, it might have felt to him simply like further pressure to get him into something that he doesn't want to like.

It's cool with me if somebody gives the show a shot, doesn't like it and leaves it at that. Friendship is Magic isn't for everyone. What I don't like is when people are close - minded enough not to give it a try just because it's My Little Pony, and then continuously make fun of you for it.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

There's a big group of bronies at my college and one of my friends talks shit about them all the time. He's always totally freaking out about bronies and how he hopes the fad will die and he doesn't understand "why people decide to watch a show that everyone hates". He watches a bunch of kids shows that I've watched and don't like (but don't spend my time making fun of) but he automatically hates My Little Pony without knowing anything about it.

A friend of mine once tried to give me shit about liking MLP.

"So how do you like being a Pony ####er?"

"Dude, it's goddamn awesome; Dat Fluttershy ---- OOWWWHHH YREAAHHH!"

He quickly gave up.