Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone own or ever owned a tame silver fox?

King Tryndamere

I'm thinking of getting one some day, but they're over $3k (after documentation and shipping and handling). I MIGHT be able to get some money to buy one, although I doubt it. Are they really as tame as they say? Are they as safe to own as a dog? I want one badly, but I don't know if I would be allowed to have one in my apartment unless I can convince people that they don't have any of their wild instincts.

Also, what about fennec foxes? I heard they're also pretty tame, just difficult to housebreak, although I could probably get a housebroken one, and they only cost $1k.

Also, what would the vet bills be like? Would most vets even  examine exotic pets? If I could find someone who does handle exotic pets would the bills be less, equal, or more than let's say a cat or dog?

• Brohoof 1

I've never owned one (nor do I know anyone who has had one before), but I do know that it's a huge undertaking.

First off: where do you live? Most states in the U.S. don't allow wild or exotic animals to be kept as pets, and that usually includes foxes. From what I can tell, only about ~20% of states allow it, but you'll most likely have to purchase an exotic pet license.

The one thing that I have read over and over is that they have boundless energy (far beyond that of a normal domestic dog), and confining them to a small space seems to be looked down upon for that one reason. Unless you have a very large space for them to run around in, it doesn't look like a great choice.

Another thing that I've read is that this vast supply of energy tends to make them hard to catch should they escape. Even if you have a fenced in yard, they're good at digging, and will get right under the fence in a short amount of time. In most cases, it's recommended that you sink your fences into the ground a foot or so in order to discourage that kind of behavior.

There's more that I could say, but those are the big issues that I've come across while reading up on the subject. I do admit: it would be awesome to own one though. Who could say no to that face?

Fennec+Fox.JPG

• Brohoof 2

I read that domesticated foxes have most of their adrenaline bred out, and that they're loyal, so I don't think they would need to run around too much. And I live in NY state, not sure if it's legal to own an exotic pet here or not. If all else fails, I guess I can get a small dog (the domesticated foxes are a lot like dogs anyway, and I would save me the hassle of buying an exotic pet license, and cut all 100% of the risk that comes with owning a fox (although I think the risk of having one is small or non existant, (besides the small risks that come with owning a dog).

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Necroposting here, but silver foxes, despite being more tame, are not good pets, or any fox at all. They are illegal in most places for a reason, and should never be an impulse buy. Foxes are extremely territorial, smell horrible, and wreck everything in sight. Even as a huge fox lover I don't think I'd be able to handle that.

I am not against ownership, though I do not like the idea of them becoming a mainstream pet. Only if you are capable of giving it all its needs, and I mean all. Having exotic pets can be a wonderful experience if you know how to care for them. The problem is people can get them and not know what to do, or be overwhelmed and give them up. The animal suffers because of that.

Do not get a fox just because it's cute, or because it would be cool. Only get one if you are commited to care for it its entire life. Also, it is illegal in most places. Keep in mind I am meaning all foxes, including reds, arctics, grays, and fennecs.

• Brohoof 3

Foxes were never meant to be domesticated pets they will always be a wild animal just like the wolf dog even though its part dog it still has wolf in it and so its wild nature will still remain and its illegal to own unless you have a permit to own foxes, but in order to get that you have to spend a lot of years around the animals and even then you can still be denied a permit and without proper knowledge of the animal it would not be a wise decision to own any breed of fox if your looking to own a canine a dog would be a better decision if your landlord allows pets and they are expensive to own they have specific needs which differ from your typical dog and the vet bills can become costly not only that you need to find a vet with the knowledge of exotic animals which can be tough since a lot of vets don't accept wildlife so think smart and don't impulse buy.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Sorry for continuing on this seriously old post, but just wanted to second what @Foxy Socks said. Not only do you have to make sure you're entirely committed to the health and happiness of this animal, but you must also make sure your zoning laws and landlord allows for foxes. You'd also have to be extremely careful of who you allow around your fox, because if your fox bit someone and they reported it, the animal could be seized and put down to test for rabies. Also, if you have other pets or plan to, you'd have to ensure your fox won't see them as prey. And of course, finding a vet who is comfortable with treating foxes would be a must.

Regarding fennec foxes... aside from being seriously cute, I've unfortunately never heard anything too great about keeping them as pets. Also, they're nocturnal, so chances are they'd normally be asleep (or want to be) when most peple are awake!

Not saying they don't make great pets for the right people, because they can. With enough time, they may even become as well adjusted to life as pets as some of the other creatures we commonly share our homes with.

Edited by Meeps
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Meeps said:

Sorry for continuing on this seriously old post, but just wanted to second what @Foxy Socks said. Not only do you have to make sure you're entirely committed to the health and happiness of this animal, but you must also make sure your zoning laws and landlord allows for foxes. You'd also have to be extremely careful of who you allow around your fox, because if your fox bit someone and they reported it, the animal could be seized and put down to test for rabies. Also, if you have other pets or plan to, you'd have to ensure your fox won't see them as prey. And of course, finding a vet who is comfortable with treating foxes would be a must.

Regarding fennec foxes... aside from being seriously cute, I've unfortunately never heard anything too great about keeping them as pets. Also, they're nocturnal, so chances are they'd normally be asleep (or want to be) when most peple are awake!

Not saying they don't make great pets for the right people, because they can. With enough time, they may even become as well adjusted to life as pets as some of the other creatures we commonly share our homes with.

Actually red foxes along with probably others are nocturnal too.

Edited by Foxy Socks