Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most popular shippings?

Freewave

One day I was at home i was a bit bored and thought it would be a cool idea to actually see what the most popular fandom shippings were, using the best means i had at my discression. What i did was look at how many people were in each of the deviant art groups that represented each coupling (as almost every popular shipping has a group). Taking that number for each and then ranking them i came up with this list. Now i may have missed out on a few but i've also shown this list off to a few people and i think gotten most of the additions added that i was initally missing. These numbers likely have changed since i did this back in October but it's still a cool info since some of us likely will be unaware of some of them. Since some ships may be done through fanfics i can't really represent these using the same data as these were done off deviant art followers and visual art.

Anyway i digress, here's the list (This List is OLD See the New Totals as of 7/27/13)

SoarinDash 1166
AppleDash 978
Flutterdash 919
CelestiaCord 800
FlutterMac 701
RainbowPie 674
Time-Bubbles 672
OctaScratch 649
Armor-And-Cadence 590
LyraXBonBon 561
Sparity 449 

DiscoPie 405
TwiDash 369
PinkieShy 343
TwiLuna 339
Rarijack 292
RariTwi 280
Rarishy/Flarity 279
Spikebloom 222
AppleSpark 211
RariPie 160
SoarBurn 136
Twilestia 129
RariDash120
CheeriMac 120
TwiTrix 96
Berrygate 93
Applepie 83
Flamebow 78
AppleShy 65
GildaDash 54
SpikeBelle 48

Anyway hope this is ok (kinda grey area but most of these groups are primarily SFW ships and MLPforums allows that) but there it is. Hopefully people won't take this into R34 territory.

Anyway if you think i missed a few let me know and maybe I'll update and ammend the list. ;)

At this writing Discord and Fluttershy (Discoshy?) could even be the new power couple (which is sad because i always liked a slice of DiscoPie myself). :lol: 

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Good to see my favourite ship in sixth place. Of course, I already knew it was popular, but in comparison to other pretty prominent ships, it's welcome news.

Second favourite ship in first place, too. I'm happy with these :D

• Brohoof 1

Wait now, wait wait wait wait. Spike and Sweetie Belle are shipped? They are shipped? I literally got a jaw drop when I saw that really,  I mean I didn't know. I mean I don't even.

Also: Discord and Pinkie Pie? Really?  :blink:

Edited by Hitpony

Pinkieshy at only 14th place is a bit saddening, but oh well. At least it's on the list. And I'm surprised that Trixissism (Trixie x Trixie) isn't higher on the list. I find that "pair" really funny.

Hm, very interesting. Thank you for going to the trouble of looking all of this up!

I'm slightly disappointed RainbowPie isn't more popular But that's ok, since it has all the best fanart and fanfics anyways.

Edited by ~Chaotic Rainbow~
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Wait now, wait wait wait wait. Spike and Sweetie Belle are shipped? They are shipped? I literally got a jaw drop when I saw that really,  I mean I didn't know. I mean I don't even.

Also: Discord and Pinkie Pie? Really?  :blink:

You know i like both of those ships and both of those have moments from the show. Sweetie Belle and Spike of course were at the Royal Wedding together if you remember and let's face it Spike may be closer in age and have a better shot with Sweetie Belle than with Rarity anyway. Plus Sweetie Belle might love to one up her sister.  Wuv, young wuv.   :blush:

Discopie is a funny one but also those 2 seemed to play off each other in the beginning of that 2 parter (with Discord liking Pinkie's laugh and Pinkie loving the chaos and chocolate rain). Certainly 2 random characters that may emjoy each other's company. Plus i just love the name too. :lol:

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Wait both a straight Dash ship AND my favorite one is No. 1? Now there's something to be surprised about, but what can I say, I'm not complaining

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I'm really surprised that LyraxBonBon and OctasScratch aren't higher. LxBB is basically canon anyway! I guess they're still background ponies so that could be part of it.

• Brohoof 1

OctaScratch is the only ship I can be bothered to even remotely care about.

Maybe it's because I like Classical music and Electronic music, maybe it's because the two characters are interesting and balance each other out well... or maybe it's just because they're freaking adorbz.

vinyl_and_octavia_by_albadune-d5hky5i.pn

octavia_and_vinyl_scratch_snuggles_by_sh

Edited by Hansel

I'm sure those numbers will change quite a bit with FIMFic as a base instead of Deviant Art.  Now combining the two would be even better to give an idea what the community leans towards.

(edited)

I'm sure those numbers will change quite a bit with FIMFic as a base instead of Deviant Art.  Now combining the two would be even better to give an idea what the community leans towards.

Is there anyway you'd be able to gauge that?  If anyone has any bright ideas let me know. Fimfiction is not something i actively follow as I'm much more into the visual art but I'm willing to expand the scope if it's possible.

Edited by Freewave

Is there anyway you'd be able to gage that?  If anyone has any bright ideas let me know. Fimfiction is not something i actively follow as I'm much more into the visual art but I'm willing to expand the scope if it's possible.

I suppose you could go off of the characters listed in the header and what is described, but that could be a bit time consuming...

It's a bit surprising how CelestiaCord came in 4th, since I know many people despise that shipping(Though I do like it a bit). But yeah, I was hoping for some DiscordXFluttershy :(

Edited by Stary Dreams
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

oh the fandom of shipping....

My mane ones are Luna/Twilight.....

which is my guilt a bit on the side!

The other i might like is Flutter/Twilight

or AJ or Dash on the side line for the girl/girl thing.

Cord/Cel is my fav stright pairing or Dr Hooves or Derpy!

• 1 month later...

Sparity isn't as high as it should be. This must be rectified!

Release the Kraken!

I can understand why it isn't within the top five. Requires people to like Spike and Rarity, which a lot of people don't do, aparrently.

I happen to love Spike/Rarity ships. Its the most visible canon ship in the series and my personal favorite

That said. I also like Lyra/Bonbon and Cheerilee/Mac ships.

Those would be my top three

As for the rest in not overly crazy about but I'm not against them either.

• Brohoof 1

Never understood FlutterMac. Neither of them would speak to each other. I don't get why it's a good ship at all.

Surprised TwiTrixie isn't higher.

SoarinDash is weak too IMO. "LOOK A MALE WONDERBOLT NAMED CHARACTER APPEARING FOR TWO SECONDS HE MUST BE SHIPPED WITH DASH"

why is Dash shipped more than anyone else anyway?

can't say I understand shipping Pinkie with anyone - how the hell does that work?

SpikeBelle surprised me, but it actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about it

• Brohoof 1