Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A rant about Derpy being removed.

Svinnik

pretty much this..... once i let Bronies on another forum know that i complained.... i was bombarded with hate and even death threats.... but I was still the ignorant hater so it was all considered fair, i was even banned from that forum.

and i know i am not the only person to receive that treatment.

Ditzy Do still had a chance to remain in the show as she was in hurrican fluttershy with no complaints so all bronies had to accept the change (considering it was only a TV change the DVDs were unaltered) but bronies snapped at the neck of hasbro and now the poor Pegasus is out of the show completely 

Many seem to think bronies were the only ones affected by this. I have seen first hand that this is not the case. I had met the acquaintance of a little girl whose only source for the show was tv. Whilst she didn't seem to know the name of the character she was very upset that the voice had changed. She loved that scene, and doesn't get to see it anymore. 

The point is it shouldn't have been changed at all. Characters like this have permeated animation for over half a century and have been well accepted in children's cartoons. In fact in other cartoons they can be 100% confirmed stupid. Examples include Patrick Star(spongebob), Lube(Catdog), Cosmo(fairly odd parents), Billy(Gim Adventures), and Ed(Edd and Eddy). Most of these characters have a vapid expression and dopey voice. Why is it ok in those shows but not this one? Seems like a double standard to me. So it would seem to me that it would take a certain amount of ignorance of the history of animated television shows to complain about it in this particular show when it is so prevalent and accepted. 

You will get no hate from me, nor death threats. However I would implore that anyone reading take the next thing I type to heart. Think really really carefully before you complain to a company about something like this. Your actions could affect more people than you think. I know two little girls who were affected by this(only one of which I mentioned). Now a character they like was changed then maybe removed. 

• Brohoof 2

I disagree with the apparent assessment that the fandom needed another Derpy rant, but okay. -_-  Quite frankly, I don't care very much about Derpy and I would like her a lot better if not for this whole controversy. I think they made a mistake in giving her a speaking role and playing her exaggerated behavior for laughs, and I think we made a big mistake by interpreting it as a positive portrayal of the mentally challenged, a negative portrayal of the mentally challenged, or anything except as a funny opening and a wink-and-nudge to the bronies. And whoever complained about it should have found something more useful to do with their life.

IMO, Derpy's potential as a character or symbol has been overwhelmed and basically destroyed by the obvious damage that whole controversy did to this fandom. If nobody can talk about Derpy anymore without an argument starting, which is exactly the case, then we are better off without her. And that's what I've learned about friendship lately, Princess.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't want to get into a rant but here go's :angry:

Both sides of the derpy cause are in the wrong! First of all if you're against derpy then that's understandble as long as you have a valid reason. It is true that her voice could have been seen as possibly offense but you can't say that her actions are offensive seeing as nobody really had anything to say about her beforehand like in the episode "Feeling Pinkie Keen" when we witnessed a scene where derpy accdently dropped moving supplies. The complints did not start until"the Last roundup" When Derpy actually spoke and people took her voice as an insult to the Mentally-challenged, change her voice is somewhat understandble but completly getting rid of her character(not even as a background pony) is not!

To the people who are for Derpy you cannot send death threats to people who find Derpy offinsive! When you do that you are only adding more fuel to the fire for Non-Derpy supporters. I've seen people claiming they would stop watching the show if Derpy is not seen again, this is the worst thing to do! The best thing to do is to try and show Hasbro in a civil manner why Derpy is such a great role model for many and convince them to keep Derpy in the show in some form.

My personal opinion on the matter is I'm actually a supporter for Derpy and personally thought she was an intresting character to introduce for the show. I really believe that hasbro should keep her because in my opininon there are many other characters in cartoons that have been worse such as patrick star or snips and snails. I feel the best course is for me to state why i love the character and to be civil with people who think she is offinsive even if they are not and send something such as a video petition showing people who believe she is charming and explain why they like her.

Sorry about the long post... :blink:

• Brohoof 1

@,@@TailsIsNotAlone,

erm can i like physically jump though your screen and hug the pair of you.... plz  

my reason for complaining was valid in my opinion, if you look at the unedited scene and RD's attitude along with the potential meaning of derpy being use as a name, as an insult the same as calling someone stupid. 

then it just looks like bullying and that's one thing i have suffered for having a lazy eye and i know many other kids with lazy eyes how had/get the same treatment.

i personaly think we should all put it behind us

the edit happened, Hasbro may have went to far with it but that for good reason (they were covering there asses), she was still in the show after and we had months to be respectful, we didn't, she has been removed from the show and only the show.... she will make many appearances in the comics  

EDIT-

@, to lazy to start a new post, just do your research plz or just look for previous posts about derpy 

and reasearch the dumb male cartoon character trope while you're at it if you are going to compare Ditzy Do as one.... seriously 

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

Prepare for the longest rant of your life. (I'm also pissed.)

I do not find Derpy offensive AT.ALL. Look at Snips and Snails, or Patrick Star, or that yellow guy from Ed' Ed' n Eddy. Were they deemed "special"? Yes, they were. So why is Hasbro removing her? She's cute, she's funny, andd there is nothing wrong with her voice whatsoever. Like you said, its those god forsaken, overprotective soccer moms who don't want their kids to find out about disabled people. This is the SAME.THING.WITH.NAZIS; political correctness. Nazi: If you're not one of us and white, we're going to kill you. Hasbro: Derpy is different so we're going to remove her. See the similiarity? Nothing is wrong with Derpy, nothing is wrong with being "different", nothing is wrong with disabled people! Look at me, I'm disabled. One of my eyes is crossed, just like her! Am I offended? No, I'm not. In fact, when I saw that episode, I realized deep down who my REAL favourite pony was. And not only is Hasbro endorsing political correctness, but they are also endorsing kids to shun "different" kids by removing her like she's a plauge to humanity. Many people who were offended were soccer moms. Bronies and fans who were disabled LOVED HER. Hasbro is doing the same that Blizzard Entertainment did; ignore the majority and please the minoirity, making the larger group angry and upset. Derpy wasn't offensive to me, and I've made that clear, Derpy wasn't offensive to regular Bronies, Derpy wasn't offensive to kids, DERPY.WASN'T.OFFENSIVE.TO.DISABLED.PEOPLE. Hasbro and the show ITSELF is going against what the show is supposed to teach kids; love and tolerate, even if they're different. The show is going against their own lessons. Would Lauren Faust be offended? No, she wouldn't. Because she loves Derpy for who she is, I love her for who she is, BRONIES love her for who she is. So a message to EVERY.LAST.SOCCER.MOM:IN.EXSISTENCE; Everyone discovers things eventually,  so don't be so politically correct. Let your kid ;learn to love and tolerate different people. If you don't tell them, they're going to discover it eventually. so just tell them.

Rant over, Sketchi out.

Edited by Sketchi
  • Brohoof 1

To the people who are for Derpy you cannot send death threats to people who find Derpy offinsive! When you do that you are only adding more fuel to the fire for Non-Derpy supporters. I've seen people claiming they would stop watching the show if Derpy is not seen again, this is the worst thing to do! The best thing to do is to try and show Hasbro in a civil manner why Derpy is such a great role model for many and convince them to keep Derpy in the show in some form.

I am not defending those who sent death threats by any means, but I fail to see why any Derpy fans should have to apologize for an extreme minority that dosen't represent even 1/10% of Derpy fans. Sure to be fair there are plenty of rabid fans that don't go quite that far but again I fail to see why I should apologize for them when I am not like them at all, I will admit that I did lose my temper in one other Derpy topic on here but I realize that it solved nothing and will try not to do that again in the future. You are right though on trying to be civil and show that Derpy can be a positive roll model without being a stereotype yet still be the slightly clumsy adorable grey mare fans know and love.

It is because of this desire that I am working on a fanfic about Derpy and want to know what everyone thinks about the idea. As some of you know in fanon Derpy has a daughter named Dinky, in this fanfic idea the child protective services tries to take away Derpy's daughter because much of the town falsely assumes that Derpy is severely mentally impaired and therefore unfit to raise Dinky. So Derpy has to fight it out in court and public opinion to prove that she is mentally fit to raise her own daughter. Much of the inspiration for this fanfic comes from the movie based on a true story called I Am Sam, but unlike Sam Derpy is not retarded and is actually fairly intelligent although she will retain her wall eyes and slightly clumsy nature.

@Anudu- D*mn. Just ... d*mn. I was actually going to email Hasbro and convince them, but I didn't rage quit. I cared for her more than pissed and moaned over her. Seriously, calm the buck down. Not even I'm that mad about anything, ever. I guess we need to just move on. There really is no way to convince than otherwise. But, if I can, and its not too late, I'm going to try. Its offensive to me that they'd remove her BECAUSE I'm like her. I'll see you later, I have a Pegasus to save!

But im not super angry. I bolded all of my responses so they would be easily veiwable. Where was anger conveyed in my response? It was not intended at all. The only thing I was even slightly almost miffed about was was that blunt statment on my knowledge, and vague threat, the f bombs didnt help either. Just for future reference its pretty safe to assume that Im not angry at anyone, Im not quick to tha type of response with people. 

Edited by Anadu Kune

I don't really understand why she is getting so much hate but I love her and I know we all do here!

I know I'll miss her if she does end up... Leaving..., I love looking out for her and I've started sketching her too! She's so lovely and tries so hard even if she is clumsy and a little odd.

She's like me in a way... Clumsy and weird so I know I'll miss her.

It's a silly over-reaction if you ask me. There is nothing offensive about Derpy. She's just a sweet little pony. What's wrong with that?

We love you Derpy!!!

<333

@,@@TailsIsNotAlone,

erm can i like physically jump though your screen and hug the pair of you.... plz  

my reason for complaining was valid in my opinion, if you look at the unedited scene and RD's attitude along with the potential meaning of derpy being use as a name, as an insult the same as calling someone stupid. 

then it just looks like bullying and that's one thing i have suffered for having a lazy eye and i know many other kids with lazy eyes how had/get the same treatment.

i personaly think we should all put it behind us

the edit happened, Hasbro may have went to far with it but that for good reason (they were covering there asses), she was still in the show after and we had months to be respectful, we didn't, she has been removed from the show and only the show.... she will make many appearances in the comics  

EDIT-

@, to lazy to start a new post, just do your research plz or just look for previous posts about derpy 

and reasearch the dumb male cartoon character trope while you're at it if you are going to compare Ditzy Do as one.... seriously 

like i said before, just let me say it again, in the DVD release, the scene (which had no point to the plot or the storyline of the episode besides fixing the town hall), was in it's original version. and, personally, i thought it was cute the way it was, and will forever be in the DVD release of "The Friendship Express", MLP:FiM.

The reddit rumor was correct about Twilight Sparkle becoming a alicorn, so I assume that it's correct about Derpy. Plus, in the later episodes of season 3, she's gone just as how the post said. I think that it's pretty much confirmed now that the poster was legit.

Also, Derpy being out of the show won't ruin it for me. I just find that Derpy being taken out is like how AtomicBassCannon said.

The guy who started the rumor on reddit later posted and said he was bullshitting. A lot of background ponies were cut short from this season. 

• Brohoof 1

Heh, anyone remember Scooby-Doo's cousin since we are on the subject

Scooby-Dumb. Now that was funny as hell. The writers just straght out tell you that Scooby Dumb, is dumb.

tumblr_lzkcynIl5y1qzzusi.jpg

Good times...

Something that may cause you to cringe: in my country, the episodes where he appeared were cut. Just plain cut.

Sad, isn't it?

Even though Hasbro took action and removed Derpy from all official pony media, you all know as well as I do that she will live forever in the many fan created works.  They didn't erase her from our memories, or anything.

Derpy hasn't gone anywhere.  She's right where she belongs, with the fandom.  This is how I always felt on the subject.

• Brohoof 1

I am not defending those who sent death threats by any means, but I fail to see why any Derpy fans should have to apologize for an extreme minority that dosen't represent even 1/10% of Derpy fans. Sure to be fair there are plenty of rabid fans that don't go quite that far but again I fail to see why I should apologize for them when I am not like them at all, I will admit that I did lose my temper in one other Derpy topic on here but I realize that it solved nothing and will try not to do that again in the future. You are right though on trying to be civil and show that Derpy can be a positive roll model without being a stereotype yet still be the slightly clumsy adorable grey mare fans know and love.

I'm not saying that everybody who is a Derpy supporter sent death threats i'm just saying that they shouldn't have. I think the actions of these people caused more harm then good. When Hasbro saw this it makes them more likely to get rid of a character to prevent any negative effects such as fandom divide and for thier own saftey, and also so they can claim there's no reason for arguement since she is no longer a part of the show. If all Derpy supporters would have simply created a video petition showing why Derpy means so much to them I strongly believe Hasbro would have tried to bring Derpy back this season even if it was as a background pony, Now hasbro may be scared to really bring in the old or any new background characters due to this.

Just like me and so many other cross eyed people on the Internet (http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/471872-save-derpy), we do not find Derpy offensive and we love her. By removing Derpy from the show completely and even the background, Hasbro has shown that being cross eyed is something to be ashamed over. By stereotyping cross eyed people as "retarded" the complainers have shown themselves to be extremely narrow minded. By not knowing that cross eyed people are in general more clumsy and accident prone, people have shown themselves to be ignorant of the condition.

Anyone who thinks Dash was mean to Derpy should try watching the show. I have yet to see a single valid argument against Derpy which isn't based upon pointless nitpicking or bigotry and stereotyping.

Edited by derpstar
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Do I think Derpy should've been removed/edited?

No.

Do I agree that her portrayal, or even her concept (according to the writers) is offensive?

Yes, and frankly, arguing she isn't is silly.

1. She's portrayed as a one note character that literally does nothing but **** up. Her name even means accidental(main use). Heck, in the material cut for time, we would've seen that she was actually the one that wrecked the building. Joy.

2. She's portrayed as an absolute moron. Way to go with that dumb blonde stereotype, guys.

3. The only character with a visible handicap is a bumbling moron.

4. Her intended earlier name literally meant "stupid" or "airhead". Way to go.

Derpy perpetuates the dumb blonde stereotype and makes the one handicapped character a laughingstock.

I want Derpy to be portrayed with at least a modicum of respect, if she is to be a noticeable character.

Easy fixes:

1. Make her naïve, not outright dumb.

2. Keep the clutzyness, just don't go in such excess.

3. While I love the fandom nod, give her a name that is not negative. Derpy is.

Heck, go with Bright Eyes- it works on a number of levels: It makes her eyes a positive thing. It is the name of an earlier MLP character(that even looked similar in G3), and it's just a good name period.

Interestingly, it also works in an odd, tangential way:

Bright Eyes: A famous Art Garfunkel song. Now who did he sing with often? Paul Simon. Paul Simon had a well-known song named "Boy in the Bubble". Now what is Derpy's Cutie Mark?

Edited by RWB
  • Brohoof 1

Wait - Derpy's not actually being removed, is she? That was just a rumor, right? I really hope so, I love Derpy and I want her to have more speaking roles in the show :(

(edited)

I want her to have more speaking roles in the show img-1537271-1-sad.png

Whether or not Derpy will remain in the background or be axed completely is a bit up in the air last I heard, she did make quite a few appearances in the season 3 finale though I think that was to try to appease the fans who were uneasy about alicorn Twilight by throwing them a bit of a bone. I would like her to have more speaking roles and even her own episode but both of which especially her having her own episode is even if she remains in the background highly unlikely. There are rumors that there is going to be an episode about a disabled pony in season 4 but if there is such an episode I think it is either going to be about Scootaloo as Lauren Faust did intend for her to not be able to fly due to a disability or another character.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Wait - Derpy's not actually being removed, is she? That was just a rumor, right? I really hope so, I love Derpy and I want her to have more speaking roles in the show sad.png

Remember that Hasbro has not only *not* stopped making Derpy toys, but her comic-con exclusive toy was *after* the 'offending' episode, she is heavily shown in other media than the show, as well as being in the Season 3 finale.

The Hub is not actually run by Hasbro. It's a semi-independent company who is actually owned by Discovery Communications. Hasbro is a *partner* in the Hub, but not the controlling partner. So Hasbro has less say in what ends up in the show than what you might think. It's possible that the Hub had the edits made at the time, not Hasbro.

However, the Hub has recently started to act a bit weird (relatively speaking). They've just made some risky decisions in order to pull in more market share, such as the SheZow cartoon. If that kind of programming actually works, and the Hub actually makes progress on the long climb up to where the other three children's networks are sitting, audience-size-wise, they may decide that being the 'rebel' channel is the way to go. We'll know if they've made that decision the moment Derpy talks again. 

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Considering the fact that they brought Derpy back in the Season 3 finale, I doubt she'll be gone for good. They should at least put her in the background for the fans. I can totally see how they'd have omitted her from most of the Season 3 episodes, because of the controversy, and brought her back when they knew it would be safe to (the finale). So I hope she'll at least get a little background time in Season 4. derpy_emoticon1.png

Edited by Spring Storm

Is this really still going on?  Sure I'm bummed, but we still get our Derpy fix.  She appeared FOUR TIMES in the Season 3 finale, at one point winking at the fans.  I think I have that saved on my computer somewhere.  Yep here it is.

2wn5vg1.gif

I think we're safe.

If this isn't enough for you, go my The Friendship Express DVD off of amazon.  It has the UNEDITED version of "The Last Roundup."

• Brohoof 1

Look at the lower left corner at 0:18.

:D

Now, this is super wishful thinking, but between that, the return in MMC, and the official brushable doll we're getting this fall...

• Brohoof 1

Look at the lower left corner at 0:18.

biggrin.png

Now, this is super wishful thinking, but between that, the return in MMC, and the official brushable doll we're getting this fall...

Yeah, but another thing I noticed was that Twilight was a unicorn instead of an alicorn, so I don't know if that video is telling the future. (It's the lower right, by the way).

But both of your other two points are why I think she's coming back.

But in the end, only time will tell.

Honestly, I doubt they will ever fully remove Derpy from the show. Season 3 had a lack of Derpy for a number of reasons, it seems the number 1 reason being they simply didn't have time for the usual fandom nods (the argument that the controversy happened at the same time as they were making season 3 though doesn't seem completely valid, as it seems that actual boarding and animation was taking place in the late summer). I can't be the only one that suspects this season was rushed out as quickly as possible, and I have my suspicions that the infamous "65 episode" rule was involved.

I do believe that with Season 3's finale, and the fact that Derpy is used for all sorts of promotional material/teasers and TONS of merch, that Hasbro is very much trying to say that they like Derpy. It's almost like the only reason they won't bring her name back is the fear of a lawsuit.

In all likelihood, Derpy will continue making appearances throughout Season 4 and beyond. I don't see there being any reason not to, after all. It's the perfect loophole for them, as long as they never mention her name.

• Brohoof 2