Disney's Fantasia favorite scenes?

LittleSis

Favorite Fantasia scene?  

12 users have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• Fantasia (original 1940 version)
    • Fantasia 2000
  2. 2. What is your favorite Fantasia (original) scene?

• Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach--Abstract patterns. Animation reflects the sound and rhythms
    • Nutcracker Suite by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky--Selections from the suite are portrayed by fairies, fish, flowers, leaves, and mushrooms
    • Sorcerer's Apprentice by Dukas--Mickey and his magical brooms
    • Rite of Spring by Stravinsky--Early Earth from its creation to dinosaurs
    • The Pastoral Symphony by Beethoven--Greek gods and their antics
    • Dance of the Hours by Ponchielli--Dance troupes of hippos, elephants, and alligators
    • Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky--The devil unleashes evil souls that dance around until dawn
  3. 3. What is your favorite Fantasia 2000 scene?

• Symphony no. 5 in C minor by Beethoven--Bats and butterflies battle between light and dark
    • Pines of Rome by Respighi--Humpback whales that fly, a baby gets separated from the pod
    • Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin--The lives of four sad NYC residents
    • Piano Concerto in F major by Shostakovich--A tin soldier fights an evil jack-in-the-box and tries to win the heart of a ballerina doll
    • Carnival of the Animals by Saint-Saëns--Flamingos, one of which likes to play with yo-yos
    • Pomp and Circumstance by Elgar--Story of Noah's Ark from Donald and Daisy Duck's perspective
    • Firebird Suite by Stravinsky--A sprite and an elk awaken a firebird that destroys their forest

As I recently re-watched Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 for the millionth time, I was wondering what scenes/songs are everybody's favorites?

In each option I've included the name of the song, the composer, and a brief summary of the scene.

I remember the last post I saw about a Disney-related topic was pretty well received...Please vote!!

Edited by LittleSis

Fantasia 2000 is OK, but simply can't hold a candle to Fantasia!  That film is simply a work of art and one of the greatest experimental pieces of Western animation ever released; perfectly illustrates the depth and magnitude of Walt Disney's imagination, genius, and penchant for taking bold, daring risks in the emerging field of animation in his hey day.

As for my favorite sequences, I'm split.  I voted Toccata and Fugue for the original, mostly because I'm a sucker for Bach, but it's a close one between that and the closing Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria sequence.

Fantasia 2000 wasn't quite as hard; favorite sequence is no doubt Pines of Rome, which has some breathtaking animation set to a spectacular score, and is also one of the more imaginative sequences of the film.

Edited by Batbrony

What about an option for those who only saw one or the other?  I haven't seen Fantasia 2000, but I;d like to vote on my favorite scene from the original. 

Anyway, I was torn between Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach, and Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky.  I prefer the music of Bach, but the viusals of Night on Bald Mountain were so striking I can hardly believe it was made over 70 years ago.

I think "segment" would be a better term to use than "scene" when we're talking about parts of Fantasia.

I see I'm not the only one who had to pick between the first and last sequences of Fantasia, although I opted for the Toccata, in part because Night on Bald Mountain scared me as a child but more importantly the use of the colors with sounds really intrigued me.

It was little problem for me to choose my favorite Fantasia 2000 segment (Rhapsody in Blue), since the animation and action of the segment clearly captured the essence of the performance and composition.

Edited by JustFairness

• 4 years later...

As far as the first one goes. I like all of it. 

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor was interesting.

The Nutcracker Suite was pretty memorable to me.

I've always considered Sorcerer's Apprentice my favorite for a long time.

The Rite of Spring is more interesting to me now than when I was a child.

I also enjoyed the Pastoral Symphony quite a bit myself. And when watching it now, do you ever get the feeling that with all the pegasi and unicorns, this could have been the original MLP before it was even MLP.

The Dance of the Hours is my sisters' favorite. Nopony else brings this up, but I always got the impression that the alligators were like vampires. 

A Night on Bald Mountain was nightmare fuel. Nuff said.

Massive Disney and music fan here.

Hands down its the Pastoral Symphony for me. Greek mythology and PEGASI!!!!!!! So MUCH PEGASUS! And this is before the brony fandom btw. Ive always had a fascination of the pegasus mythos, plus its our family mascot is a pegasus as we sail the type of racing yachts. So seieng the pegasi on the water in the film was always amazing!

I went with the Nutcracker Suite from the original (cuz Tchaikovsky), even though Bald Mountain is such a powerful piece. They're a really close match-up; it's like beauty vs the beast in a way.

As for Fantasia 2000, I liked Donald and Daisy in Noah's Ark. They were so fun to see in that setting. But I give close second place to the Firebird Suite. I loved the characters so much I just wanted to know more about them. I could watch a whole movie just about those two.

Edited by Dreambiscuit