Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Spike so neglected?

Yes-Man

MLP (in its current state) is a show where the characters do not age (unless they have a birthday). Spike is still young he is a baby dragon. I feel like he was used and the fact of the matter is there are probably a few more dragons just like him. If the entry exam into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns is to hatch a dragon egg then this is very likely. Dragon Quest i will say i did enjoy but it did not turn out the way i wanted it to. Spike growing up around ponies his whole (young short) life he doesn't know what being a Dragon means. I don't take it as he is the least developed because there is enormous potential for Spike considering he is technically still a baby. Applejack is actually probably one of the most developed characters on the show. The common reasoning behind that is because we don't know about Applejack's parents. And that the Apple Family Reunion had a scene with shooting stars hinting at they were dead. My problem with accepting this is simply Apple Bloom's existence. She is still a filly so its not like they have been gone for a very long time.  It would be difficult to automatically assume Big Macintosh and Applejack never knew their parents. Lauren Faust said that Applejack's parents were not planned and that the show is unlikely say they have passed away. Which to me means that its just open for the shows writers (hopefully without Hasbro interference) will be able to write it in to the show cleverly. Back to Spike i think that he is ment to appeal to the shows target demographic more because of his sillyness. His position as Twilight's secretary provided a link back to Canterlot. As far as his past, i would imagine it is extremely difficult if not impossible to track down where an egg came from. In my opinion Spike's character development can go either way now that we have "Princess Twilight". Now that Twilight no longer reports her findings to Celestia, what does that mean for Spike? I think he will remain as Twilight's assistant but his role will be significantly different. How exactly I cannot be sure. I think they have done ok with him. His crush on Rarity for example being finally recognized by her is a major step forward. She used to pretend she didn't know or simply didn't care. I only see positive things for Spike in the future.

tl;dr and I already know I love you.

Yep he's under developed and pathetic. But then again he goes by a code, and he WAS hatched by twilight. Technically he could see twilight as his mother, and thus his worst fear would actually be being left as a child.

MLP (in its current state) is a show where the characters do not age (unless they have a birthday). Spike is still young he is a baby dragon.

Dragons grow with greed. Twilight is keeping Spike from exactly that. So its safe to assume he will be a baby dragon... well... forever.

Other than the small growth from being a 'baby' dragon to a toddler dragon, i don't think he will grow any more without greed.

I'm guessing that new born dragons grow enough to the point where they can understand things, and then they help themselves to some greed.

Because if he was just a tiny senseless baby dragon, he wouldn't know 'how to greed' and grow.

Dragons grow with greed. Twilight is keeping Spike from exactly that. So its safe to assume he will be a baby dragon... well... forever.

Other than the small growth from being a 'baby' dragon to a toddler dragon, i don't think he will grow any more without greed.

I'm guessing that new born dragons grow enough to the point where they can understand things, and then they help themselves to some greed.

Because if he was just a tiny senseless baby dragon, he wouldn't know 'how to greed' and grow.

I think Spike is content with it actually. His experience being greedy caused him to hurt the one he cared about and it didn't look like he was too fond of the "proper" dragons anyway.

Well Spike has had some bad episodes. But, Spike is known as an underdeveloped character. He has potential, it's just that if Twilight sends Spike away, he would not survive on his own.

One thing I would like to say is that Spike's backstory is that he's been with Twi forever. She hatched him herself.

Other then that, completely agree.

Oh look, a thread where everyone decides to lynch beat a character by murdering everything about said character. Don't we had enough of these already?

And honestly, his episodes aren't THAT bad. They're roughly on par with an episode of Spongebob.

I can now also see why Friendship is Witchcraft treats Spike the way they do.

tumblr_mhb5932M8v1s415ayo1_500.gif

Didn't Spike get like two episodes to himself this season? I know he got at least three where he was the center of attention. In Spike at Your Service he learned to take his dragon code a bit less seriously, and in the pet one he learned to take responsibility for his actions. 

Not to mention the time he saved the Crystal Empire.

• Brohoof 2

I think Spike is content with it actually. His experience being greedy caused him to hurt the one he cared about and it didn't look like he was too fond of the "proper" dragons anyway.

They were teenage dragons. Which we all know, almost every teenage 'anything' is terrible. He wouldn't have had that experience if he was raised as a real dragon.

• Brohoof 1

it seems we have come to a disagreement.

Spike has a decent amount of Development as a character, and has a fairly defined personality.

Thinking of him as the Servant of Twilight is a bit..... idk..... not right.

It more along the lines of Spike is a little brother to Twilight.

Basic Personality traits:

He is childish.

This is apparent in his B-day episode primarily.

He is in general freindly, but can be skittish at times.

Although not greedy in spirit, he shows signs of his Species greedy traits multiple times.

Hes much younger than most other characters in the series so it is kind of unfair to say he has No development.

Give him time. Im pretty sure he will become more defined in the future.

Edited by ResistenceXD0001
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think I would go so far as to say that Spike is Twilight's slave. I know the show likes to use the word assistant. But you have a point, in that the relationship between Spike and Twilight really isn't explored enough in the series. We got tantalizingly little from Owl's Well That Ends Well, though that was a step in the right direction.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I would go so far as to say that Spike is Twilight's slave. I know the show likes to use the word assistant. But you have a point, in that the relationship between Spike and Twilight really isn't explored enough in the series. We got tantalizingly little from Owl's Well That Ends Well, though that was a step in the right direction.

True enough..... I just hope they dont ever get into a romance or anything like that..... AWKWARD..... Twilight just dosent seem like Spikes type :)

True enough..... I just hope they dont ever get into a romance or anything like that..... AWKWARD..... Twilight just dosent seem like Spikes type :)

Oh God, I certainly hope not. Their characters don't even leave that kind of development open for possibility. That would be the moment I jump ship.

Excuse the pun.

i never really thought about that until now.I don't really think that the spike episodes were bad,but i do agree on the fact that spike does'nt have any history

Spike does have friends,the episode dragonquest proves that twilight,rarity,and rainbowdash are true friends.

And me i would'nt call him a background character.

Oh God, I certainly hope not. Their characters don't even leave that kind of development open for possibility. That would be the moment I jump ship.

Excuse the pun.

just imagine what their KIDS would be like...... Could you imagine how messed up Dragicorn babies would be like?!?!

i never really thought about that until now.I don't really think that the spike episodes were bad,but i do agree on the fact that spike does'nt have any history

Spike does have friends,the episode dragonquest proves that twilight,rarity,and rainbowdash are true friends.

And me i would'nt call him a background character.

You be right. He is a Main Supporting character, and has an integral part in the storyline.

• Brohoof 4

I like Spike and all, but this is the truth..

Your topic, 'Spike is the most underused character' has been merged with 'Why is Spike so negelcted?'. Your post/topic works great as a precise analyzation of how Spike is neglected, and is discussing the same topic.

Spike is that type of background main you going to

like or hate or he sort of grows on you as the show goes on.

Yes,  there is a lot they can do with him in idea and plots which

the writers have done on and off and he tends to also be

the comic relief at times in the show.  Still he does try his

best in the good moments.    Spike is also

one of those cannons that leaves a wide area for fanfic writers

to have fun with!