Will Twilight's transition to alicorn princess be permanent?

Commander_PonyShep

380 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilight's princesshood be temporary or permanent?

• Temporary
    • Permanent

Where did she say that?

I've been following multiple sources trying to find out as much information as possible but I wasn't able to find any piece of information which would deny or confirm that it's permanent.

The MLP:FIM crew had every opportunity to tell it which would reassure Twilicorn supporters and would bring a closure for these who don't like Twilicorn. Instead they they prefer to keep it a mystery and answer questions dodging the main questions. "Twilight will not outlive her friends" doesn't answer whether or not she is immortal. For example, the whole mane six might become immoral or they might bring back Twilight. The only thing which is safe to say is "writers want to surprise us".

In the Egg Quest Be A Girls trailer she had wings, so we can preeeetty much safely assume that she isn't going to be 'blah blah unicorn again' anytime soon. mellow.png

For the first I got a solid indication that Twilicorn is permanent.

It appears writers are going to downplay the significance of the coronation in MMC rendering it pointless with the only purpose to push new toys. There's not going to be a lot of Twilicorn focused episodes.

Hmmm... That's kind of what I was afraid of. Just slapping some wings on her and calling it a day really would hit home the 'Hasbro merch' feeling. I may not like the idea of Twilicorn, but I'd much rather the writers go wild with it and give us stories that they couldn't have done before. If everything's the same except she has wings now, that's not exactly going to convince people that this decision was worth defending. I'd have preferred it if Larson's response was: "You will understand why we made this change once season 4 hits. We've got tons of awesome new storylines that just wouldn't have been possible before, so prepare to be surprised and amazed."

It seems counter-intuitive to argue in Twilicorn's favor because it shows meaningful progression and brave character development, only to then argue in its favor for keeping everything the same. I've seen too much of that over the past few months...

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless what the specific intentions of the writers are to use or not use Twilicorn, it would appear that it's a permanent change, at this point. This is what I'm continuing to see from people's sources, and it's all of what I've heard for a month or two, now. As the question has more or less been immediately answered, I think that's enough to warrant this topic's unpinning. I won't be locking it yet though, as I don't believe there's been any primary source material of someone actually outright stating that it's permanent, just some secondary sources that give weak to strong indications of such.

When and if anyone finds such a thing, feel free to post it here so this discussion can be concluded :3

(edited)

It's debatable. But I think she'll keep her new powers and carry on learning whatever else there is to be learned , living in Ponyville. Maybe the Golden Oaks Library turns into her castle?

as for the rest of the mane 6

Rainbow Dash: I htink she'll have finished the Wonder Bolt academy and become a full on double rainbow Wonderbolt...The Wonderbotls are like the Blue Angels in Real Life stunt performers and all around highly trained pilots....it's not a full time job...they get hired for events and such.

Fluttershy: Well, I odn't know....the critters in Canterlot hated her, so I doubt she'd want to move to Canterlot. Also with the Ponyville critters knowing her so well, she'll more then likely continue what she's doing.

Applejack: Well, the Apple Farm is a big part of her life....so I don't see her going anywhere. Other then MAYBE moving to Apploosa...but I"m highly doubtful of that.

Rarity: Well she LOVES Canterlot, and she's already got a high reputation there, but no REAL friends other then I think Fancy Pants. The rest were just stereotypical rich people (Stuck up snobby etc.). So She just may have connections out in Canterlot to sell her dresses too, instead of moving out there. Maybe she'll visit once in a while to see how things are going.

Pinkie Pie: Well Ponyville still needs a party planner and such. and from my above suggestions of everypony staying in Ponyville, she'll stay as well. Canterlot didn't like her parties that much because again they were stuck up and snobby

and Spike will still be by Twi's side the whole time..

Edited by Flutter Dash

I can see it going both ways, although I'm leaning towards the wings being permanent.  Either way though, I honestly don't see things changing all that much in terms of Twilight's everyday life, at least with the way the show is set up.  The only difference IMHO is that Twilight's magic has essentially powered-up.

I personally think Twilight becoming an Alicorn Princess was a bold step for the series to take and I think that from it more diverse, fresh storylines can be created, whilst still retaining all the charm and fun that made me fall in love with the show in the first place. :) 

(edited)

I think the Twilicorn change is intended to be permanent, and was from the very beginning. Twilight has always been Celestia's disciple, from S1E1. What else would she be personally training Twilight for? Consider the symbolism: Sun, Moon, and Stars. A princess to rule the day, a Princess to rule the night, and one to rule...the twilight. It was she who brought about the reconciliation between Celestia and Luna (day and night), because that's what twilight does. In mythic terms, Twilight is the Logos, the Harmonizing Proportion/Ratio/Rationality that integrates the Apollonian/conscious (Celestia) and Dionysian/subconscious (Luna) elements of the psyche. She is the High Priestess between the Light and Dark Pillars, the Charioteer who reconciles the Light and Dark Horses, etc., etc.. So, no, I don't think Twilicorn is going anywhere.

I think they could easily spend S4 dealing with Twilight's struggles around becoming a princess. Each of her relationships would be tested:

Rarity: Now that Princess Twilight will always be the belle of the ball whenever they're together, will Rarity be jealous? Or will she be faced with temptations to arrogance as everypony who's anypony wants to associate with her so they can get to Her Royal Highness (HRH) Twilight--and then, to sadness or jealousy when she realizes none of her new high-class friends care about her, except as a way to get into Princess Twilight's limelight.

Rainbow Dash: The teaching-to-fly story arc (RD will have to learn patience before she can become a good teacher), then dealing with the fact that HRH Twilight is always the star of the show whenever they're together.

Applejack: A story or few could probably be written about trying to reconcile Applejack's down-on-the-farm life and attitude with HRH Twilight's life centered on national and even cosmic concerns. Not to mention "rednecks vs. aristocracy."

Fluttershy: Being a part of HRH Twilight's life of national fame would be terrifying for Fluttershy, so Twilight's princess status could definitely threaten to tear them apart.

Pinkie Pie: Pinkie Pie probably wouldn't be bothered by Twilight's change of status, except to be excited for her. However, her randomness and over-the-top "Child with a sugar-rush on crack and Red Bull with a chaser of LSD" attitude could cause problems for HRH Twilight as she tries to be "grown up," "responsible," "regal," etc.. "Welcome to Equestria, Ambassador. I would like to thank you for being a party to these talks--" *boing* "Did somepony say PARTY?!" *Pinkie fires off Party Cannon, drenching tense peace talks in confetti and balloons* "Then why isn't anypony DANCING?! Or eating cake or pie or cupcakesandmuffinsandplayingpinthetailonthe--"

Spike: Spike has always been Twilight's loyal sidekick and assistant. How will he feel when Twilight has guards and servants, and everypony else is bowing and wanting to attend to her every need? He had a hard enough time dealing with the owl...

Celestia: Twilight will be spending a lot more time with Celestia now, presumably. Even when she still lived in Canterlot, Twilight interacted with Celestia mainly through letters, as far as we can tell from the first episode. As a princess, she will be interacting directly with her on a much more regular basis, even spending extended amounts of time at the castle. Twilight has learned all those lessons about friendship, but how much does Celestia really know about it? She experiences it only vicariously, through Twilight's letters. Whenever we see her receiving Twilight's messages, she is always regally alone. Even when she's interacting with the Mane Six, we never really see her just having a good time. She is a kind and friendly person, but her role as princess and Sun Goddess makes it hard for anypony to truly be her friend, and vice versa. So there can be episodes where Twilight becomes her first real friend (likewise for Luna). On the other hand, Twilight will have to face the threat of the other princesses' isolation becoming her own (in conjunction with some of the other story-line possibilities above). If the Mane Six are torn apart, the Elements won't work anymore, as Discord demonstrated.

Luna: See above. Also, perhaps Twilight can help with the sisters' relationship. The whole "You trapped me in the Moon for a thousand years, and didn't care about me until I broke out on my own" thing can't completely go away, just like that.

A Possible Solution: I don't think it would be good to de-alicornize Twilight. The toothpaste is out of the tube, and trying to get it back in will only make a mess. But... "Twilight" is inherently a state of transition, from day to night, or vice versa. Perhaps Twilight can discover that transformation is the metaphysical core of her nature as Goddess of the Morning and Evening Stars (i.e., the first/last "sparkle" of stars during twilight), and with that knowledge, turn herself from alicorn to unicorn and back at will. So she can live as Twilight Sparkle, Wizard and Librarian of Ponyville in her unicorn form, and Princess Twilight in her alicorn form when she's needed in Canterlot.

Edited by InvisiblePinkUnicorn
  • Brohoof 1

I for one did not like this cause its kind of like well she's a princess now, is she going to have time for her friends? well lol I HOPE SO, anyway it was kind of a cool thing to see her be come a princess, sure but at the end of the day are things going to stay the same? and I know that someone here had said she is more then likely not going to stay as a princess but sacrifice it for her friends which I kind of hope she does so she can still be good old twilight that we all have come to know and well LOVE to death, lets face it all, she is really cute and the way she loses her mind in season 2 episode 3: Lesson zero, oh my I roll on the fool every time I see that one anyway my vote is temporary.

(edited)

Well to be  honest twilight as an alicorn is pretty cool 

but i dont think she will stay alicorn for long or whatever what if in one episode in season 4 twilight is trying to do all this alicorn stuff but cant do it and she downgrades to unicorn again.and she isnt ready yet

Edited by Polo Hipolito
  • Brohoof 1

i do hope she still keeps her wings, she looks great with them, and i do hope whatever is causing all of this evil in their world dies down, i hope we have more reformed villans and more history about equestria,  who knows maybe celestia and luna's father could be  the one behind the evil, and maybe starswirl is alive

Really folks, this is beyond a coin toss at the moment. In the foreseeable future, and by that I mean only up to Season 4, yes its more than probable that Twilight will maintain her alicorn status. Beyond that we don't know what may or may not happen including Twilight's status.

The only thing we can remotely rely upon is the lines from Meghan McCarthy, "Twilight will not outlive her friends," which can mean a whole variety of things. Maybe all of the Mane 6 will die (unlikely but possible) or perhaps they all become immortal, though not necessarily via becoming alicorns.

Right now I'd simply focus on how Twilight's new status affects the Mane 6 and her life and those around her, including future adventures. Alicorn means a lot of things, but it does not necessarily mean uber overpowered god, let alone omnipotent. Cadence proves that point quite well and Celestia and Luna have both shown their share of flaws, goddesses as they may be.

The sooner folks realize that alicorn Twilight while a significant change, is still not the end of Equestria as we know it, the sooner we can actually look forward to other promising prospects and potential the future of the show can hold. This brony conflict over Alicorn Twilight sometimes looks like its turning into a religious crusade. 

Honestly now...huh.png

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Twilight's Alicorn state. And I wouldn't mind it being permanent, actually. :) 

She's a princess and has many new responsibilities now. I think that it'll start affecting her friendships with everypony. 

(edited)

Who would even think that Twilicorn is permanent?! Like, come on, who do you expect would be a princess for, I don't know, a couple months? Then just kind of... POOF... they're off the radar like that?! How does that work!? HOW!? Its improper pony economy!

~Tri-Dart

post-17346-0-77221700-1372511918_thumb.png       

Edited by Tri-Dart

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will probably be permanent since I cant think of how she would lose her wings (but I think some people were saying that she would maybe give them up to help her friends and I think that could happen). I feel that her being an alicorn is really going to seperate everyone. They were all pretty equal before and now they wont be able to have the same relationship as friends because Twilight is a new pony and an alicorn. If she is to keep being an alicorn I think there would be a lot of jealousy within the other 5. Not sure. So I guess in the end I think it would make more sense for it to be permanent because why would she being changing back and forth, but on the other hand it will most likely be temporary.

Here's an idea I'd like to address;

what if Twilight being an Alicorn is permenant, yet her being a princess isn't?

I actually think the dev team is somewhat hinting on that, they already plan on portraying her being a Princess in a rather paltry way (her still being with her friends, her not outliving them, and apparently is still gonna live in Ponyville)

Also, I'd you you all to take a look at this hot minute video:

We only see her in royal attire for the first few seconds when the video showed footage of the last few seconds of 'Magical Mystery Cure' (compared to Celestia Luna and Candance, who saw wearing royal accessories almost all the time), and her being a Princess is mostly just glanced over even by her throughout the entire hot minute, she doesn't even really directly call herself a princess.

In fact much of what we already know seems to suggest that Twilight's status as a Princess is gonna be mostly glanced over or downplayed, it might even fall to a point where we could almost forget she ever became one.

So I think if nothing else, Twilight will stay an Alicorn throughout the show, but she might eventually toss aside her princess status, and if so, could be any number of reasons.

In my opinion, they need to find a very creative and plot friendly way to change her back at some point in the next few seasons.  I like the idea offered my the OP.

The answer is pretty obvious at this point, especially after seeing Equestria Girls, (Canon or not.) but the change pretty much is permanent.

I honestly could not think of any reasoning for Celestia to "undo" Twilight's wings after the big revelation in Magical Mystery Cure. Even if the change was confirmed to be temporary, I couldn't see one way changing Twilight back would make any sense to the story. There probably could be excuses like "It was a dream" or "That was a different time" but that'd be ridiculous.

The answer is pretty obvious at this point, especially after seeing Equestria Girls, (Canon or not.) but the change pretty much is permanent.

I honestly could not think of any reasoning for Celestia to "undo" Twilight's wings after the big revelation in Magical Mystery Cure. Even if the change was confirmed to be temporary, I couldn't see one way changing Twilight back would make any sense to the story. There probably could be excuses like "It was a dream" or "That was a different time" but that'd be ridiculous.

This

And and to mention it would be quite an overused reason for something like that to happen. Honestly, I say it is more than likely going to be permanent unless Twilight goes all power mad and ends up losing her Alicorn-hood (and maybe her friends...)because of it but let's face it, that too would more than likely be overused as well...

Oh well...

I guess we'll just have to wait to find out :P

I would be very disappointed if she got changed back somehow.  One of the things I've always hated about sitcoms is the way that, no matter what happens in the episode, everything always returns to the status quo ante.  The characters never grow or change, and they spend their lives trapped in that living room set with a laugh track.  If one of them wins the lottery or gets the dream job they've always hoped for or whatever, you already know that it's going to be reversed before the hour is over, and they'll end up right back where they started.

I think it's very cool that MLP incorporates growth and change instead of hitting the Groundhog Day reset button at the end of every episode.  The characters actually learn things, and apply their lessons to their lives.  Things that happened in the past have effects in the present and future.  They have lives instead of ephemeral events that disappear into endless repetition of the same "situation."  I think it would be much better, story-wise, if Twilight and her friends have to live with her Alicorn transformation and its effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, assuming those numbers in the bottom right corner of the screen of the MLP Season 4 sneak peek stand for production codes, I think we can officially rule out the season premiere ending with Twilight becoming a unicorn again.

Well, assuming those numbers in the bottom right corner of the screen of the MLP Season 4 sneak peek stand for production codes, I think we can officially rule out the season premiere ending with Twilight becoming a unicorn again.

How can you tell that from the production codes?

Anyway, I think oddly enough there might be one very easy way we can tell how permenent Twilight's status as Alicorn and/or Princess will be just by waiting for the fourth season intro.

If we get to watch season 4 and we see Twilight doesn't have wings in the intro, it can tell us she'll somehow lose her status eventually.

At first I was hoping it would be temporary. But now I kind of hope it's permanant, I think it will be. This an advancment to the next level for Twilight and it would be really cheap if they took it away from her and made her lose her wings.

I'm seriously on the fence and could go either way. On one hoof, there's the obvious fact that Twilight as an Alicorn definitely puts her in a social status above her friends in terms of the show canon, but on the other hoof, there's a lot of great lessons to learn because of this fact. 

How can you tell that from the production codes?

Anyway, I think oddly enough there might be one very easy way we can tell how permenent Twilight's status as Alicorn and/or Princess will be just by waiting for the fourth season intro.

If we get to watch season 4 and we see Twilight doesn't have wings in the intro, it can tell us she'll somehow lose her status eventually.

Unlike most shows I've seen, MLP has aired most of its episodes in the order they were made; it's always a three-digit number, the first digit representing the season and the other two representing the episode.

Scootaloo clip - 405

Superhero clip - 406

Apple family clip - 409

Nightmare Moon clip - 401

It will be permanent. It would be stupid and useless for the writers to give in to Twilicorn haters and shed poor Twiley's wings, not to mention cheesy. Everyone who bought the Twilicorn toy would feel deceived, cheated, and disappointed that alicorn Twilight didn't last very long.

Can't imagine why they'd strip Twiley of her rank as princess and her wings.