Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

That's BS: Twilight can fly with no training from flight school/camp

poniesforfun

Another sign of how the finale was rushed and the writers are just not giving a damn anymore. How is it that Twilight knew how to fly instantly she got her wings while born Pegasus like Rainbow Dash was kicked out of flight school and Fluttershy became a poor flier. In the ending she just flew around like she did a loop around like she was doing it all her life then announced "Everything is going to be alright." Let's just cut that part out maybe?

Sure she's a fast learner but there is years of muscle memory to be learned. At this point Twilight should known much about flying as Scootaloo. Don't tell me she's hooked to the Matrix now.

• Brohoof 13

She's an egghead.

Is that a sufficient answer?

Not to say it doesn't feel out of place, but it seems valid and it's very likely.

Let's not forget that Twilight can learn spells in a single day. (she figured out a time travel spell in seconds)

Given the likeliness that she has probably read about flying and how flight works with pegasi wings, that could be a reason.

I agree that experience is usually a better teacher, but it's not impossible to learn something practical through theory.

Edited by Sunset Spark

How is it that Twilight knew how to fly instantly she got her wings while born Pegasus like Rainbow Dash was kicked out of flight school and Fluttershy became a poor flier.

I haven't gotten the time to watch the finale yet, but that's exactly what I feared. I have no problem with the whole alicorn thing as a concept, but they could've put more effort into ironing out details.

Yes, the finale was indeed rushed and there were spots that were unexplained. Of course the writers easily make mistakes, and one or two is inevitable but it honestly wouldn't have been hard to make Twilight try to fly than say "I'm not used to flying, maybe it needs a little bit of practice, how about you help me Rainbow Dash" or something along those lines.

• Brohoof 2

Settle down Bronies! This whole "Oh My God, something is different! I'll hate the show now!" attitude is getting a little silly and out of control. Why not wait for season four to actually start before you all flip out? Besides, how do you know that flight ability doesn't automatically come as a bonus when you ascend to being an Alicorn? It's probably a bundle package! 

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 23

I'd say Twilight has read a LOT of books about flying just for fun (Its the kind of thing she does) so she'd probably know the techniques. 

Still I do think her learning to fly would've made a cool episode for season 4. (Like having bother her and Scootaloo learning from Rainbow)

• Brohoof 3

Let's not forget that Twilight can learn spells in a single day.

(she figured out a time travel spell in seconds) Given the likeliness that she has probably read about flying and how flight works with pegasi wings, that could be a reason.

I agree that experience is usually a better teacher, but it's not impossible to learn something practical through theory.

Well there's a clear-cut difference between something that may take some ponies a few days to learn and something that takes an entire species (if real life is an accurate analogue then replace that with "all flying species",) multiple years to master, starting at birth, the period of your life where you're most likely to easily learn new things.

If you want another comparison, It's like a maths genius learning an entire new foreign language in the blink of an eye.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight magically turned into a freaking alicorn and we're complaining about her flying a bit? Priorities, people.

I don't have a problem with her flying but I don't want her to be super speedy or agile. She should be a mediocre flyer at best... I'd be pissed if she could outfly Rainbow Dash.

• Brohoof 5

Twilight can fly without training from flight school/camp is because, she has the alicorn wings. Basically Celestia,Luna, and Cadence did not have to go to flight school. Let's not complain yet until, we see Season 4. If she is able to outfly Rainbow Dash, which I know she won't we can complain then.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight magically turned into a freaking alicorn and we're complaining about her flying a bit? Priorities, people.

I don't have a problem with her flying but I don't want her to be super speedy or agile. She should be a mediocre flyer at best... I'd be pissed if she could outfly Rainbow Dash.

I like the idea of our adorkable princess being struck with sheer terror when Rainbow jokingly says she's going to teach Twilight how to do a Sonic Rainboom! That would make for a fun episode! It would be the equivalant of an X-Game bike champ trying to teach stunts to someone who just rides her bike to the library once a week!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

Well, due to the fact that we've never seen an alicorn fly (except Luna in The Best Night Ever, but that doesn't count) I'd say that they're pretty crap at flying. I mean, look at Celestia. She's twice as big as any other pony. It'd be total BS if Twi even knew how to fly without falling, let alone fly as fast as Dashie (or even Fluttershy in Hurricane Fluttershy)

And no, Cadance didn't fly in Crystal Empire, she was thrown.

• Brohoof 1

Settle down Bronies! This whole "Oh My God, something is different! I'll hate the show now!" attitude is getting a little silly and out of control. Why not wait for season four to actually start before you all flip out?

Okay, did I miss something? When did questioning the lack of explanations/logic in the show turn into hating the show? When did it turn into a crime to expect professional, paid writers to do quality writing?
  • Brohoof 8

Who said she's an expert flyer already? For all we know the finale ends with her flying at the camera saying "everything is going to be just fine" and season four starts immediately after with her crashing into the side of the mountain.

It could happen.

• Brohoof 10

She has fully developed adult wings, and she's smart enough to understand the mechanics of flight.  I think flying in a straight line like she did wouldn't be beyond her, but anything more advanced needs to be taught. If they don't show it within the first 5 episodes of season 4, I think its safe to assume she got taught sometime in between.

• Brohoof 1

She's an egghead.

Is that a sufficient answer?

Not to say it doesn't feel out of place, but it seems valid and it's very likely.

Let's not forget that Twilight can learn spells in a single day. (she figured out a time travel spell in seconds)

Given the likeliness that she has probably read about flying and how flight works with pegasi wings, that could be a reason.

That would be incredibly lazy writing if that was their explanation but then again the finale was built upon lazy writing so that can't be much worse. I think a better explanation would be that alicorns flight abilities could be enhanced through magic which would actually make perfect sense with that said though I don't think learning to fly is something you can learn from a book. Since Twilight is not used to having wings flying might feel slightly awkward or at least it should unless the magic explanation holds true. So long as Twilight dosen't learn to fly as well as Rainbow Dash in 2 seconds I don't think it will affect all that much, beside I would like to see an episode or two where Rainbow Dash teaches her to fly I mean who better than the only pegasus revealed who can perform a sonic rainboom?

• Brohoof 4

Well, due to the fact that we've never seen an alicorn fly (except Luna in The Best Night Ever, but that doesn't count) I'd say that they're pretty crap at flying. I mean, look at Celestia. She's twice as big as any other pony. It'd be total BS if Twi even knew how to fly without falling, let alone fly as fast as Dashie (or even Fluttershy in Hurricane Fluttershy)

And no, Cadance didn't fly in Crystal Empire, she was thrown.

img-1190367-1-177311%20-%20animated%20Bi

Explain this with your science, then.

Seriously though, we've seen Celestia, Cadance and Luna fly several times. Celestia picked up one of Twilight's letters in person, Cadance had to fly with Twilight to escape the catacombs in A Canterlot Wedding, Luna flew in Scootaloo's dream, etc.

img-1190367-2-Celestia_flying_away_S1E15

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 4

Okay, did I miss something? When did questioning the lack of explanations/logic in the show turn into hating the show? When did it turn into a crime to expect professional, paid writers to do quality writing?

Did I miss something? When did anyone ever expect logic and explanations in a cartoon? Besides, I didn't mean just this thread, or even this site. There are so many Bronies flipping out, declaring they won't watch the show now that Hasbro has done this hideous terrible thing to them! They're ranting over how it was just done to sell toys. Here's a pro-tip. MLP:FIM exists only to sell toys! It's the only reason the series was created!

LOL!

• Brohoof 2

177311%20-%20animated%20Bizarro_Celestia

Explain this with your science, then.

Seriously though, we've seen Celestia fly several times. She even picked up one of Twilight's letters in person.

Celestia_flying_away_S1E15.png

SHIT, I FERGAT

Oh well. But still, Tia is like 2000 years old. (assuming she was 1000 when Luna was banished)

...and Twilie has only been an alicorn for...umm... let me see... 3 days.

TAKE THAT. SCIENCE IS MAGIC.

SHIT, I FERGAT Oh well. But still, Tia is like 2000 years old. (assuming she was 1000 when Luna was banished) ...and Twilie has only been an alicorn for...umm... let me see... 3 days. TAKE THAT. SCIENCE IS MAGIC.

post-9453-0-01868200-1361298460_thumb.png

LOL Cadance is completely drained and exhausted, yet able to escape the caverns carrying Twilight.

Alicorns have bigger wings, which I assume make it easier to fly. They just can't go as fast. :)

Flight school is for like safety and stuff, learning how to land properly, situational awareness. Kind of like Driver's Ed. I mean, most people can drive a car even if they don't know how to.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 2

Was I the only one who expected Twilight to crash into the camera right there at the end?  It would've been completely appropriate for her, and I think it would've done a lot more to assure us 'everything was going to be alright' than the words themselves.  ;)

• Brohoof 2

Outside the fact that it hinders the chances of having a cute and or funny episode in S4 where Dashie teaches Twi to fly, I didn't find that this bugged me very much.

• Brohoof 4

When did anyone ever expect logic and explanations in a cartoon?

Here's a little something to keep in mind Honeypops, as much as you may not like to hear this, even cartoons have their own established rules, and MLP is no exception. The very fact that Ponyville doesn't just rise up from the ground and into space is proof enough that I can expect a certain degree of physics, likewise, the fact that there is an establishment called a "flight school" makes it perfectly within reason for us to question why someone who isn't an inherent flier did not need to go there to learn how to fly. After all, it's not like the writers have given us any rhyme or reason.

Besides, I didn't mean just this thread, or even this site. There are so many Bronies flipping out, declaring they won't watch the show now that Hasbro has done this hideous terrible thing to them!

Please tell me when and how anyone in this topic said, or even just implied this? As I said, questioning a lack of logic does not make an automatic hater. Please dig deep into your memories and remember the prime of this series' popularity, I assure you that even then topics like this one were around with many people agreeing to what the topic described. People can actually like something and point out its flaws you know.

They're ranting over how it was just done to sell toys. Here's a pro-tip. MLP:FIM exists only to sell toys! It's the only reason the series was created!

If this is directed at me, please take a deep breath and calm down miss, I'm fully aware of this and (to my knowledge) have never stated the opposite.

• Brohoof 2

Did I miss something? When did anyone ever expect logic and explanations in a cartoon? Besides, I didn't mean just this thread, or even this site. There are so many Bronies flipping out, declaring they won't watch the show now that Hasbro has done this hideous terrible thing to them! They're ranting over how it was just done to sell toys. Here's a pro-tip. MLP:FIM exists only to sell toys! It's the only reason the series was created!

LOL!

Just because a show is a cartoon does not give it an excuse to have lazy writing, give children a little more credit than that seriously. Entertainment in general may have gone down hill but I think adult entertainment went further downhill faster than childrens entertainment. And yes I agree that the declarations of no longer watching the show are taking it a tad too far as we still haven't seen if this is really going to work or not but that dosen't represent the opinions of everyone opposed to twilicorn including yours truly. And yes I am fully aware that the show was made to sell toys and am fine with that so long as the show retains its quality. Hasbro has until now let the writers do their jobs to bring us a truly great show but I think much more of the season finales problems can be blamed on Hasbro than on the writers because Hasbro of course does have the final say.

• Brohoof 3

LOL!

I think that expecting solid, consistent writing from a show that has exhibited solid, consistent writing in the past isn't asking for a lot.

I have to wonder why you take such strong issue about the opinions of others on this particular subject.

• Brohoof 4