Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

That's BS: Twilight can fly with no training from flight school/camp

poniesforfun

The same can be said for Rarity flying during the Sonic Rainboom episode. The episode was rushed because of a time frame that they had to commit to. People keep forgetting we are not the target audiance. Bronies, myself included, tend to read too much into an episode. This finale was written back in 2011, before the brony craze really shot the gun and got everywhere really really quickly. So why didn't it feel like previous finales? Because it was written for the target audience, not us. Besides the lesson is what counts, which I feel the brony community is stating to not give a damn about. If its not full of great exposition than an episode is automatically deemed sucky, according to what I've seen from bronies on here. Just because she was able to fly with no training doesn't mean the writers have stopped caring. It would be different if at the start of the episode she had the coronation and that was it. Than I would understand what you were saying, but they gave us a story with songs that helped tell it and that show they do care, but only had 22 minutes to put it together. Kind of hard to make her an Alicorn smoothly with only 22 minutes worth of airtime.

• Brohoof 2

Except Rarity's wings let her merely hover. She didn't do any special tricks except for fly up to the sun and shine down. Twilicorn was doing loops around before announcing "Everything is going to be just fine." Fluttershy has been a pegasus her whole life yet she sucks compared to Twilight in flying.

Except Rarity's wings let her merely hover. She didn't do any special tricks except for fly up to the sun and shine down. Twilicorn was doing loops around before announcing "Everything is going to be just fine." Fluttershy has been a pegasus her whole life yet she sucks compared to Twilight in flying.

Well like others are saying here, Twilight is a very quick learner. The coronation probably took a week to put together and in that time, RD could have been teaching Twilight the basics, and she could have learned more from reading and practicing.

Scootoloo is handicapped. Her friends are actually making fun of her disability when they call her flightless bird names. She will never be able to fly on her own. :(

Fluttershy has been a pegasus her whole life yet she sucks compared to Twilight in flying.

post-9453-0-86980300-1361506055_thumb.png

is coming for you.

155477%20-%20animated%20fluttershy%20pos

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 2

This won't happen, but it would solve the problem and be funny.

"Everything is going to be fine!"

*Fly into camera*

*End of Season 3*

*Beginning of Season 4*

*Flying into camera*

*CRASH*

*Death*

*RD teaches Twily to fly*

Edited by Bloo47

I have this idea that, as Meghan McCarthy mentioned that the last episode is basically the first part of a three parter, At the very beginning of the first episode of season four we'll come in right there where she's flying at the camera. Twilight will suddenly realize she doesn't really know how to fly and comes crashing down. Then it will be up to Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy to teach her how to fly. Hope I explained that without confusing everyone.

Another sign of how the finale was rushed and the writers are just not giving a damn anymore. How is it that Twilight knew how to fly instantly she got her wings while born Pegasus like Rainbow Dash was kicked out of flight school and Fluttershy became a poor flier. In the ending she just flew around like she did a loop around like she was doing it all her life then announced "Everything is going to be alright." Let's just cut that part out maybe?

Sure she's a fast learner but there is years of muscle memory to be learned. At this point Twilight should known much about flying as Scootaloo. Don't tell me she's hooked to the Matrix now.

You know it's funny how many people make a stink about this issue but no one ever questions Rarity's abliity to fly in "Sonic Rainboom" with a set of wings that are anything but natural.  Twilight's are a natural part of her physiology. 

Also something of note: Scootaloo is supposed to not be able to fly(and probably never will) because she is disabled as per word of Faust from this video.

Edited by Leatherneck

Hey remember when twilight became an alicorn,  and when she returned to equestria from Celestias magic TV room,  she was standing in the middle of canterlot in her gala dress?

Oh wait no, she was standing in ponyville, at night.   Her coronation ceremony took place during the day in Canterlot.  We may need to use some imagination here,  but we can at least accept that time passed between her flying off, and her additional wings.  Lots of time there to see how she learned to fly.

Even if we don't get to see it, I'd be willing to bet my hooves that we'll get "that scene" in season 4.  One where Twilight crashes into something and goes "oops, still getting a hang of these".  

Scootoloo is handicapped. Her friends are actually making fun of her disability when they call her flightless bird names. She will never be able to fly on her own. :(

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

is coming for you.

img-1198942-1-155477%20-%20animated%20fl

Fluttershy has already shown to be hesitant on flying at all and Hurricane Fluttershy showed how she sucked at flying.

BTW I am a Fluttershy fan but I don't try and hide the facts or be bias.

Edited by poniesforfun

• 4 months later...

Ye be spoilers and such I suppose.

Badda boom, badda boom. Thanks to Equestria Girls, we now know that Twilight is, in no such way, 'used' to her wings, let alone flying with them. How she seemingly flew completely well at the end of S3 despite this has yet to be explained in of itself (I imagine the S4 opening might assist in this idea), but apparent continuity issue aside, the future and how more likely it is we'll be seeing her training, practicing or otherwise researching on how to fly properly in S4 somewhere, regardless if that form is in an entire episode, or just a little scene, is now very possible again.

• Brohoof 5

Ye be spoilers and such I suppose.

Badda boom, badda boom. Thanks to Equestria Girls, we now know that Twilight is, in no such way, 'used' to her wings, let alone flying with them. How she seemingly flew completely well at the end of S3 despite this has yet to be explained in of itself (I imagine the S4 opening might assist in this idea), but apparent continuity issue aside, the future and how more likely it is we'll be seeing her training, practicing or otherwise researching on how to fly properly in S4 somewhere, regardless if that form is in an entire episode, or just a little scene, is now very possible again.

Possible spoilers I guess.

Yeah I agree this was basically what I was going to say.

I think that maybe she just had a spout of confident in the S3 finale or something, but its shown in EQG that she can't actually fly.

I'm looking forward to seeing an episode teaching Twilight to fly, I think it could be quite good and even adorable. And now its possible.

I'd actually be surprised if they didn't do this in an episode.

Well if she already flew without any training, think, Celestia said she was ready... maybe while being morphed into an alicorn, all the possible information about flying was copied into Twilight... Eh? Make sense...? ?

~Tri-Dart

post-17346-0-96025200-1372538185_thumb.png

At the end of season 3, Twilight Sparkle flew without any problems.

In Equestria Girls, she couldn't fly.

Shining armor probably threw her.

Reminds me of a comic someone made which has Rainbow throw Twilight with a catapult in that scene assuming she could fly, but then learning she didn't know how. Can't remember who made that comic however.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Another sign of how the finale was rushed and the writers are just not giving a damn anymore. How is it that Twilight knew how to fly instantly she got her wings while born Pegasus like Rainbow Dash was kicked out of flight school and Fluttershy became a poor flier. In the ending she just flew around like she did a loop around like she was doing it all her life then announced "Everything is going to be alright." Let's just cut that part out maybe?

Sure she's a fast learner but there is years of muscle memory to be learned. At this point Twilight should known much about flying as Scootaloo. Don't tell me she's hooked to the Matrix now.

Twilight Sparkle gave Rarity wings in the 1st Season.  She flies with them and uses them to strut her stuff without any effort or visible learning.  Yet, nobody remembers Season 1?

rarity____with_wings__by_rontoday2012-d5

Edited by Best Pony
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight Sparkle gave Rarity wings in the 1st Season.  She flies with them and uses them to strut her stuff without any effort or visible learning.  Yet, nobody remembers Season 1?

img-1655552-1-rarity____with_wings__by_r

That was done via a spell, and knowledge of how to use the wings might well have just been part and parcel of that spell. That's a different situation to growing proper pegasus-type wings.

I agree that Twilight flying at the end of Season 3 was just a way of having some sort of flashy ending, and perhaps should not be over-analysed too much. (Look who I'm talking to...  :blink:  This fandom lives and breathes over-analysis.)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

She's an egghead.

Is that a sufficient answer?

Not to say it doesn't feel out of place, but it seems valid and it's very likely.

Let's not forget that Twilight can learn spells in a single day. (she figured out a time travel spell in seconds)

Given the likeliness that she has probably read about flying and how flight works with pegasi wings, that could be a reason.

I agree that experience is usually a better teacher, but it's not impossible to learn something practical through theory.

No, that's not an answer, that's a cop-out.

Spells are a different thing entirely.

Twilight Sparkle is naturally magic-prone because of her unicorn heritage.

She was not a pegasus pony, and thus, had no flight experience at all.

You can't really learn to utilize specific physical skills via theory only. You have to have practice, too.

Edited by Sickman

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't care. I mean, the wings are just props anyway. What matters is the fact that she's a princess now.

OF COURSE she's not going to be as good a flyer as Rainbow Dash. Everyone is getting so worked up over a few seconds of flying time from Twilight. Does it really matter how she learned to fly so quickly? Does it really matter if it makes no sense that she won't be able to fly as well in later episodes?

Twilight's wings are just a piece of eye candy to make her more distinguished.