Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ableton Users Thread

EndtheRaven

Hello everypony. I didn't see any threads specifically about Ableton anywhere, so I figured I would start a thread where Live users can share tips, advice, answer each others questions, even upload/share live racks we've created, presets, etc... I figured it would be of great use. 

I hope you all find this helpful, Thanks! 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching you, thread. I will stalk you until I learn this software inside and out. I WILL LEARN YOUR SECRETS, ABLETON LIVE! YOUR 500 PAGE MANUAL WILL NOT INTIMIDATE ME!

Ahem... Sorry. Got a bit war-charge-speech-talk-thing-ish there. I'm new to Ableton, too. I want to get my money's worth so i'll post to here if I can after I learn things.

From what I know so far, the biggest tip I can give is mess with knobs. The pre-baked sounds actually have a large range of sounds if you mess with the knobs. Take some time and really dial it in so that you get what you need out of it.

FL Studio FTW!!

Anyway... xD   On topic:

My friend uses Ableton Live and he says:

When you use the Limiter, be sure to have it in the right mode. In L/R mode, processing for each of the two channels is handled independently. But in stereo mode, if there is a big peak on both channels, both sides will be limited. This option is usually the best one for complete tracks as L/R can affect the balance and stereo field.

Blah, blah, blah! 

~Luna

I'm watching you, thread. I will stalk you until I learn this software inside and out. I WILL LEARN YOUR SECRETS, ABLETON LIVE! YOUR 500 PAGE MANUAL WILL NOT INTIMIDATE ME!

Ahem... Sorry. Got a bit war-charge-speech-talk-thing-ish there. I'm new to Ableton, too. I want to get my money's worth so i'll post to here if I can after I learn things.

From what I know so far, the biggest tip I can give is mess with knobs. The pre-baked sounds actually have a large range of sounds if you mess with the knobs. Take some time and really dial it in so that you get what you need out of it.

I have a dvd instruction manual thing that helps to explain it pretty well if you want it. 

You can do a lot with the sounds that come with it, but it is really easy to integrate plugins too. 

I have a dvd instruction manual thing that helps to explain it pretty well if you want it. 

You can do a lot with the sounds that come with it, but it is really easy to integrate plugins too. 

That would be nice. At the moment i'm still struggling with the monumental learning curve, and all the things I make seem really empty and raw.

I'd love a copy of that as well. Ableton came with my Novation Impulse but the program simply confused the hell out of me so I'm sticking with Acid Studio for now.

No problem! I've got it uploading to google drive right now, and I'll post a download link once it finishes.

It's a little cheesy and the guy's voice is annoying. But it explains the basics really well. Ableton does a ton of different things, so it has a huuuuuuge learning curve and is really intimidating at first. 

No problem! I've got it uploading to google drive right now, and I'll post a download link once it finishes.

It's a little cheesy and the guy's voice is annoying. But it explains the basics really well. Ableton does a ton of different things, so it has a huuuuuuge learning curve and is really intimidating at first. 

You don't need to tell me twice. Maybe once we all get over the gigantic learning curve, we can do one gigantic circle-jerk beginners collab.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9624380/Ableton%20Basics.zip

Alright, that should be the link for the instructional dvd I found. Just let me know if the download works, and if it helps you out any. Oh, and you can ask me any questions about Ableton you have. I've used it for about a year now, but I'm still learning. Though I can give you some advice. 

Thanks for the download. It's more centralized than what i've found from YouTube. Just one thing. What would you say is the biggest tip you can give to beginners?

Ooof! I stumbled on a rock and found this! :o

I use Ableton for my music. :P I have a Mac. I mostly do electronic music. I'm kinda new to the music business (only been working for 2 months now) and I'm kinda looking for someone who could help me find any good VST for it? The VST I'm looking for would be a rock guitar one or a bass for electronic.

Ooof! I stumbled on a rock and found this! ohmy.png

I use Ableton for my music. tongue.png I have a Mac. I mostly do electronic music. I'm kinda new to the music business (only been working for 2 months now) and I'm kinda looking for someone who could help me find any good VST for it? The VST I'm looking for would be a rock guitar one or a bass for electronic.

I can't think of any good vst's for guitar or bass, I'm sure there are some though. One thing you can do is find a sample set from a guitar and map it to a keyboard using simpler in Ableton. Basically making your own instrument. 

I can't think of any good vst's for guitar or bass, I'm sure there are some though. One thing you can do is find a sample set from a guitar and map it to a keyboard using simpler in Ableton. Basically making your own instrument. 

That's what I do to my drums with my downloaded samples of kicks and snares and whatnots. :P All I really do is just mix and match. XD Sometimes, I use loops as well.

Ooof! I stumbled on a rock and found this! ohmy.png

I use Ableton for my music. tongue.png I have a Mac. I mostly do electronic music. I'm kinda new to the music business (only been working for 2 months now) and I'm kinda looking for someone who could help me find any good VST for it? The VST I'm looking for would be a rock guitar one or a bass for electronic.

Arkane posted an okay guitar VST a while back in the Pony.fm QA Skype chat, but I can't remember the name of it. It's not as good as a real guitar (nothing is), but it worked well enough for laying down rhythm work.

I'd suggest the Shreddage series of VSTs from Impact Soundworks if you have the money to fork over. Easily the most convincing guitar VSTs on the market right now.

Arkane posted an okay guitar VST a while back in the Pony.fm QA Skype chat, but I can't remember the name of it. It's not as good as a real guitar (nothing is), but it worked well enough for laying down rhythm work.

I'd suggest the Shreddage series of VSTs from Impact Soundworks if you have the money to fork over. Easily the most convincing guitar VSTs on the market right now.

I can't seem to confirm online if this is also compatible for Mac. Hmm...  Also, which one is it? Shreddage X or Shreddage 2? ohmy.png I am interested in checking out this VST.

EDIT: Actually, some samples would do too. XD If anyone knows, please tell me. 

(I feel like I'm not doing this right. :P )

Edited by Stormz

I can't seem to confirm online if this is also compatible for Mac. Hmm...  Also, which one is it? Shreddage X or Shreddage 2? ohmy.png I am interested in checking out this VST.

Shreddage 2 is the most recent release. The VST works with Kontakt Player, which runs on a Mac. Shreddage Bass works the same way, of course, but so far they only have one release of that.

Shreddage 2 is the most recent release. The VST works with Kontakt Player, which runs on a Mac. Shreddage Bass works the same way, of course, but so far they only have one release of that.

Kontakt Player is paid too, I suppose? o.o Oh, my. Quite costly for me. Erm... are there alternatives? :o

Shreddage seemed very nice though. Too bad it just costs way too much for me at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion! :3

Kontakt Player is paid too, I suppose? o.o Oh, my. Quite costly for me. Erm... are there alternatives? ohmy.png

Shreddage seemed very nice though. Too bad it just costs way too much for me at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion! :3

I just acquired kontakt myself, if you pm me I could pass it along to you. if you use a mac that is. Idk if the mac version will work on both systems. 

Kontakt Player is paid too, I suppose?

Nope. Kontakt Player is completely free. Just grab it, then pay your $130 for the Shreddage library, and you can start putting together guitar work.

I just acquired kontakt myself, if you pm me I could pass it along to you. if you use a mac that is. Idk if the mac version will work on both systems. 

I think I'll get it myself. I'll just ask when I need help. :P

Nope. Kontakt Player is completely free. Just grab it, then pay your $130 for the Shreddage library, and you can start putting together guitar work.

Awesome! Though, I'm not sure if I will get Shreddage, mainly because of cost. Are there other alternatives to Shreddage? If you don't have things like Shreddage in Kontakt, what does Kontakt do on its own? 

I think I'll get it myself. I'll just ask when I need help. tongue.png

Awesome! Though, I'm not sure if I will get Shreddage, mainly because of cost. Are there other alternatives to Shreddage? If you don't have things like Shreddage in Kontakt, what does Kontakt do on its own? 

Well, if I can find out what Arkane uses, I'll let you know. I remember that it comes at the low, low price of free, but it's nowhere near as good as a commercial VST.

Well, if I can find out what Arkane uses, I'll let you know. I remember that it comes at the low, low price of free, but it's nowhere near as good as a commercial VST.

Awesome! That sounds great, Dusk! Thanks for your help. :3  What I basically want to do is just start to make some other kinds of tunes to at least keep a variety.

Hey. Just dropping in to ask about something that's been bugging me for a while. I'm enjoying playing with the knobs on the presets in Ableton, but does anyone know any good synth VSTs that would let me make my own waveforms? I'm thinking of things like Operator and Massive, but those are both a bit out of my price range. What would you guys recommend?

I've tried using Ableton...but I attempted teaching myself right after learning how to use FL Studio...so...yea.

Anyway, it was all crazy and what I wasn't used too but it still seemed like I cool program.

Try out the free trial versions sometime. It's fun to just mess around with, and has a really nice flow between concepts, to recording and looping, and then tweaking in Arrangement. You can also just work like a normal program entirely from Arrangement, or just go into Session and mess about with MIDI clips and stuff. It's hard to learn, and fun to use.