Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

10 hours ago, Miss H said:

Why would you ever willingly go to Tenneessee and stay there for any amount of time for any reason.

of course teneessee sucks. no one's doubting that

13 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

There has been weirder, I guess, sometimes they want to put as many circuits on a tower that they want, and they are more interesting!

11 hours ago, Count Paradox said:

There's a club!?!?!?

Yes there is, and I am part of it, the tired ponies club! I'm super tired this morning! D:

17 hours ago, Lil'Cinnamon said:

Who are you talking to? And what do you mean by that? xD I mean on my trip I only cut through Memphis on the way back here cause it was the fastest way. Memphis is meh, though other parts of Tennessee aren't bad I'd guess. The state is only a 3 and a half hour drive away from me and all.

This owl, that's who.

you were the only one showing having been in Tenneessee at all, so.

And it is bad. All of it. This state sucks and I want out.

Of course, ive only been around a few of its proper cities, but I mean, I highly doubt anywhere else in here is any what nice.

5 minutes ago, Miss H said:

This owl, that's who.

you were the only one showing having been in Tenneessee at all, so.

And it is bad. All of it. This state sucks and I want out.

Of course, ive only been around a few of its proper cities, but I mean, I highly doubt anywhere else in here is any what nice.

I wasn't that much of a fan of Memphis, though it is the biggest city close to me, the other one is St Louis, which is a bit further than Memphis. Memphis is 3 and a half hours, St Louis is about 4 hours and some more away, Kansas City is about 5 hours and some more away, Springfield though is only 2 hours away but it is a small city as opposed to a big city. (apparently the 3rd biggest city in Missouri but still small compared to the other towns or Denver, where I used to live) Little Rock is 3 hours away and is the only big city IN my state...  Well we have the Fayetteville/Bentonville/Springdale area, which is decent size as well and that is again 3 hours away from me... And they are both still small. Dallas Texas is 7 hours away... Tulsa is another 4 hours and some away... sooo... And anything nearby is just the sticks here.

But, I only cut though Tennessee on the way back cause it was the fastest way. I was mainly in Alabama and Mississippi (and here of course) that day. I wanted to see South Carolina on my huge trip so I went down to Atlanta instead of staying in Tennessee. So originally I was going to be going through it, but decided to go a different way cause I could plus add a new state to my bucket list.

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Miss H said:

This owl, that's who.

Cinny is an owl; it's official now. (The one in the back is Cinny; the one in front is Haven.)

Oh, by the BTW, I was in the San Diego area earlier this week. I keep forgetting my heritage, so much so that entering a <heritage.demonym()> restaurant is like a time warp for me. Oh, and the freeways are huge.

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

6 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Cinny is an owl; it's official now. (The one in the back is Cinny; the one in front is Haven.)

Oh, by the BTW, I was in the San Diego area earlier this week. I keep forgetting my heritage, so much so that entering a <heritage.demonym()> restaurant is like a time warp for me. Oh, and the freeways are huge.

And nah, I'm a pony, so I stay a pony.

And nice, Why the "<heritage.demonym()>"? xD And yeah. freeways can be big. When I was on the New Jersey Turnpike (well.. That's a tollway but still) it was huge, 6 lanes on each side, so a 12 lane highway. The three inner lanes are cars only, and the 3 outer lanes are Any vehicle, so trucks mainly are on the outside and cars are on the inside. The toll wasn't too expensive though at least. Speaking, I still have tolls to recieve in the mail.. One for the Boston bridge.. And another in New York... And one more for Baltimore. That will be about 20 dollars in total for them... Since I don't live there I don't have a use for their express kind of things. xD

6 minutes ago, Lil'Cinnamon said:

And nah, I'm a pony, so I stay a pony.

And nice, Why the "<heritage.demonym()>"? xD And yeah. freeways can be big. When I was on the New Jersey Turnpike (well.. That's a tollway but still) it was huge, 6 lanes on each side, so a 12 lane highway. The three inner lanes are cars only, and the 3 outer lanes are Any vehicle, so trucks mainly are on the outside and cars are on the inside. The toll wasn't too expensive though at least. Speaking, I still have tolls to recieve in the mail.. One for the Boston bridge.. And another in New York... And one more for Baltimore. That will be about 20 dollars in total for them... Since I don't live there I don't have a use for their express kind of things. xD

Widest thing I've seen so far was this: two 8-lane freeways merging together (or splitting from each other, depending on your perspective), and one of them has 4 carpool lanes. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8652506,-117.1095552,904a,35y,113.06h/data=!3m1!1e3

Think the record holder is like 26 lanes wide and is in Orange county. The only other freeway that's ridiculously wide that I know of is in Canada, but that's like 20 lanes in some parts, 10 each side, and each side is subdivided into two carraigeways.

3 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Anything exciting happen to you, Doxbox?

Oh Ganny, here, have some Canadian power lines, a picture I took on my trip

100_5536s.jpg

3 hours ago, Count Paradox said:

Eh, not really

And hai, how are you? Been a while. Though I am about to sleep..You still have the Christmas hat avatar I see. xD

36 minutes ago, Lil'Cinnamon said:

Oh Ganny, here, have some Canadian power lines, a picture I took on my trip

100_5536s.jpg

Dangit, I had this picture of power lines I once drew for a web design class, which I then reused for a presentation last quarter, and then during my excursion to San Diego last SuSday, I saw the real life thing and I had to take a picture of it for comparison. If only I had the images to show...

Sheesh. I'm so good at drawing these things that I can't help but reuse them for future projects, which I already done. I just can't get myself to do anything new...

capture_powerlines_recurring.thumb.png.50ca3c8941f56a4a71a383f6df3d79d4.png

I think I once asked the question of why power lines sag. I found the answer:

1. It's inevitable.

2. Current flowing through a wire heats it up, which makes the metal expand, which increases the sag. I think the reason why you have multiple cables on a single phase is to distribute the current among the individual cables, thus reducing the overall sag. (OK, I looked it up. Bundled conductors are for reducing power loss and a bunch of weird side effects when exceeding 100+kV, so something tells me that that forest of electric spider webs is well above 100kV.)

7 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Dangit, I had this picture of power lines I once drew for a web design class, which I then reused for a presentation last quarter, and then during my excursion to San Diego last SuSday, I saw the real life thing and I had to take a picture of it for comparison. If only I had the images to show...

Sheesh. I'm so good at drawing these things that I can't help but reuse them for future projects, which I already done. I just can't get myself to do anything new...

I think I once asked the question of why power lines sag. I found the answer:

1. It's inevitable.

2. Current flowing through a wire heats it up, which makes the metal expand, which increases the sag. I think the reason why you have multiple cables on a single phase is to distribute the current among the individual cables, thus reducing the overall sag. (OK, I looked it up. Bundled conductors are for reducing power loss and a bunch of weird side effects when exceeding 100+kV, so something tells me that that forest of electric spider webs is well above 100kV.)

I used to draw them all the time, and that kind you have shown, I have seen those a lot. I have my own insulators too and stuff.

Actually... the reason they bundle up the conductors is because of the Coriolis effect, it reduces it drastically when they do that. Back in Colorado, I saw lots of power lines that started out as non-bundled, and then from one of the towers changed the conductor from one side that is not bundled, to bundled. And some of those lines had one circuit with a unbounded conductor, and one side with one. Here, let me show you a picture:

(I am just going to link this here instead...) <-- Clicky

Also if you want to look at lots of pictures of power lines I took in the past, click this linky thing. I haven't updated it in forever but lots of pictures are there if you wanna browse Ganny.