Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dreamsong

https://pony.fm/tracks/364-king-sombra-freewave-dreamsong-goldfinger-cover

post-13400-0-37130200-1365707218_thumb.jpg

I was just finishing another track for Freewave and he just happened to casually mention, "How do you feel about doing a song about King Sombra to the tune of the old James Bond song, 'Goldfinger'?"

Well, I've been doing a bit of study on the Crystal Empire episodes for the radio play I'm writing/producing for and I was like, "OMG!!!  That _totally_ fits!!!"

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do the brassy, original vocals justice, (Shirley Bassey sang on the original track and... oh... my... goodness is she a great singer!  O.o )

Anyway... Freewave and I worked on the lyrics together, and he put together an _amazing_ musical arrangement for it!  I added some flute for a retro kind of feel, and tried my best to sing my heart out for Twilight battling King Sombra, (and Celestia and Luna a thousand years before her).

Freewave made a powerful PMV to go along with it, in the theme of the old James Bond movie openers featuring art from a lot of great brony artists!  (And I'm sooo glad he put into his text that he feels that though challenged, that Twi would eventually prove victorious over Sombra.  ...I _really_ feel for Twi. <3 )

Freewave's Pony.FM is:
https://pony.fm/freewave

Cover art by Atryl http://atryl.deviantart.com/art/30min-Challenge-King-Sombra-337312445

heeee!  More songs to come from collabs with Freewave!  It are _awesome_ working with him!  <3

• Brohoof 5

I may be biased but i think that song is great. happy.png  lol

This was a ton of fun and I hope people enjoy this. Working on an upcoming whole album of ponified covers is a fun way of recognizning how existing music can be reflected in MLP and often crossover quite well (plus a great song is a great song even before it was pony). Dreamsong blew my expectations out of the water as Shirely Bassey is an EXCELLENT singer and it was a tough challenge and she did a great job. Not to mention that all the amazing flute work would make Jethro Tull green with envy. laugh.png

• Brohoof 2

You two inspire me to go make some awesome tunes...I am seriously considering starting up singing again.
I WISH I HAD MY DESKTOP (I miss FL Studio (I'm away from home right myaw))

Both of you, keep up the amazing work biggrin.png

• Brohoof 2

I may be biased but i think that song is great. img-1361545-1-happy.png  lol

This was a ton of fun and I hope people enjoy this. Working on an upcoming whole album of ponified covers is a fun way of recognizning how existing music can be reflected in MLP and often crossover quite well (plus a great song is a great song even before it was pony). Dreamsong blew my expectations out of the water as Shirely Bassey is an EXCELLENT singer and it was a tough challenge and she did a great job. Not to mention that all the amazing flute work would make Jethro Tull green with envy. img-1361545-2-laugh.png

Ooooch, Freewave, thank you so much!  <3

Your music brought such power and presence to the song -- I remember listening to it after you put in all the new bits and I was like... "OMG... I could totally hear this on the radio!"  O.o )

*giggles*  Last vocal rehearsal for the group I sing in, the director was totally talking about singing as a team sport.  I'd never thought of it that way before, but I really think she's right!

And it's awesome to be on a team with you!  I love what you bring to the music, and that you inspire me to keep getting better and trying new things!!!  <3

You two inspire me to go make some awesome tunes...I am seriously considering starting up singing again.

I WISH I HAD MY DESKTOP (I miss FL Studio (I'm away from home right myaw))

Both of you, keep up the amazing work img-1361554-1-biggrin.png

Ooooch, thank you so much, Jolteon!  It's so wunnerful to know we inspire you!  <3

It's so great to be a part of a group of good hearts, inspiring and inspired by one another, and by such beautiful characters from the show. <3

• Brohoof 2

this is why I shall never release my music :( it will never sound this good haha but maybe one day years from now I will be able to create something that I can post here

this is why I shall never release my music sad.png it will never sound this good haha but maybe one day years from now I will be able to create something that I can post here

*hugs*  Och goodness... thank you for the compliment, I'm verra touched!

But you know?  A few years ago, I was afraid to sing -- I had an ex who told me that my voice hurt her ears, and I believed her.  So, I was terrified that I'd never be able to sing well.

Believe in yourself -- there's magic on our world too.  It might not be quite the kind of magic we see in Equestria, but it is powerful and it can bring about some amazing, breathtaking, beautiful changes.

It's taken a few years of believing in myself, but slowly... slowly... I started to see hope... and then others began to see potential....

Holding constant what _you_ choose to be your future, dearly and closely in both your heart and in your mind... you will find your way there, no matter how great the wish or dream. <3

• Brohoof 1

But you know?  A few years ago, I was afraid to sing -- I had an ex who told me that my voice hurt her ears, and I believed her.  So, I was terrified that I'd never be able to sing well.

???

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold on, I need to go get my jaw, I think I've kicked it under the couch when it fell.  'hurt her ears' she said..

This style of singing really suits your voice. Thank you for sharing. :)

• Brohoof 2

this is why I shall never release my music img-1362073-1-sad.png it will never sound this good haha but maybe one day years from now I will be able to create something that I can post here

If it makes you feel any better I've been doing this for about 2 1/2 years now and i couldn't make a truly good quality track that whole first year (i actually avoided Fl studio like the plague back then as it scared me and overclocked my pc). This was my 46th brony track so I've made a lot during that time. I'm still scared to make a lot of original tracks as I'm just not a composer yet. You have to know what you do well through trial and error and most of all learning from every mistake you make.

Start with remixes or covers where you have something strong to start with and you can really get an idea of how a track should be assembled and what it should look like and then look for how you can do something differently. It didn't hurt that I finally got Kontakt to work so i could start using some more realistic samples libraries (great software makes a big difference). But it's all a learning curve and this took almost a month of work. I can still pick out all kinds of flaws and mistakes in prior tracks that i know of and that's just how this all works. Stumbling, falling, learning from mistakes, and getting back up is just part of how you get better. wink.png

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

If it makes you feel any better I've been doing this for about 2 1/2 years now and i couldn't make a truly good quality track that whole first year (i actually avoided Fl studio like the plague back then as it scared me and overclocked my pc). This was my 46th brony track so I've made a lot during that time. I'm still scared to make a lot of original tracks as I'm just not a composer yet. You have to know what you do well through trial and error and most of all learning from every mistake you make.

Start with remixes or covers where you have something strong to start with and you can really get an idea of how a track should be assembled and what it should look like and then look for how you can do something differently. It didn't hurt that I finally got Kontakt to work so i could start using some more realistic samples libraries (great software makes a big difference). But it's all a learning curve and this took almost a month of work. I can still pick out all kinds of flaws and mistakes in prior tracks that i know of and that's just how this all works. Stumbling, falling, learning from mistakes, and getting back up is just part of how you get better. wink.png

so you use FL studio now? cause i have ableton and fl studio dunno which one I like better though but honestly i dont understand either too much.

so you use FL studio now? cause i have ableton and fl studio dunno which one I like better though but honestly i dont understand either too much.

Well both are DAWS so its not really WHICH you use but which one works best for YOU and what makes the most SENSE. With either one you have to learn how to use them effectively and man that takes a a LOAD of time and a ton of tutorial videos you should watch for each. I went with fl studio because there seem to be a majority of brony musicians who seem to be using it.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Well both are DAWS so its not really WHICH you use but which one works best for YOU and what makes the most SENSE.

Well said!!!  <3

I got Ableton 'cause a friend of mine uses it and loves it to pieces, (he run BlackTigerRecordings.com -- it's a record label for trance-techno artists).

...But... I just could never make sense of it.  The way it thinks is sooooo very different than the way I think.  O.o

(I eventually went with Cakewalk's Sonar X1 'cause it looks just like real-world controls and that makes sense to me.)

Freewave is right -- All DAW's do pretty much the same things, you just have to find the one that works best for the way your brain thinks.  <3

I had an old thread on here that I thought i'd reblog that has a checklist of everything i try to do when i release a track. There so MANY steps from start to finish that it's easy to miss some and I've had that happen many times before. Sad thing is sometimes one big flaw can ruin the track (one bad applle...). I hope it may help anyone who's just starting.

• Brohoof 1

???

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold on, I need to go get my jaw, I think I've kicked it under the couch when it fell.  'hurt her ears' she said..

This style of singing really suits your voice. Thank you for sharing. smile.png

*blushes and giggles*  Oooh, thank you so very much. <3 <3

Well... I loved her very much, and because I loved her so much, I believed her.

It really means the world to me to know that others feel my voice is worth sharing.  <3

LOL  My boyfriend took me out to dinner last night, and what did I order?

FILLET OF SOOOOOOUUUUULLLLLLL

*giggles*  I just had to! :P

• Brohoof 3

*blushes and giggles*  Oooh, thank you so very much. <3 <3

Well... I loved her very much, and because I loved her so much, I believed her.

It really means the world to me to know that others feel my voice is worth sharing.  <3

After a bit of a delay (i always start doubting they'll include it after a few days) it made motd at #3 spot!!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/04/music-of-day-95.html

Wooooooooooooooooooh!! wub.png

• Brohoof 1

After a bit of a delay (i always start doubting they'll include it after a few days) it made motd at #3 spot!!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/04/music-of-day-95.html

Wooooooooooooooooooh!! img-1370975-1-wub.png

OMG OMG OMG!  Awwwweeesssooommmme! :D

Och, that is fantastic!  :D

*hugs and wags*  It is so great workin' with ya, Freewave! :D

heeeee...  I can't wait for us to complete the next songs we're working on!  <3

spoilers?

OMG OMG OMG!  Awwwweeesssooommmme! biggrin.png

Och, that is fantastic!  biggrin.png

*hugs and wags*  It is so great workin' with ya, Freewave! biggrin.png

heeeee...  I can't wait for us to complete the next songs we're working on!  <3

so spoilers? =D haha and grats to both of you working out great it would seem and cant wait to see what else you guys come up with

• Brohoof 2

Excellent, I really like it. Your voice is so pretty Dreamsong, I really like your stuff! Freewave's arrangement is great here too of course, I look forward to hearing more from you guys. :D

• Brohoof 2

"You expect me to talk, Sombra?"

"GURGLE GURGLE RAWR CRYSTALS BLAHRG BURP DIE."

Somebody needs to do to Con Mane what's been done to Daring Do and set up a whole mythology around the guy.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

That was amazing! The lyrics go really well with the music. Well done!

I now also think that Hasbro should bring back Donut Joe as James Bond! That would make an awesome episode! :P

Anyway, well done you two! :)

• Brohoof 1

spoilers?

so spoilers? =D haha and grats to both of you working out great it would seem and cant wait to see what else you guys come up with

Thanks so much! :D

We've just finished a new, fun piece based on the song "Young Folks"

http://mlpforums.com/topic/52832-dreamsongs-music-thread/?p=1463919

It's a light-hearted, fun, danceable song! :D  <3 <3

Excellent, I really like it. Your voice is so pretty Dreamsong, I really like your stuff! Freewave's arrangement is great here too of course, I look forward to hearing more from you guys. biggrin.png

Ooooch, thank you so verra much!

Freewave is so much fun to work with, he's got so many neat ideas that range over so many different styles of music! <3

"You expect me to talk, Sombra?"

"GURGLE GURGLE RAWR CRYSTALS BLAHRG BURP DIE."

Somebody needs to do to Con Mane what's been done to Daring Do and set up a whole mythology around the guy.

heeeee... That would be so fun! :D

That would be so much fun to see.  I wonder if somepony will do that?  It seems like there would be a wealth of story ideas! :D

A+ on the voice! Also that album art is amazing. Wish Sombra would have more character depth though.

Plot twist: James Bond is actually King Sombra img-1456817-1-ohmy.png

Ooooch, thank you so much!  <3

Freewave asked me if I wanted to try something with that kind of voice and I was like, "absolutely!" <3  (I'm usually doing sweet, gentle lyrics... I wanted to see if I could do something more brassy -- it was a challenge but it was a lot of fun! :) )

Thank you so much!

Freewave and I had a lot of fun playing with the lyrics to make it fit within our Ponyverse. :D

Thank you!  It's so much fun! <3 :D

• Brohoof 1