Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the writers hate Rarity?

Commander_PonyShep

59 users have voted

1. 1. Do the writers really hate Rarity?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

What people don't seem to realize is that they don't plan how much screen time each pony gets. They just pitch episode ideas to Hasbro, and If they get approved, they make the episode.

I'm sure they have pitched a few Rarity episodes that were rejected.

Something I've noticed about Rarity is that, out of the Mane 6, she is definitely the most self aware about her own flaws. Judging by the way that she hangs out with AJ in Season 3, it seems like she's gone through some off screen character development on her own.

• Brohoof 3

I don't know about the comics but I think that they are neutral with the characters. I'm pretty sure that when they are writting an episode up, the last they would do would be writing bad things about certain character because they hate them. What they do tho, is to keep everything in a family friendly environment and sadly that's what happaned with the episode that was meant to be for Rarity and Spike, with her being so mean to him.

In Sleepless in Ponyville, Rarity and Sweetie Belle were used for comedic relief and hell they delivered good, it was hilarious! . I get what you mean OP but remember that Sweetie got to manipulate Rarity as well and still she was happy to pull that cart for her sister. They manage to also show that caring side of Rarity for her sister and I didn't have a problem with them.

Thinking that they wrote that juat because they hate Rarity is just plain ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1

Dude, no one hates Rarity, as in, no one involved in the show.

She has improved, honestly, more than some of the other characters, hence, Sweet and Elite, and SisterHooves Social.

She isn't greedy, how the fuck is she even greedy?

Rarity is a complex character, her "improvement" is only seen in episodes about her, which go deeper into her personality, i could say the same about Pinkie, she got one episode, which wasn't that bad, there was a meaningful story to it, but the rest of the season, she was just an annoying one liner machine. (i'msorrypinkie;~;)

Edited by Pinkazoid!
  • Brohoof 1

I have to agree with others who say that it is difficult to write for Rarity, where you have this fine line between being classy but kind, and being an out and out snob.  But I think that is what makes her such an interesting character, and I think that if they want to get the character right rather than have a Rarit yepisode just for the sake of a Rarity episode, then I'm all for it. 

Of course they don't hate her. Just because she didn't get an episode in season 3 does not mean they hate her. They've already promised multiple Rarity episodes in season 4 to make up for it. And really, how is Applejack stealing any spotlight? She's just as much of a main character as Rarity and the others. Both characters are entitled to some screen time. And the background pony thing is just a joke and nothing more, and by now it's gotten older than Methuselah. It was never applicable in the first place; just terribly terribly asinine to think AJ was anything close to a background character.

I haven't read the comics, but I'm sure the writers are just portraying her as they see her. The comics are not written by the FIM writers, and are a totally separate identity. I've heard others complain about the characterization in the comics, so if it's inaccurate, you can't blame those involved with the show because they have nothing to do with it.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

Spike at Your Service was originally a Rarity episode, but she came out looking to mean in the skript.

As for the comics...

Nightmare Rarity was a matter of finding the weakest link. Rarity was the easiest for the nightmare forces to influence because of her insecurities and need for validation from others.

I can see why, at first glance, it may appear that the TV writers don't care for Rarity.  Because of her vanity and drama queen nature, it's very easy to use her for comic relief.  Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie seem to get the most abuse when it comes to gratuitous laughs.  But as mentioned above, Season 3's lack of Rarity was due to the short season and the fact that the original script for Spike at your Service made her look mean.

I can't speak for the comic.  But it's very rare to have a comic and a TV show take place in the same universe.  They're almost always written by different people and, without coordination, they're regarded as different continuities. 

• Brohoof 1

I can see how Rarity might seem to be the most hated character by the writers with no Rarity episode in S3 and whatnot,but I highly doubt that they actually hate writing her.In fact,evidence points to the contrary as they apparently re-wrote Spike At Your Service just because she was too mean in the script.If anything,I'd say that writers love her character,they just haven't had the chance to make another good episode just for Rarity thus far.

Can't say about the comics though.Never had the chance to read them yet.

Howdy folks!

I dont think they hate Rarity neither.

Though I was blink.png in Just for sidekicks in one scene with spike that got me disappointed.

The producers are aware theres tons of fans of the unicorn with flair for fashion.

Or as Pinike Pie would say Fashion is her Passion.happy.png

So I give em the benefit of the doubt once S4 come this winter.

In the meantime the Micro Comic with Rarity I highly reccomend.

(Picked it up days ago its a riot)

Plus the new arc of the comic as well.

(You'll go what the BLEEP??? if ya read it)

See ya!

• 2 years later...