mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) This is the best of this oft-interpreted Jules Verne classic. It has a solid cast, excellent writing and direction, and still towers above all other film versions I’ve seen, even the decent ones. James Mason takes his role to the next level with his usual charisma in front of the camera, and the supporting cast is well chosen. Great movie. 9/10.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024) It was reasonably diverting, in a leave-your-brain-at-the-door kind of way. One thing it had going for it is that it was not another rehash of the same story they’ve been telling over and over since the first movie. At least this time we had a different bad guy. And it was nice having a little more screen time with the original crew from the ‘80s, even though Bill Murray, who will apparently do any movie you offer him, had a comparatively smaller part. McKenna Grace is the real start of these new Ghostbuster movies and she steals every scene she’s in. And while plot has always been secondary to the humor in these movies, we can’t just ignore the plot altogether and fill in the blanks with special effects. As an example, the main baddie in this thing ‘somehow’ gets free of his prison to wreak havoc on the world, but how exactly did he get free? By special effects and confusion, that’s how! Later in the movie, one of the characters even asks the same question, and he gets the reply, “No time to get into that now.” Mmm hmmm, sounds like they borrowed one of those classic “That story is for another time” lines from J. J. Abrams that completely precludes any questions about bad writing long enough for the audience to forget and move on. One can (though shouldn’t) overlook this sort of thing in minor areas, and for major plot points it isn’t acceptable at all. So this one definitely has some ups and downs. And please, will someone get rid of those lame Sta-Puft marshmallow men?? They aren’t funny and don’t fit here anymore. If I want the comic stylings of the Minions, I’ll watch Despicable Me. 5.5/10

Corvette Summer (1978) Fun movie, that’s all. Mark Hamill, fresh out of Star Wars, leads the cast of this flick as a student mechanic spending his summer break looking for a stolen Corvette he built in his shop class. It has a decent cast of characters and situations that keep the movie moving forward without bogging anything down. It had a nice crisp pace and tells its story well. Lots of fun. 8/10

A Quiet Place: Day One (2024) Okay, the first Quiet Place movie had the gimmick of alien attackers that hunted by use of their extremely acute sensitivity to sound. It was an idea worth one movie but the studios decided to cash-in because it was a hit with a good return, so they squeezed a sequel out of it, which was okay. Now, back for more money, they give us an origin story which really doesn’t do anything to enlighten the audience; it’s just another cash grab. The story is essentially non-existent and the characters boring. But I’m sure there will be another installment to follow up on things as they were left at the end of the second episode. If the characters had been even remotely engaging in this movie I could have rolled with it, because I love origin stories, but the girl, despite some potential, didn’t have much to do, and the male lead was such a wuss with perpetual tears in his eyes, following the girl around like a lost puppy, adding nothing to the movie except to show how butch women must be and how wimpy men must be by comparison. Lame. There was so little actual plot that there were tons of filler scenes that went nowhere and slowed down what the characters were attempting to do (which wasn’t much as it is). So, I didn’t care for this movie. 4.5/10

The Lovely Bones (2009) This movie was on one of my streamers so I gave it a shot, and was pleasantly surprised. By ‘pleasant’ I mean it was diverting, but it wasn’t a pleasant movie by any standard because it dealt with the murder of a 14 year old girl by a serial killer. It was unsettling, scary and very tense, but also very engaging. Despite its long running time of 2:15 (typical of director Peter Jackson) it didn’t drag much. I liked almost all the cast and I am a huge fan of Saoirse Ronan (the murdered girl). Stanley Tucci was such a realistic creep in this thing and played his part a little too well. But without going too far into spoilers here I’ll just say I saw only one real (and pointless) misstep as far as giving closure to the case, and that aspect should have been done differently. 7/10

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 1

Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell. Been on an anime binge as of late, I guess. :P

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Excited 2

City of Ember (2008) This is one of my comfort movies. Somehow the idea of a dystopian existence makes me feel peaceful. And this one has some good characters that are very well cast. I really like Saoirse Ronan and Harry Treadaway in the leads. The movie is we adapted from the book and improves on it in many ways. 8/10

Barbie and the Secret Door (2014) Another great Barbie animated movie. This one has one of the most interesting and original antagonists (I won’t spoil it here, you’ll just have to watch it for yourself) and gives the movie a great sense of humor and style. 9/10 

Universal Soldier (1992) Uhh, yeah. This movie is stupid. Even if you’re into these 80s action movies, this is pretty dumb. But it has some nice explosions if that is enough to satisfy. 4/10

Despicable Me 4 (2024) It was okay, like the other in the series, but to lesser degree. You can tell this is another trip to a rapidly drying up well of inspiration. I like one of the new characters (Poppy), who has a despicable side herself, and adds a most endearing voice characteristic to her character by way of her braces. Fun and a reasonable way to kill some time. 6/10

Far and Away (1992) One of my all-time favorite movies. It follows the characters played by Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman from 1800s Ireland to Boston, and ultimately the Oklahoma Land Race, with many great turns along the way. I can’t really put into words what makes this movie so great, so I won’t attempt the impossible. All I can say is that it’s one of the few movies I can truly say is perfect from end to end. 12/10.

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

A Quiet Place: Day One - A solid, tense prequel to the first two films. But the formula is definitely starting to get a bit familiar. I hope the third movie is able to keep things fresh. 8.5 out of 10.

Longlegs - Probably the biggest surprise of the year for me. Nicholas Cage delivers an all-time great performance in a tense, unsettling thriller. Only issue is that the slow burn pace sometime works against the movie's favor. 8.5 out of 10.

Twisters - A pretty decent sequel to the 1996 original. It does exactly what it sets out to do as a fun summer blockbuster, but it's elevated by having a cast of likable (and attractive) leads. out of 10.

Deadpool & Wolverine - Messy plotting aside, this is the most fun I've had watching an MCU movie in a long time. Lots of laughs, carnage, and cameos. 8 out of 10.

Alien: Romulus - A mostly decent return to form for the franchise. A few problematic aspects hold it back from being truly great, but it otherwise delivered. 8.5 out of 10.

• Brohoof 2