Any suggestions on composing programs for music? (Wanna create music on Pony.fm)

Pinkiepieness

So I'm like in love with music and My Little Pony and I kind of want to expand my horizons and create some of my own music to be shared with all you lovely bronies :D

Anybody know of any good programs I could maybe download for free or possibly buy cheaply? I'm kind of on a budget at the moment. 

Suggestions and everything is greatly appreciated!

Have a good day everybody! :)

• Brohoof 3

Hmmmm.  A budget program.  

I'd recommend getting some torrent software, and getting a copy of FL studio.

FL studio is great for beginners, because of it's highly-graphical user interface.
It's one of the easiest to learn if you don't know anything already.

Personally I prefer Ableton, because it's very clean, it has a non-descript UI, and the Live Performance aspect is 2nd to none.

However, Ableton runs best when you have an External MIDI keyboard, and an APC40 or Launchpad controller.
FOr these reasons I would suggest pirating FL studio.

What kind of music are you looking to create?  I'm trying to expand myself to many different genres, maybe I can help once you get started.

If you can, go to a local music store and find a cheap MIDI keyboard.  

Having a MIDI keyboard will COMPLETELY transform your user-experience, trust me on that.

Hmmmm.  A budget program.  

I'd recommend getting some torrent software, and getting a copy of FL studio.

FL studio is great for beginners, because of it's highly-graphical user interface.

It's one of the easiest to learn if you don't know anything already.

Personally I prefer Ableton, because it's very clean, it has a non-descript UI, and the Live Performance aspect is 2nd to none.

However, Ableton runs best when you have an External MIDI keyboard, and an APC40 or Launchpad controller.

FOr these reasons I would suggest pirating FL studio.

What kind of music are you looking to create?  I'm trying to expand myself to many different genres, maybe I can help once you get started.

If you can, go to a local music store and find a cheap MIDI keyboard.  

Having a MIDI keyboard will COMPLETELY transform your user-experience, trust me on that.

Haha! I'll see what I can do about the MIDI keyboard but that sounds SAAWEET!  And I'm kind of into Dubstep :) One other question though. How can I pirate FL Studio? Like I'm not good  at that kind of stuff along with trying to get torrents for them all. (Kind of a newbie here :P)

• Brohoof 1

Ok, if you're unfamiliar with torrents then I would recommend staying away from them.  

From what I've learned, proper dubstep can be extremely difficult and time consuming to make, which is one fo the reasons I don't personally make it myself.  

What people don't know is that "Wubs" are extreme automations of synth parameters, or LFO parameters.  You really won't be able to make those outside of a decent program, like FL or Ableton or Pro-Tools, etc.

If you look on the Image-line website, you can find an FL studio demo that is technically fully functional.  Maybe try that out first and see if it works for you?

http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html

I totally applaud your efforts though, and I'll try to help you find a program that works.

There is another program called Mixcraft that you would be able to obtain, it's basically an extremely simple version of FL studio.

Ok, if you're unfamiliar with torrents then I would recommend staying away from them.  

From what I've learned, proper dubstep can be extremely difficult and time consuming to make, which is one fo the reasons I don't personally make it myself.  

What people don't know is that "Wubs" are extreme automations of synth parameters, or LFO parameters.  You really won't be able to make those outside of a decent program, like FL or Ableton or Pro-Tools, etc.

If you look on the Image-line website, you can find an FL studio demo that is technically fully functional.  Maybe try that out first and see if it works for you?

http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html

I totally applaud your efforts though, and I'll try to help you find a program that works.

There is another program called Mixcraft that you would be able to obtain, it's basically an extremely simple version of FL studio.

That sounds easy enough :) Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! Good luck with your music making as well! I hope all goes well with mine

That sounds easy enough smile.png Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! Good luck with your music making as well! I hope all goes well with mine

Stay in touch, I'm always willing to help!  Good luck with your ventures!

Let me know when you start making music or have a track made and I'll check it out!

Stay in touch, I'm always willing to help!  Good luck with your ventures!

Let me know when you start making music or have a track made and I'll check it out!

Will do :) And if you have any tracks made and uploaded, you should totally link me to them and I'll check them out for you as well!

Will do smile.png And if you have any tracks made and uploaded, you should totally link me to them and I'll check them out for you as well!

Well there's always my soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/mcfragger

My youtube is on my channel as well if you want to check that out.

Muffins

Bananas

watermelon

(100 characters can be a lot)

Well there's always my soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/mcfragger

My youtube is on my channel as well if you want to check that out.

Muffins

Bananas

watermelon

(100 characters can be a lot)

Haha I know! And so far from what I heard on them, they sound amazing! Keep up the good work :) 

Wolves

Baboons 

Sloths

Derpy

Oi getting to 100 characters takes a bit

• Brohoof 1

Fl studio is one of the most popular and rather easy to crack but i wont get into too many specifics. It's the vst's which are the synths and effects which add to its usefulness. Nexus, Massive, Slyneth are all recommended.....

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
I use FL studio and I'd recommend that: I do have an article from an issue of either Future music or Computer music (don't remember which one) I've attached to this that might be helpful all about D.A.Ws smile.png

Edited by Asherdangerdash

I use FL studio and I'd recommend that: I do have an article from an issue of either Future music or Computer music (don't remember which one) I've attached to this that might be helpful all about D.A.Ws img-1542908-1-smile.png

None of those pictures appear to be loading correctly.  It could be my connection, but could you repost those pictures?

I'd like to read them.

None of those pictures appear to be loading correctly.  It could be my connection, but could you repost those pictures?

I'd like to read them.

Okey Dokey Lokey I'll try sending from my photobucket instead of the My Media thing and it might work better, hope it's useful to you :)

IMG_zpsa45a2720.jpg

IMG2_zps37624c6b.jpg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like making music to. Just started making it for the brony community,

(only got like 3 brony songs out onto the web)

But if your looking to do some epic remixes, i would advise:

Virtual DJ Home free : http://www.virtualdj.com/download/free.html

If your looking to create originals, youll obviously need a microphone and a few instruments.

Next youll need a sequencer to put it all together,

and if your just gonna use something simple to see what a generator can do, heres a link:

https://the.wubmachine.com/

HOPE THIS HELPS

If you wanna check out what i did useing Virtual DJ, heres a video for ya'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b16vYpfv-aw

Edited by RhythmDynamite

I know this has been posted quite a lot already, however, I would recommend both FL Studio, and Ableton Live. I know that deadmau5 used both in his time as a producer. FL Studio is quite handy for making synths, drum loops, and leads. However, Ableton Live is also quite useful in those aspects. I, personally, use both. FL Studio for creating external components, and Ableton Live for Composing the song and adding a bit of FX or extra components. Both are quite useful, and are unstoppable toghether. I noticed you aren't quite familiar with Torrents. I can recommend you a great torrent for Ableton. ChingLiu's Torrents for Ableton are great and have instuctions as well. I'd go to KickAss Torrents to download Torrents however. If you'd like anymore specificaitons, feel free to ask. Oh, also, if you have the money, I would get a Novation Launchpad. They're quite useful to actually Live Perform/Record.

<brohoof> 

I'm also quite eager to see what you can produce. derpy_emoticon1.png

Anybody know of any good programs I could maybe download for free or possibly buy cheaply? I'm kind of on a budget at the moment.

I suggest that you buy a software if you want to get the most out of it, and if you're torrenting a pirated software, you aren't necessarily going to get the best out of your DAW. Simply put from a fellow Brony musician.

I can't say much about Ableton or Reason, but I can say what I know on FL, Cubase, and Logic.

FL has an extremely simple interface and seems very ideal for beginners, as well as being good for experts as well, and having played with it for a few hours on another fellow musician's computer, it was indeed fun. However this is a Windows-only program, and if you're a Mac user, you can't use this (like me, I use a mac).

Cubase is one the oldest "industry standard" of the music softwares. It's probably one that I'm looking into considering that I've had Logic for 7 years and Apple still hasn't updated much since 2009. It's really powerful like FL and is a bit harder to learn than FL. Also, it's probably more CPU-RAM intensive than FL But Cubase works for both mac and PC. On my friend's computer, I've had a fun time, although I have to mention that it did crash twice in the two hours I played with it.

Logic is what I use. I can say it's Apple's flagship music software, and oh boy, it's vastly superior to what you know as Garageband X 10000000. It's easy to midi-edit, capable of audio-editing as well as Cubase, and runs great (when there are fewer instruments). However, as you hit more and more instruments, Logic can crash suddenly, but usually because the CPU or RAM is maxed out, and that differs from Cubase which it crashed for apparently no reason (Which isn't good either). Also note that Logic is probably the hardest to learn in the beginning, then it becomes as easy as Cubase as time goes on. Unfortunately Apple hasn't released a new update for years, but then again, that might be a good thing because of the creativity that's made (Many cinematic trailer music artists, DJs, Swiss House Mafia still exclusively use Logic).

Obviously this case might be biased because I used Logic, but I have tried out the basics of FL and Cubase, and you might actually like them. I certainly did. It's just that I find Logic most comfortable to work with, and try out the demos should you be given the chance.

• Brohoof 1

I suggest that you buy a software if you want to get the most out of it, and if you're torrenting a pirated software, you aren't necessarily going to get the best out of your DAW. Simply put from a fellow Brony musician.

I can't say much about Ableton or Reason, but I can say what I know on FL, Cubase, and Logic.

FL has an extremely simple interface and seems very ideal for beginners, as well as being good for experts as well, and having played with it for a few hours on another fellow musician's computer, it was indeed fun. However this is a Windows-only program, and if you're a Mac user, you can't use this (like me, I use a mac).

Cubase is one the oldest "industry standard" of the music softwares. It's probably one that I'm looking into considering that I've had Logic for 7 years and Apple still hasn't updated much since 2009. It's really powerful like FL and is a bit harder to learn than FL. Also, it's probably more CPU-RAM intensive than FL But Cubase works for both mac and PC. On my friend's computer, I've had a fun time, although I have to mention that it did crash twice in the two hours I played with it.

Logic is what I use. I can say it's Apple's flagship music software, and oh boy, it's vastly superior to what you know as Garageband X 10000000. It's easy to midi-edit, capable of audio-editing as well as Cubase, and runs great (when there are fewer instruments). However, as you hit more and more instruments, Logic can crash suddenly, but usually because the CPU or RAM is maxed out, and that differs from Cubase which it crashed for apparently no reason (Which isn't good either). Also note that Logic is probably the hardest to learn in the beginning, then it becomes as easy as Cubase as time goes on. Unfortunately Apple hasn't released a new update for years, but then again, that might be a good thing because of the creativity that's made (Many cinematic trailer music artists, DJs, Swiss House Mafia still exclusively use Logic).

Obviously this case might be biased because I used Logic, but I have tried out the basics of FL and Cubase, and you might actually like them. I certainly did. It's just that I find Logic most comfortable to work with, and try out the demos should you be given the chance.

I did try FL studio but it was so hard to learn the techniques with so little of variety. I currently have an HP Pavilion m6 laptop and it runs pretty good but I don't know if I can run Logic. Would that be possible or do you think I would have to find something else?

I did try FL studio but it was so hard to learn the techniques with so little of variety. I currently have an HP Pavilion m6 laptop and it runs pretty good but I don't know if I can run Logic. Would that be possible or do you think I would have to find something else?

I wanted to get Logic as well, but it's only on Mac OSX I believe, sorry. If you want, I can tell you how to get Ableton Live.

• Brohoof 1

That'd be sweet :) I would like to try that out and see if it works for me. Hopefully it does so I don't have to keep searching for something to use. I kind of want to do a little bit of Orchestral music too. Would I need to download torrents for that?

The DAW doesn't define the musician, it's how you use it, and frankly if you have a windows laptop, chances are that most of the programs I've stated are too strong, CPU or RAM intensive if you want to do serious music. FL studio should be the easiest to learn with the fact that it is easy to make drums (It was originally a drum-sequencer to begin with), and the other DAWs won't be any easier if you're not sufficient in one.

Also, Logic does not run on Windows, period. You might want to look more into FL Studio help if you're having trouble with FLs. Unfortunately, I'm not that proficient at FL, having only played around it for a few hours compared to the thousands of hours with Logic.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Another thing I would recommend is getting out there and learning a real instrument as well.  If you look at music producers who have real musician experience, and compare them to those who don't, you can tell the difference.
I realize not everybody has access to a real instrument. but even if it means buying a cheap MIDI piano and an instructional piano book.  Once you start producing serious music, the piano can be one of your best friends.

Edited by Level3rd

Another thing I would recommend is getting out there and learning a real instrument as well.  If you look at music producers who have real musician experience, and compare them to those who don't, you can tell the difference.

I realize not everybody has access to a real instrument. but even if it means buying a cheap MIDI piano and an instructional piano book.  Once you start producing serious music, the piano can be one of your best friends.

I've been playing a clarinet for the past 8 years and I am the best in my county (I got bragging rights :D) But with the music I want to do, that'll only help like maybe 5% if that. I know how to write music I just need more depth into it.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it depends on what genre you plan to make music of. It helps to know some rhytmic bases of music, but actual instrument playing doesn't take a huge part of you music affiliation, as long as you're using a computer to make music. The main part instruments take in music creation with computers, is recording. However, in Ableton, you can record yourself playing the flute, convert the audio into a MIDI clip, and then change it to what ever preset you like. Guitar, Piano, bass, even drums.

• Brohoof 1