Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Disrupt the balance of both worlds" is no excuse

Commander_PonyShep

You know, if the writers didn't create humanized doubles for Twilight's friends, they could've entered the mirror with Twilight without any risk of "disrupting the balance of two worlds" by interacting with their doubles, simply because they have no doubles to interact with.  That way, Twilight's friends retain their resourcefulness, even if it also means them adapting to the human world with her.

I don't know. I kind like the plot line of having the Human 5 like they were, former friends who drifted apart and then came together again because of Twilight. It hammers the point of the magic of friendship being being the same everywhere a lot better than the mane 6 helping a group of people whom we never met before.

Having all the mane 6 cross over also would have complicate the movie big time since we would need more plotlines about how all of them cope with being human. Just having Twilight crossing over kept the story simple and focused, which is a huge plus in a children's film.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

I don't know. I kind like the plot line of having the Human 5 like they were, former friends who drifted apart and then came together again because of Twilight. It hammers the point of the magic of friendship being being the same everywhere a lot better than the mane 6 helping a group of people whom we never met before.

Having all the mane 6 cross over also would have complicate the movie big time since we would need more plotlines about how all of them cope with being human. Just having Twilight crossing over kept the story simple and focused, which is a huge plus in a children's film.

But it also created an unintended side-effect, namely that her friends become the equivalent of the original supporting cast of Dragon Ball during the events of DBZ, or Chad, Orihime, and Uryu from Bleach during the Soul Society arc: Useless dead-weight who are there for the sake of it.

I like it when the companion characters help the hero fulfill whatever task is given to him.  But when they can't help him and end up becoming dead weight, you easily become confused as to why they were even introduced in the first place.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

But it also created an unintended side-effect, namely that her friends become the equivalent of the original supporting cast of Dragon Ball during the events of DBZ, or Chad, Orihime, and Uryu from Bleach during the Soul Society arc: Useless dead-weight who are there for the sake of it.

I like it when the companion characters help the hero fulfill whatever task is given to him. But when they can't help him and end up becoming dead weight, you easily become confused as to why they were even introduced in the first place.

Twilight's friends won't ever become "dead weight" IMHO. After all, Twilight knows she needs her friends to beat their best for her to be at her best. Twilight gets the center stage because she is the "spark" that's needed in the harmony of friendship. However, without the other elements, the spark means nothing.

Don't over think things because Twilight had to travel alone. Besides, even then she wouldn't have succeeded anyway without the Human 5 version of her friends.

• Brohoof 4

Twilight's friends won't ever become "dead weight" IMHO. After all, Twilight knows she needs her friends to beat their best for her to be at her best. Twilight gets the center stage because she is the "spark" that's needed in the harmony of friendship. However, without the other elements, the spark means nothing.

Don't over think things because Twilight had to travel alone. Besides, even then she wouldn't have succeeded anyway without the Human 5 version of her friends.

Except the Human 5 were not Twilight's friends.  They may look and act like them, and even share the same names as them.  But, there is no way in Hell they are Twilight's friends.

It's like in Bleach's Soul Society arc, where Ichigo's friends, including Chad, Orihime, and Uryu, are all deliberately replaced with Soul Reapers such as Renji Abarai, Toshiro Hitsugaya, and Kenpachi Zaraki, even though I don't care about any of those characters at all.  It's like DBZ, where anyone who wasn't a saiyan were dead weight.  I could go on, but you get my point.

It could've been Twilight's real friends who helped her save the day, not their cheap knock-off human counterparts.  In fact, when I saw the last thirteen minutes of the movie, I was surprised the other five main ponies didn't instantly feel like they were replaced by their human doubles, almost the same way Rarity felt replaced in the comics' second story-arc!

Except the Human 5 were not Twilight's friends. They may look and act like them, and even share the same names as them. But, there is no way in Hell they are Twilight's friends.

It's like in Bleach's Soul Society arc, where Ichigo's friends, including Chad, Orihime, and Uryu, are all deliberately replaced with Soul Reapers such as Renji Abarai, Toshiro Hitsugaya, and Kenpachi Zaraki, even though I don't care about any of those characters at all. It's like DBZ, where anyone who wasn't a saiyan were dead weight. I could go on, but you get my point.

It could've been Twilight's real friends who helped her save the day, not their cheap knock-off human counterparts. In fact, when I saw the last thirteen minutes of the movie, I was surprised the other five main ponies didn't instantly feel like they were replaced by their human doubles, almost the same way Rarity felt replaced in the comics' second story-arc!

I think you're missing an important point here. The human 5 ARE Twilight's friends, only a different version of them. It really wouldn't make much sense if the Pony 5 felt left out since the human 5 is really just themselves on two legs. Why would Rarity be worried like she was in the comic over the prospect of being replaced by... Rarity? Hands or hooves, it's still Rarity. So the comic comparison doesn't really work here IMHO

(edited)

I think you're missing an important point here. The human 5 ARE Twilight's friends, only a different version of them. It really wouldn't make much sense if the Pony 5 felt left out since the human 5 is really just themselves on two legs. Why would Rarity be worried like she was in the comic over the prospect of being replaced by... Rarity? Hands or hooves, it's still Rarity. So the comic comparison doesn't really work here IMHO

But those five humans also have no memories of Twilight Sparkle like their pony counterparts.  They only have memories of their lives as humans, despite sharing similar looks and personalities to their ponified selves.  If they did remember Twilight when she entered their school, it would've been because they actually followed her to the mirror, which they didn't.

If the human five have no previous memories of Twilight before meeting her in school, then that means they aren't her friends, not even closely.

I think this comic explains everything: http://loceri.deviantart.com/art/MLP-Long-Goodbyes-378903316

You're assuming that the human alternates are replacing the originals. Try this theory on for size:

Pony Twilight crossing over was the catalyst to get the alternates to begin to bond. To kickstart the process so when the actual human Twilight alternate shows up at the school in full she will find a group of friends ready to invite her to join them.

Pony Twilight wasn't cheating on her friends, she was 'paying forward' as the phrase goes. Setting things up to make things a little easier for her own alternate. Given that she knows how rough it was for her to make that leap back in the first episode of season 1. Basically making sure that this alternate universe will have it's own Main 6.

• Brohoof 3

I think it is not an excuse at all, but Twilight's friends thought that if they interact with their human counterparts that it would alter not only the two alternate universes but it could change their existence from their universe and their counterpart universe.

I saw the last thirteen minutes of the movie

And there is your problem.

You only saw the end. You have no context of what happened earlier in the movie in order to understand why things happened the way they did.

Maybe if you saw the movie you wouldn't change your mind about preferring Twilight's pony friends over Twilight's human friends. But at least you would probably understand that having another version of Twilight's friends made things very interesting, and gave us a new dimension of these characters as a whole, even if it wasn't the pony counterparts who experienced what they did.

• Brohoof 2

You're assuming that the human alternates are replacing the originals. Try this theory on for size:

Pony Twilight crossing over was the catalyst to get the alternates to begin to bond. To kickstart the process so when the actual human Twilight alternate shows up at the school in full she will find a group of friends ready to invite her to join them.

Pony Twilight wasn't cheating on her friends, she was 'paying forward' as the phrase goes. Setting things up to make things a little easier for her own alternate. Given that she knows how rough it was for her to make that leap back in the first episode of season 1. Basically making sure that this alternate universe will have it's own Main 6.

How do you even know Twilight had a human counterpart in the human world?  Not only that, but you've made it sound like Equestria Girls will get its own spin-off show, and that the movie was just the pilot.

(edited)

How do you even know Twilight had a human counterpart in the human world? Not only that, but you've made it sound like Equestria Girls will get its own spin-off show, and that the movie was just the pilot.

Maybe it will become a spinoff. The Hub is showing it in the fall, which means nothing, and I'd not expect it to become a show until MLP:FIM is off the air, but it could happen.

For whatever reason, other than the one presented in the plot, the writers decided to have Twilight be the only one, except for spike, to enter the mirror. I'm not sure why except they wanted to recycle the fish-out-of-water and new-pony-in-town memes from the 1-1 pilot episode. It's almost like they wanted Twilight to relive her experience coming to Ponyville the first time, except that she isn't the same Twilight, since she grew up and changed. Perhaps she needed to experience fiting in again to help Sunset Shimmer, or to help the her human friends reconnect and become the elements in that world. Maybe the idea is that Sunset will grow into the Twilight role in that world.

Edited by Nature Spell

Maybe it will become a spinoff. The Hub is showing it in the fall, which means nothing, and I'd not expect it to become a show until MLP:FIM is off the air, but it could happen.

For whatever reason, other than the one presented in the plot, the writers decided to have Twilight be the only one, except for spike, to enter the mirror. I'm not sure why except they wanted to recycle the fish-out-of-water and new-pony-in-town memes from the 1-1 pilot episode. It's almost like they wanted Twilight to relive her experience coming to Ponyville the first time, except that she isn't the same Twilight, since she grew up and changed. Perhaps she needed to experience fiting in again to help Sunset Shimmer, or to help the her human friends reconnect and become the elements in that world. Maybe the idea is that Sunset will grow into the Twilight role in that world.

It still does not explain how you know Twilight had a human counterpart. Was said counterpart mentioned in the film, or was it on a hunch?

How do you even know Twilight had a human counterpart in the human world? Not only that, but you've made it sound like Equestria Girls will get its own spin-off show, and that the movie was just the pilot.

Because, if you saw THE ENTIRE MOVIE, you would know that Pinkie Pie asks Twilight if she has a twin and a dog that looks exactly like Spike. We don't get to see them (alternate Twilight probably is homeschooled, or goes to an elite prep school), but Pinkie Pie's Pinkie Sense is never wrong.

I think that people who did not see the whole movie need to stop debating about the movie. Seriously.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Because, if you saw THE ENTIRE MOVIE, you would know that Pinkie Pie asks Twilight if she has a twin and a dog that looks exactly like Spike. We don't get to see them (alternate Twilight probably is homeschooled, or goes to an elite prep school), but Pinkie Pie's Pinkie Sense is never wrong.

I think that people who did not see the whole movie need to stop debating about the movie. Seriously.

I do not think that was what human Pinkie meant. This was the first time she met her, and only asked on a hunch if she had a twin.

But back on topic, I hope that, for the S4 premiere, they give Twilight's pony friends compensation for being substituted by their human counterparts. Perhaps, it'll be about Twilight thinking that as an alicorn, her magic received a dramatic boost. She tries to save the world on her own as a result, but fails because she realizes that her magical output is still the same, despite her becoming an alicorn. Then, when all hope seems lost, her friends arrive to rescue her, as well as teach her that even as an alicorn, she wouldn't be as powerful alone as she would be with her friends.

I hope to holy Celestia that becomes a plotline for the S4 premiere, because I would've been disappointed if it doesn't.

• Brohoof 1

I do not think that was what human Pinkie meant. This was the first time she met her, and only asked on a hunch if she had a twin.

But back on topic, I hope that, for the S4 premiere, they give Twilight's pony friends compensation for being substituted by their human counterparts. Perhaps, it'll be about Twilight thinking that as an alicorn, her magic received a dramatic boost. She tries to save the world on her own as a result, but fails because she realizes that her magical output is still the same, despite her becoming an alicorn. Then, when all hope seems lost, her friends arrive to rescue her, as well as teach her that even as an alicorn, she wouldn't be as powerful alone as she would be with her friends.

I hope to holy Celestia that becomes a plotline for the S4 premiere, because I would've been disappointed if it doesn't.

Ok, I think you're over thinking all this. For starters, the Pony 5 were NOT replaced. If Twilight became friends with anyone else, maybe. But nope, she became friends with Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie. Not only that, but she fixed the human 5's friendship after they stopped talking to one another. If anything, the pony 5 would be sad knowing that they had drifted apart in the human world like that and would most likely thank Twilight for getting their human selves back together.

Secondly, like I noted before, the movie itself would have become too needlessly complicated if all of them crossed over, because then you'll need to spend too much time on how everypony is adjusting to the human world, and that's not the point of the movie. The point of the movie is that friendship never changes and the best way to do that in this new, bizzare world was to go back to the beginning, the pony/human 5 coming together to help out the newcomer Twilight Sparkle. The twist is that while the pony 5 might have been friends before Twilight came to town, the human 5 were on icy terms before Twilight crossed over. However, in both cases, their friendship wound up saving the day. In Twilight's case in fact, her magic would probably be stronger now after seeing for herself that the magic of friendship is everywhere.

TL;DR - the pony 5 won't get upset with Twilight for making friends with their human counterparts and getting them back together. Besides, the movie was just fine with Twilight and Spike making the jump. No need to complicated it more by having the other 5 in the human world too.

• Brohoof 2

The movie isn't not supposed to crossover anyway so why does this matter? Commander-ponyshep you really need to keep an open mind and enjoy the movie and season 4 as is or your bound to be disappointed. We never get all we want from any entertainment that's just reality. We can discuss the why, but we can't really out think the writers.

• Brohoof 1

How do you even know Twilight had a human counterpart in the human world?  Not only that, but you've made it sound like Equestria Girls will get its own spin-off show, and that the movie was just the pilot.

This is why trying to analyze a movie that you've only seen a bootleg of the last couple of minutes of and have read a couple of reviews doesn't actually work. You're making assumptions mainly based on other people's opinions rather than on first-hand evidence.

Yes, Hasbro has actually said that 'Equestria Girls' is a new IP that they will continue in some way *providing* the initial response to the movie is good. This used to be a standard practice for new series, do a one-off episode or movie and gauge reaction before spending the money to spin up an entire series. Usually the series incorporates changes gathered from audience feedback from the 'pilot'. See the TV movie 'Nick Knight' becoming the series 'Forever Knight', with the setting changing from LA to Toronto, the main actor changing, but the *concept*, and some of the supporting actors, remaining the same.

But yes, in the movie there is evidence that Twilight has her own alternate, and this alt-Twi is just conveniently not around at the moment in order for the story to work. If Hasbro does go forward with the spin-off, possibly as an intermittent series of 'TV Movies' rather than a full-blown series, I'd expect the first one will be alt-Twilight showing up in full and having a sub-plot around being upset because she's 'being a replacement' for this mysterious prior Twilight that she's never seen.

• Brohoof 2

This is why trying to analyze a movie that you've only seen a bootleg of the last couple of minutes of and have read a couple of reviews doesn't actually work. You're making assumptions mainly based on other people's opinions rather than on first-hand evidence.

Yes, Hasbro has actually said that 'Equestria Girls' is a new IP that they will continue in some way *providing* the initial response to the movie is good. This used to be a standard practice for new series, do a one-off episode or movie and gauge reaction before spending the money to spin up an entire series. Usually the series incorporates changes gathered from audience feedback from the 'pilot'. See the TV movie 'Nick Knight' becoming the series 'Forever Knight', with the setting changing from LA to Toronto, the main actor changing, but the *concept*, and some of the supporting actors, remaining the same.

But yes, in the movie there is evidence that Twilight has her own alternate, and this alt-Twi is just conveniently not around at the moment in order for the story to work. If Hasbro does go forward with the spin-off, possibly as an intermittent series of 'TV Movies' rather than a full-blown series, I'd expect the first one will be alt-Twilight showing up in full and having a sub-plot around being upset because she's 'being a replacement' for this mysterious prior Twilight that she's never seen.

The only evidence I could find that alt-Twilight was in the human world the whole time was Human Pinkie asking Twilight if she had a twin.  Unfortunately, I don't see how this is evidence, because I believe this was Human Pinkie's first time meeting Twilight.

Were there any other pieces of evidence that proved Twilight had a human double?  If so, what were they?

The only evidence I could find that alt-Twilight was in the human world the whole time was Human Pinkie asking Twilight if she had a twin.  Unfortunately, I don't see how this is evidence, because I believe this was Human Pinkie's first time meeting Twilight.

Were there any other pieces of evidence that proved Twilight had a human double?  If so, what were they?

Sorry, I'm not going to facilitate this any further. You seem to have constructed your own version of the movie in your head out of clips, bootlegs, reviews, and what others have said about it whether or not they've seen the movie.

Because of this, the mental movie you've built up seems to have become tainted. Just like your first reaction to Princess Twilight; you're so worried about her leaving her friends that everything you see or hear you are interpreting to mean that Twilight's leaving them behind, or being forced to leave them. You're not seeing a problem, you're *manufacturing* one. You can't seem to process alternate ideas, demanding detailed proof of anything that contradicts the mental movie you've made. Ideas such as Twilight seeing these analogs of her friends, and wanting them to be just as happy and experiencing the magic of friendship as the ones she knows, giving them a bit of a boost on that path while she's in the area. 

If this is the way you want to be about it, that's up to you. But it's a miserable way to live, and I'm not going to help you be that way by feeding the problem. So I'm just going to say that you need to see the movie for yourself, and I'm out of here.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Sorry, I'm not going to facilitate this any further. You seem to have constructed your own version of the movie in your head out of clips, bootlegs, reviews, and what others have said about it whether or not they've seen the movie.

Because of this, the mental movie you've built up seems to have become tainted. Just like your first reaction to Princess Twilight; you're so worried about her leaving her friends that everything you see or hear you are interpreting to mean that Twilight's leaving them behind, or being forced to leave them. You're not seeing a problem, you're *manufacturing* one. You can't seem to process alternate ideas, demanding detailed proof of anything that contradicts the mental movie you've made. Ideas such as Twilight seeing these analogs of her friends, and wanting them to be just as happy and experiencing the magic of friendship as the ones she knows, giving them a bit of a boost on that path while she's in the area. 

If this is the way you want to be about it, that's up to you. But it's a miserable way to live, and I'm not going to help you be that way by feeding the problem. So I'm just going to say that you need to see the movie for yourself, and I'm out of here.

Dude.  I have questions, and I don't want to bother watching the movie just to get my answers.  I'm used to spoilers, because they're quicker, more convenient, and more cost-efficient than seeing the story for myself.

And, there is no way Human Pinkie asking if Twilight had a twin is evidence that there was another Twilight in the human world.  This was Human Pinkie's first time meeting Twilight, and she asked on a hunch if she had a twin.

And besides, I read a summary of the whole film on the MLP wiki: Twilight enters the human world to recover her stolen crown.  She becomes a human and unites five humans resembling her friends to win the crown in a prom queen pageant.  Sunset stops at nothing to sabotage Twilight's chances of winning by taking pictures of her adjusting to her new life as a human, and unfortunately they were stopped by Twilight's friends every step of the way.  Twilight wins the crown anyway, but then it gets stolen by Sunset, who puts it on and turns into a demon, before Twilight and her humanized friends used a friendship-powered rainbow of light to turn her back to normal.  Twilight regains the crown, does that dance from Sweet and Elite with Flash Sentry, and returns home to tell her friends about everything she experienced.

You know, I think I'm going to invoke an old phrase from one of my favorite tv shows to this argument.

"Just repeat to yourself, it's just a show. I should really just relax"

No matter what problems it has, Equestria girls is still a fun 70 minute movie and that's what counts.

• Brohoof 3

I have another problem with this whole "disrupt the balance of both worlds" thing, and that's the way it wasn't specific enough.

My mother's a fan of science fiction, so I asked her about what might happen if a person entered another dimension and interacted with his alternate self.  She said doing so would tear up the fabric of space-time and destroy all of existence.  So technically, had Twilight brought her friends and they interacted with their human doubles, it could've ripped apart the space-time fabric as well.

Is this correct, though?

Again Ponyshep, you are thinking FAAAAAAAR too deep into this. You have not seen the whole movie, so you cannot make any accurate assumption. I have not seen the movie at all, so I am not making any concrete assumptions.

The fact of the matter is, this movie is a spin off. It has no effect on the actual FiM and that has been confirmed by Meghan herself. So, even if her friends seem 'less important' in it, WHO CARES. That is essential to the plot as far as I know. Even if they seem less important in the movie, it will not affect the actual characters in the original series. Twilight is also not replacing her friends. Again, as far as I know, her becoming friends with the alternate versions is just essential to the plot. I actually find it to be a good idea. Twilight has to use what she has learned to befriend the alternate versions of her friends. I am unsure if that is exactly what happens, but it is a good idea nonetheless.

You conveniently ignore posts made by others as well. Seriously, just chill the f*ck out and enjoy the show and the movie. Look forward to season 4 for once instead making all of these incredibly over complicated calculations. I am worried about one thing in season 4 myself but I am not making topic after topic about it.

• Brohoof 1

I am scratching my head as to why you do not care to see the movie yourself, yet you are spending time and energy online trying to analyze this movie that you are too lazy to see. It has been said before, but it bears repeating until you stop asking questions and making complaints: spoilers, bootlegs, and reviews do not equal you having seen the movie. So stop pretending that you have seen it.