Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Disrupt the balance of both worlds" is no excuse

Commander_PonyShep

My mother's a fan of science fiction, so I asked her about what might happen if a person entered another dimension and interacted with his alternate self.  She said doing so would tear up the fabric of space-time and destroy all of existence.  So technically, had Twilight brought her friends and they interacted with their human doubles, it could've ripped apart the space-time fabric as well.

Is this correct, though?

This is just a science fiction trope to generate tension. "Oh no! Can X avoid meeting his alternate self? Or will the universe be torn asunder!?" It's right up there with "You must do this alone" as a baseless story element. They are both really common, but it's more to avoid difficult writing than for any real reason.

Since they are going this route, I would've been happier if they'd shown it was impossible for the others to pass rather than just telling us. Celestia makes a big speech about how dangerous Sunset is and how vital getting that crown back is for the sake of Equestria. So she and Luna and Shining Armor and the Mane Six all get loaded for bear to take on the unknown threats beyond the mirror. But they can't go through because they already exist on the other side. They realize that must have been part of Sunset's plan; she doesn't fear being followed because nobody can follow her. Except Twilight. After some (figurative) nail-biting, Twilight psyches herself up into going after Sunset alone. This whole scene would build-up Sunset's villain credentials and make Twilight's plunge to Humanworld come across as a personal choice, rather than just her being told to.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I just hope that Season 4's premiere heavily compensates for Twilight's real friends' absences in the Equestria Girls film.  For the S4 premiere, they need to set up a situation that has Twilight realize that she still needs her friends to help her, even with alicorn wings.  If they don't and Twilight ends up resorting to something else other than her friends, like in A Canterlot Wedding (Shining and Cadence), The Crystal Empire (Spike), and Equestria Girls (the Human Five), then I'll be sorely disappointed.

After all, I remember them being useful in the book, Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell.  Yes, the help they gave her in that book was in the form of advice on how to lead Equestria, from Pinkie's Cake Day to Rarity's kingdom fashions.  No Elements of Harmony to summon a Rainbow of Light, or help in saving Equestria from another evil threat.  But at least it was something!  Equestria Girls?  If the Human Five are Dragon Ball Z's Vegeta, then the Pony Five would be the original cast of Dragon Ball, all of whom would get deliberately tossed to the wayside for Vegeta in DBZ!  And yes, I'd compare Equestria Girls with Dragon Ball Z's unbalanced cast of characters.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

While they did come at it fairly interestingly, I would have liked it more if the Mane 6 had all gone through the mirror. However, it would negate the effect of having dedicated people in the human world who would be okay with her oddities until she had adjusted to it. Instead, all of her friends would be having the same troubles that she is. A group of friends like that, would have needed a proportionately larger group to help them adjust. And a group of 35 friends wouldn't work out very well.

Yea that would be pretty cool seeing how the rest of the 5 would react being turned into humans, And honestly it was slightly disappointing finding out that the rest of the 5 couldn't enter the human world, Although I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus ya never know they could (depending on the ratings of equestra girls) make a spinoff show where the mane 6 actually commute back an fourth between worlds while making normal mlp episodes. But all in all I actually loved the movie the way it is, And loved seeing alternate human versions of the mane 5.

• Brohoof 1

For the S4 premiere, they need to set up a situation that has Twilight realize that she still needs her friends to help her, even with alicorn wings.

I would like to see this. I feel very strongly that a good opening plot involving Princess Twilight would have her try to live up her idealized concept of Celestia. That just as her mentor is a powerful, self-contained guardian, so should she be. (Insert aspirational song here) So she starts deliberately isolating herself and eventually decides to go solo against some danger or challenge. She gets in way over her head and needs her friends to bail her out.

• Brohoof 1