Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you sometimes feel your posts don't matter?

Away

(edited)

Do you ever feel like your posts in some threads don't matter? Like if someone will even read or care about what you have to say. Not just in threads but like in messages and statuses too. Admittedly, I feel this way sometimes. :( Anyone else?

Edited by LatinoChurro
  • Brohoof 28

I treat my posts and my threads as if they are like my children. My insane, mad little children that I hope get into everypony's things and let me know what they are hiding!

So...yes. I guess I do. It is nice knowing other ponies are reading and going over your thoughts ^_^

• Brohoof 4

I have the same feeling as you in this whole matter. Sometimes it feels like some people skim what I write and move on. I do admit that I may write more than I should at times, but still. If someone agrees with what I post, then I think my posts matter. But if no-one brohoof's my comment, responds back to me in a message or comments on my status, I think people care less in what I have to say.

• Brohoof 8

I have the same feeling as you in this whole matter. Sometimes it feels like some people skim what I write and move on. I do admit that I may write more than I should at times, but still. If someone agrees with what I post, then I think my posts matter. But if no-one brohoof's my comment, responds back to me in a message or comments on my status, I think people care less in what I have to say.

I feel the exact same way. I always message people back when they message me. And I always say goodbye instead of just leaving the conversation because I think that's rude (unless it's an emergency).

• Brohoof 6

I feel the exact same way. I always message people back when they message me. And I always say goodbye instead of just leaving the conversation because I think that's rude (unless it's an emergency).

I'm a rather fast typer, so when there is an emergency I let the person know immediately. But, yeah, I actually have several conversations where the other just abandoned me; I can understand the power shutting off, or an emergency, but still.  

• Brohoof 4

I definitely get a discouraging feeling sometimes that people just look at the text I put and keep browsing down. There are so many of us here, and there simply isn't enough time to thoroughly read and think about everybody's posts. That's one of the reasons why brohoofs and quotes feel good, I guess. It makes you happy knowing somebody took the time to read what you had to say and liked it. It's a guarantee that somebody acknowledged your post. I like to think that my forum posts matter, but yeah sometimes it's hard to believe in that. I think it's a pretty common feeling, especially on such a popular Internet forum. I'll keep posting though, since I wanna get my word in for certain topics. That way, my posts will always be available to read for those who are willing to read them. smile.png

• Brohoof 10

(edited)

I'm a rather fast typer, so when there is an emergency I let the person know immediately. But, yeah, I actually have several conversations where the other just abandoned me; I can understand the power shutting off, or an emergency, but still.

Yeah it ticks me off too. I mean, they just leave you hanging. I'll understand if they don't have enough time to type goodbye or whatever but other than that, it just bothers me.

I definitely get a discouraging feeling sometimes that people just look at the text I put and keep browsing down. There are so many of us here, and there simply isn't enough time to thoroughly read and think about everybody's posts. That's one of the reasons why brohoofs and quotes feel good, I guess. It makes you happy knowing somebody took the time to read what you had to say and liked it. It's a guarantee that somebody acknowledged your post. I like to think that my forum posts matter, but yeah sometimes it's hard to believe in that. I think it's a pretty common feeling, especially on such a popular Internet forum. I'll keep posting though, since I wanna get my word in for certain topics. That way, my posts will always be available to read for those who are willing to read them. img-1598522-1-smile.png

Agreed!

Edited by LatinoChurro
  • Brohoof 4

You know....I had similar thoughts to this a couple months ago.

Except it wasn't "Do my posts matter?", it was "Does my life matter?"

But, because of inspiration by my friends online, I was able to answer this question with a firm and resounding yes. In fact...the philosophy I used to solve this question was derived almost entirely from experiences I'd had online, and what I made of them.

Quite a few posts on some online forum showed me that life has meaning, and in my humble opinion, that matters a lot. At least, it matters to me.

• Brohoof 3

I feel like, even if they're in Cloudsdale, your posts always matter. For all you know, someone read it; and if it contributes to the conversation, that's good.

• Brohoof 3

Do you ever feel like your posts in some threads don't matter? Like if someone will even read or care about what you have to say. Not just in threads but like in messages and statuses too. Admittedly, I feel this way sometimes. sad.png Anyone else?

I know I'm new here (Hello to anyone that hasn't met me yet! ^^), but I get that feeling too sometimes. Not just because it feels pretty awkward right now being a muffin and most of you that have replied so far to this topic are butterflies ._.

Um... right, where was I? Oh yes. Well, even on other forums I've been on I felt the same way. Typically because I tend to have a habit of writing long posts. It just happens. I'll start off with a thought, and then suddenly I have other thoughts I want to add, and so on, and by the the time I'm finished, holy wall-of-text!

On here, I don't really expect to be noticed much. Not just yet, anyway. I am new, after all, and I need to establish myself first, I guess. But let me tell you, you have no idea (or maybe some idea) how happy I get when someone brohoofs a post I've made, or responds to me in some fashion. Either by quoting me, adding me as a friend, commenting on a status, or engaging in a conversation with me via said status. Little things like that make me happy.

I don't know if that sounds sad, or not, but truly small things like that make me happy. X3

I also understand it can be difficult to read every single post, especially in very popular, fast-moving topics, or if you have people like myself posting walls. tongue.png Despite that, I try to read quite a few posts to a topic before I respond.

It's like fimdash said, "It makes you happy knowing somebody took the time to read what you had to say and liked it. It's a guarantee that somebody acknowledged your post."

• Brohoof 4

I know I'm new here (Hello to anyone that hasn't met me yet! ^^), but I get that feeling too sometimes. Not just because it feels pretty awkward right now being a muffin and most of you that have replied so far to this topic are butterflies ._.

Um... right, where was I? Oh yes. Well, even on other forums I've been on I felt the same way. Typically because I tend to have a habit of writing long posts. It just happens. I'll start off with a thought, and then suddenly I have other thoughts I want to add, and so on, and by the the time I'm finished, holy wall-of-text!

On here, I don't really expect to be noticed much. Not just yet, anyway. I am new, after all, and I need to establish myself first, I guess. But let me tell you, you have no idea (or maybe some idea) how happy I get when someone brohoofs a post I've made, or responds to me in some fashion. Either by quoting me, adding me as a friend, commenting on a status, or engaging in a conversation with me via said status. Little things like that make me happy.

I don't know if that sounds sad, or not, but truly small things like that make me happy. X3

I also understand it can be difficult to read every single post, especially in very popular, fast-moving topics, or if you have people like myself posting walls. :P Despite that, I try to read quite a few posts to a topic before I respond.

It's like fimdash said, "It makes you happy knowing somebody took the time to read what you had to say and liked it. It's a guarantee that somebody acknowledged your post."

I completely agree! :) What I do sometimes when I type a lot of stuff is I'll break it up into paragraphs or whatever to make it look more "appealing" I guess lol

• Brohoof 3

I completely agree! smile.png What I do sometimes when I type a lot of stuff is I'll break it up into paragraphs or whatever to make it look more "appealing" I guess lol

Oh, definitely! I'll break my wall in to... smaller walls? I mean paragraphs. Like I did just now. ^^

How bad would that have looked all bunched up together? ohmy.png

• Brohoof 2

Yes. Especially when I start a topic or post something and then later someone simply repeats or summarizes what I already said and he/she gets quoted or brohoofed and not me. That means another one gets the feedback for what I brought up first. I don't care if my opinion is popular, but if it's popular and another one gains the laurels for it, I just feel pranked.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Sometimes, but not typically. I don't worry about silly things like whether or not my posts are being acknowledged by a mass of people. Even if one of my posts were to be dismissed, it still feels kinda good to a thought out of your head, y'know?

With statuses, however, I kind of feel an incomprehensible feeling of stupidity when one of my statuses is completely bypassed. I'm not sure why. I don't want to feel this way about myself img-1598575-1-sad.png  

Edited by Keiichi
  • Brohoof 3

I sometimes feel that my posts don't matter, but I'm actually okay with it. I prefer them not being that important since I like to stay in the dark somewhat.

• Brohoof 2

Mostly yes, but that is mainly because my opinion is not all too important. It seems like most of what I post does not really enhance the conversation in any way, just moves it along at almost no pace. In a nutshell, I am quite boring most of the time. If what I post is ignored, it is probably for a good reason.

I bet if I start doing THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, my posts would be noticed every time, even the really boring ones.

• Brohoof 6

I think it's actually a common feeling on ANY forum all across the internet and in chat rooms to feel "ignored". It's just the nature of the online world. People often read and dont' know what to say, or can't be bothered replying or saying bye before they leave etc. but it's actually no reflection on you at all. Doesn't mean your posts were boring, or not important, or that you were overlooked. It just IS that way. Or maybe it's that you're in a different time zone than most others, or that your post gets lost underneath the scroll of other posts.

I try not to take it personal. People will either like me, or not like me. They will either read and reply to my posts, nor not read them. Either way, I'm still me and still very secure in who I am. I don't need other people to validate my existence. It's nice to get replies or brohoof's etc. but if you post with out high expectations of response, you are less likely to get disappointed.

I know it's a crap feeling, and you're not wrong to feel it. The best way to deal with it is to change the way you think about things and lower your expectations, even down to Zero if necessary.

Hope that helps.

Mikestar

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

You shouldn't feel bad in the slightest! Posts aren't like a chair that you have carved out of a tree trunk and worked on for days to a week. Hell I just came up with this one after 3 minutes. There are sooooo many comments that it is only human to skim through them sometimes. Just get the satisfaction that you said something among comrades, with receiving replies or broohooves being the icing on the cake.

And now for something completely different:

Edited by Party Cannon
  • Brohoof 3

Do you ever feel like your posts in some threads don't matter? Like if someone will even read or care about what you have to say. Not just in threads but like in messages and statuses too. Admittedly, I feel this way sometimes. sad.png Anyone else?

It took me a few seconds to decide if it was worth the time to reply to this question.  Still...you made me think.  Although I don't generally care if my posts or statuses are acknowledged, it's important for me to remember that other people do care.  Some people care a great deal.  

I'm glad you made this thread...you have reminded me to be better about checking the status updates of my friends on this board.  So....thank you. *big hug!*

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, me too. Not to brag, but sometimes I feel that my topis are alot more interesting than the ones recently put up, and they still get less comments and likes. So yes, I feel they don't matter so now I barely put any up. They either get discriminated with assholes, or I get highly discouraged when I see a reply to it only to find it's an moderator of sorts telling me it's in the wrong category. :(
I also feel we should be a little more free with our posts, even if the same topic was brought up.

• Brohoof 3

Mostly yes, but that is mainly because my opinion is not all too important. It seems like most of what I post does not really enhance the conversation in any way, just moves it along at almost no pace. In a nutshell, I am quite boring most of the time. If what I post is ignored, it is probably for a good reason.

I bet if I start doing THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, my posts would be noticed every time, even the really boring ones.

Ah, why the pessimism? I actually catch myself reading your posts quite often. I'm not just saying that btw. Really, your posts are pretty interesting/thought-provoking.

• Brohoof 3

Ah, why the pessimism? I actually catch myself reading your posts quite often. I'm not just saying that btw. Really, your posts are pretty interesting/thought-provoking.

Once you get to know me, you will learn that I am quite the negative...person...something, but mainly to myself. I am able to be positive about so many other things, but when it comes to me, nope. :P 

It is nice to see that my posts matter somewhat to someone though. yay.png

• Brohoof 3

I'm Evilshy. Everything I say matters.

Recently, I've been lurking more, and only posting if I really have something to say (I mean, I've always done this, but recently, I've been more picky about whether or not what I want to say is worth posting). There are numerous times where I'll begin to type out a post, then decide it's not good enough to post and delete it. If I have an idea but am having a hard time putting it into words, I'll leave the tab open and go do something else until I can think of a way to do it. In a few rare cases, I've started a post, left, and come back to finish it an hour later. I almost never start threads for similar reason; I never seem to think any discussion I might want to start is worth it, so I either just think about and research it myself, or I'll find a discussion on it someplace (either on this forum or somewhere else) and lurk it.

This usually results in me having a better opinion of what I post, and I know that even if I don't get brohoofs or people quoting me, at least a few of you still read it.

• Brohoof 7

Honestly? Yeah, sometimes, especially if I'm posting at the bottom of a page or in a large thread. It's really the nature of the Internet rather than anyone's fault, however. With so many people, and in such an impersonal environment, it's easy to see why people would skim or skip. For this reason, I try to give brohoofs to people who have taken the thought and effort to write a meaningful post. It's the least I can do to show them that I acknowledge and appreciate their thoughts.

• Brohoof 7

My posts are an extension of my mind, if people take the time to read through the typos on my phone some of it can be deep, but seriously i feel people dont take me seriously cause of my name and thats fine cause DaReaper is here to stay

• Brohoof 3