Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you sometimes feel your posts don't matter?

Away

Yeah, I haven't been a member of a forum where I felt like I mattered in quite some time. All of the forums I'm on these days I'm almost at lurking status and really almost feel bad for posting in topics like I'm actually an active member of a forum.

Oh well... It's better that way, I suppose, as fewer people will miss me when the inevitable happens and I'm gone.

• Brohoof 2

At first I did because this forum is bigger than what I usually use and I felt like my posts would get most in the middle of everything.  But, when I started noticing myself getting brohoofs and getting quoted, and my little post number picture upgrading, I no longer felt that way.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Eh, sometimes, I don't actually post much outside of Cloudsdale. I mostly lurk. But I usually don't bother posting in a thread if everyone is saying basically the same thing that I'm about to. That might be what saves me from feeling like that a lot.

I do most of my posting in Cloudsdale Colosseum, so at the very least I know people are reading my posts there because they kinda have to in order for the games to work properly.

Edited by Jalaton
  • Brohoof 2

Ehh... Sometimes I feel that way when I post a status and no one replies... but honestly that doesn't usually happen. With posts, I feel like someone's reading them, no matter what. So yeah... brohoofs are much appreciated when I've added something meaningful to the conversation, so I know I've gotten my point across to at least one person.

• Brohoof 2

I do. I sometimes think I sound stupid when I post something. My English is bad, and sometimes it makes it hard to get people understanding me, and I feel like I can not properly express what I really want to say. Is only because I find it hard to say what I really want to say. I want to sores myself. Like, in some situations I post somehtinging about a topic or subject I care strongly about, but I read it over and the English not great, and I feel like I say everything wrong....is really annoying. One of the few reasons why I dislike learning new languages. I find hard time understanding English sometimes.

• Brohoof 5

I don't really feel that my posts don't matter. Some people on the forums feel that way but, there will come a time where your posts might be very detailed and interesting but people don't reply to them. It is not that important or that big of a deal unless, you feel that nobody cares about your opinion. We care about your opinions, so it would be better not to take it too seriously.

• Brohoof 4

I'm Evilshy. Everything I say matters.

Recently, I've been lurking more, and only posting if I really have something to say (I mean, I've always done this, but recently, I've been more picky about whether or not what I want to say is worth posting). There are numerous times where I'll begin to type out a post, then decide it's not good enough to post and delete it. If I have an idea but am having a hard time putting it into words, I'll leave the tab open and go do something else until I can think of a way to do it. In a few rare cases, I've started a post, left, and come back to finish it an hour later. I almost never start threads for similar reason; I never seem to think any discussion I might want to start is worth it, so I either just think about and research it myself, or I'll find a discussion on it someplace (either on this forum or somewhere else) and lurk it.

This usually results in me having a better opinion of what I post, and I know that even if I don't get brohoofs or people quoting me, at least a few of you still read it.

This^^

Back when I started out here, I used to get a ton of posts in (though most of them were roleplay posts) and I kinda figured my posts wouldn't matter too much until I got to be a higher rank, because I would always notice the more veteran members (like @Crispy, @Doctor XFizzle, @Evilshy, and a few other members that are now inactive. (I miss them) Though Evilshy's posts were usually huge and daunting XP ). And at some points, I was pretty narcissistic and thought I was one of the VIMs (Very Important Members). Other times I felt like there was really no point in me posting anything at all.

And in the roleplay world, what really ticks me off is sometimes people just don't thoroughly read through other peoples' posts. It's not when they're not interacting with the people that's the problem, but it's when they're directly interacting with people. Most people don't even follow the topics anymore, which means they can miss tons of posts completely and not even know it. Like, seriously? That's what the damn follow button is for!

And for everyone who posted before me in this topic, you should know I read all of your posts

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I got a notification and I was like, "Wuh?  I don't remember this thread.  Did I drunk post again?  Nope, I'm good, just a mention."

This^^

Back when I started out here, I used to get a ton of posts in (though most of them were roleplay posts) and I kinda figured my posts wouldn't matter too much until I got to be a higher rank, because I would always notice the more veteran members (like @Crispy, @Doctor XFizzle, @Evilshy, and a few other members that are now inactive. (I miss them) Though Evilshy's posts were usually huge and daunting XP ).

I'm not going to straight out lie and say that people don't pay attention to rank (because some people do, for some reason), but they really shouldn't.  You've usually had thoughtful posts the times I've seen you post in non-RP places.

I've also felt that my posts don't matter sometimes.  Sometimes you just hit a bad groove in the flow of the thread and your post gets overlooked.

Edit:  Also, ranks aren't going to matter soon, as most people who are active hit the high ones fast, and it's a HUGE cliff to Certified Brony.  (3k - 10k is crazy steep)

Edited by Crispy
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

The site is a sprawling metropolis, and sometimes I wish the administration took on a homier approach rather than the typical corporate demeanor. Several things could be done to make the forums feel less like such a large place.

Edited by Legalize Dylan
  • Brohoof 3

ofcourse some posts go unniticed by most people, that's only natural on a forum like this wich has over 13000 users. and ofcourse it's not very nice to see that your well thought comment goes unniticed, but there isn't much you can do about it.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like my posts don't matter at all these days. Sometimes these days, I'll type out whole responses, huge paragraphs to answer one small question, then realize know one will probably read it and just go back to the main page of the forums and continue my forums lurking. So yeah, you could say that I feel like they don't matter anymore.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I try reading most posts, but to be honest when I see a thread that has gotten rather large I usually just read the first two posts and the last two posts then I reply. I already know that very few read my posts, sometimes I write way too long posts. Noone wants to read a long post. So I often feel like my posts don't even matter, but I just don't care. The thing is if you want people to read it, your post has to be the first on a new page. So if your post is in the middle, it's likely that it will never be read. Still I'm used to people not listening to me, so it doesn't matter if someone doesn't do so here. I'm not really here to throw my opinions out, I'm here to make friends and talk to friends.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 4

I understand how being ignored feels. Sometimes I feel like everyone just tolerates me, but could care less if i was even there. I feel like whe I post, its just annoying or useless to everyone.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

People will read your post in a thread.   Even if a lot of the times people just pass over everyone else's post, there are always going to be people that read your posts.  So no.

Edited by Dusty Soul
  • Brohoof 2

For a very long time, I always felt very unappreciated on these forums. I always felt like no one cared about me or what I had to say. All the super popular people back in the day always got tons of brohoofs and everyone loved them, and I felt bad that I didn't receive that same love that they did.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Commonly, yes. I mean, I'm not trying to sound like a whiner on here or anything, but I've been on for a year and a half now, and there are people who've joined in 2013, and have nearly x2 the amount of brohoofs as me. Kind of makes me feel bad, but not too much, admittedly. It's when I start a thread that gets a lot of views, but no replies, that makes me feel really bad (then again, those are request threads).

I know I don't post as much as every other member, but that's because everything I want to say is typically already said in a thread.

Edited by Alkryn
  • Brohoof 3

I always hope that someone could respond to my posts in any way, quote or brohoof.

But even if they don't, I'll just try to think about how much my post has possibly contributed to the thread, even though it doesn't usually work.

• Brohoof 3

My posts are like the cologne Sex Panther from Anchorman

60% of the time it works all the time

but my facetious narcissism tells me that my posts matter 100% of the time all the time because I am that cool 8)

• Brohoof 3

I know this very feeling. When I post, it's like no one ever responds to it or brohoofs it. I eventually threw that aside because popularity was never the thing I searched for, let alone on a forum. In fact, I was much happier when I had a close knit group of friends on the forums who I can consistently talk with. Quantity is nothing compared to quality as I always say.

• Brohoof 4

I just wanna say thanks to everyone who posted here. I really apreciate it. :)

Just to let you know, I read all of your comments and am glad to see that some people could relate to this. Yes, I read ALL of your comments. Unlike some people, I really do value your insights. If no one else acknowledges your posts, then I certainly do. :)

• Brohoof 4

I feel like this all the time actually. The only time they do seem to matter is when I stumble into a controversial thread and get negative reactions. I have tried starting my own threads, but most of them dive bombed. I don't really care about brohoofs anymore, they are kind of worthless sense it seems like there is a good majority of people that don't brohoof anything and only silently agree. I find that most of my brohoofs come from the same group of people as well.

This reminds me, I should take more interest in my breakfast thread, the only one that seems to be doing well. 

• Brohoof 3

You know odd as it seems coming from someone who posted like 4000+ posts anyways, I do kinda feel like alot of times people don't care for my posts. Maybe because I tend to ramble on and make these long walls of text that nobody in their right mind has time to read most times, or I'm just agreeing.

However I have this weird need to post in the threads regardless. I feel like I have to throw my own input in whatever thread i'm in and hardly leave any threads I look into without having a post in it.

However I can say that I am myself guilty of skipping over others posts, infact sometimes I'm just in a rushed mood where I want to post and have other threads I want to check out and other things to do, so I'll read the OP and maybe a few posts on the 1st page then post.

Sometimes I'll read through the posts on the first page, and sometimes I'll even read past that if the thread isn't to large populated with posts, but thats honestly rare(This thread is one time I did that though).

I think the reason is that without brohoofs or quoting, theres really no sure fire way to know you even got noticed in the landslide of others here. Its part of being in a forums really. Every forum i've ever been in the 1st few posts are the ones with all the upvotes or whatever and the others slowly get to be less generally since people look at those less.

I guess it can be kinda hard to read through some threads, like the ones with 100's of replies and such. So I can't exactly blame people all the time.

Idk in general despite how often I post here i don't know how much I feel that people actually care for my opinions, even if I don't blame them because of the reasons I mentioned before, and because I sound stupid and repeat myself a crap ton in these walls of text(Like this one).

My statues I use to think this, but typically now people will comment on my statues, atleast a few. And I try my best to read all my status update notifications, but sometimes I don't have the time.(Honestly I commit to reading my status notification updates for all my friends then to read all the posts in threads :P.)

Also with the fact I have almost twice as many posts as brohoofs I think that statistically only like half my posts mattered to people(not a terribly accurate judgement really, but thats comparing those stats.)

I guess its an unavoidable feeling on internet forums unless they're very very small or you just ignore the feeling.

(Look its another of my walls of text where I repeat myself a million times :P.)

I honestly wondered if people care for my existence here at all, but I know that I have some good friends here. Even if I still think I'm kinda dumb and say alot of stupid things(Not to mention ramble..)

Ok end of ramble, I'm just going to end it abruptly here and stop myself, before I stop any chance of anyone actually reading this :P.

• Brohoof 4

I usually wouldn't post a reply in a topic of this size, but I would definitely have to agree here. I don't really post topics that often, but I do post some time to time, most of which are usually art related.

Now, I do recall when I first joined this place up, I felt like my art posts always got hit up by members and now they just don't get near the activity. Granted, my artwork is a tad bit strange but still contains ponies and pony accessories. You'd think the complexity of something would really increase the popularity of it.

I mean, I spend time trying to think and draw up my strange ideas when they just don't get much attention. Yeah, all this may seem selfish but hey, I don't sit here and draw so I can stare at it for a few minutes. 

I have a buddy on here that pretty much would feel the same way, we share similarities and kind of think the same when it comes to most things and his posts/replies don't get hit up near as much as they should either. We have come to the conclusion our posts/replies just makes most folks be all like "what the hell am I reading" due to the extreme "unique" way we deliver most of our thoughts.

So when it comes down to it, do I feel like my posts don't matter? Well, no. Because they obviously matter (conceited, but that's me for ya) I feel like they don't get proper attention, which I'd say is different than mattering I assume. 

• Brohoof 2