Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

BronyCan and Community Artists

Silvershock

(edited)

Hi all!

OK, so BronyCan is happening in Vancouver on August 24th. As part of our preparations, we've been looking into getting the con space itself ready for the event. I was looking into the eight billion or so sign, decorations and such that the average con needs, and I had myself one of those dangerous "idea" things.

What we'd like to do is use our con space (and potentially space in the con book) as a showcase for community artists. Say, for example, we have a room called "Winter". The exterior sign for that room, or perhaps some interior display piece, would be donated by a community artist, withe the content hopefully matching up with the intended theme. We'd display it with a lovely big attribution to the artists, a link to their DA/FA/whatever, that kind of thing, so everyone can see who made it.

Then, at the end of the con, we'd put all the community-contributed art into the charity auction, and hopefully make lots of wonga for people who need it. By doing this, we get a great-looking con space decorated by talented artists, and those artists get their work seen by all the attendees of Canada's first major brony con.

Does that sound like something artists on here would be interested in? We've had some local interest already, including a statue build! We're also interested in original content for our con book - short stories, opinion pieces, that kind of thing.

If you'd like to help us out, you can contact me directly, or post in this thread. All assistance is very much appreciated. We're working hard to make BronyCan the best con it can possibly be, and any help the community can provide will go toward improving the experience for everyone, as well as making money for charity!

Silver

Edit - The conbook editor told me last night that our deadline for submissions is the 5th of August, though personally I'd say getting your art/writing submitted by the 1st is a good idea. This applies only to content intended for the book itself.

Edited by Silvershock
  • Brohoof 16

We're also interested in original content for our con book - short stories, opinion pieces, that kind of thing.  

What kind of thing are you looking for with writing peices? Just stuff we've done in the past of just random stuff or are you looking for something a tad more specific?

• Brohoof 1

As a writer with no exact job or writing project but with extra love of giving charity (especially to kids), I would like to participate. Yet, since I live in Asia, I won't be able to attend the Can (lol) when it's finally played. This is where my question came from. Only for people who can attend or for everypony who wants to contribute?

A question same-similar to the one by Aerial Stream, I'm wondering about people outside of the con who're wanting to contribute. I'm a visual artist who'd not mind giving to those who need it. However, this does become a slight problem due to distance.
If we can provide quality art digitally, would you be able and willing to make the desired print/s of it for use in the con?

Free publicity? Count me in!

I hope my shitty art skills can help with something. Even though I can't attend, it would be wonderful to contribute!

(edited)

Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. 

Edited by NONAME
  • Brohoof 2

Wow, that was fast!

We're open to contributions from any artist that's feeling generous, not just those coming to the con. :) Thanks to those people who sent me Skype requests. I've added you guys, and hopefully I'll get to chat to you this evening

What kind of thing are you looking for with writing peices? Just stuff we've done in the past of just random stuff or are you looking for something a tad more specific?

Anything interesting is good for us. Needs to be relatively short though obviously, to fit the conbook format.

Only for people who can attend or for everypony who wants to contribute?

Anyone who wishes to contribute is more than welcome. :)

If we can provide quality art digitally, would you be able and willing to make the desired print/s of it for use in the con?

Sure! We've got a local printer that does our stuff.

One question though, what charity, and what percentage to charity?

The charity we're supporting this year is the B.C. Children’s Hospital Foundation. The percentage I'll have to confirm with The Dude That Handles These Things. I'll get back to you on that one.

Incidentally, we're also looking at having an art show/artist's alley, so if anyone would like to sell copies of their prints, take commissions, etc, then please get in touch! If you're one of the artists who is contributing to the con theming, then we'd be more than happy to have "prints available in art show" or such alongside your attribution.

I'll contact everyone who's responded so far this evening, and try to get a list of "slots" sorted out for contributors - what kind of thing we need, where, what size, etc. Thanks again, guys!

Er, what sort of writing pieces are you searching for? Even though I don't live in Canada, I wouldn't mind donating a short story or something.

Short stories sound perfect. :) That's the kind of thing we were looking at doing, similar to the pieces you'll find in the Everfree/Rainfurrest conbooks, though other formats are possible.

• Brohoof 2

This sounds interesting, I'd be more than happy to contribute a short story. :) I take it it has to be pony related? What sort of age group, if any, would it be ideal to aim for? In terms of explicit content (I occasionally go a little grimdark in my writing, though to be fair I've never done a pony fanfic before) I mean. When's the deadline?

(edited)

Fantastic. I'll be sure to do my best to contribute. Is there a deadline, and is there a more focuses website/location for the con and this stuff?

Also, Digital Artists, remember: Resolution of 300dpi/ppi NOT 72dpi/ppi

It'll make the prints come out bad.

Edited by Akoura

This is an excellent idea. Not just for your con, but for all cons in general. Donated art for decoration of the con itself, auctioned at the end for charity.

However, signage at cons tend to get beaten up a lot because a small percentage of con-goers aren't necessarily the most... considerate of other people's property. And damaged art doesn't do well at auction. So my suggestion is to remember to put aside funds for some kind of temporary protection of the artwork, like sheets of thin plexiglass with black gaffer tape on the edges. Done carefully, it won't look that bad, and it will keep the signs relatively safe.

• Brohoof 5

However, signage at cons tend to get beaten up a lot because a small percentage of con-goers aren't necessarily the most... considerate of other people's property. And damaged art doesn't do well at auction. So my suggestion is to remember to put aside funds for some kind of temporary protection of the artwork, like sheets of thin plexiglass with black gaffer tape on the edges. Done carefully, it won't look that bad, and it will keep the signs relatively safe.

It's a good point, and we'll make sure that all artwork is kept as intact as possible. Obviously from our perspective we want to keep it in good nick for the auction.

Wow, can't believe we've got people already starting. I think Butler's piece is intended to go straight to the auction, which is great. I'll be contacting the other artists that added me on Skype as soon as possible (other things got in the way a bit this evening) and asking them to do particular pieces for me. By coincidence, someone handed me the final room layout earlier today, so that's perfect timing!

• Brohoof 1

Hello sir,

I write poetry, some of which just happens to be pony related. Does that count as writing? Because I'd really like to be a part of this.

• Brohoof 1

Hello sir,

I write poetry, some of which just happens to be pony related. Does that count as writing? Because I'd really like to be a part of this.

Works for me. :) Incidentally, the conbook editor told me last night that our deadline for submissions is the 5th of August, though personally I'd say getting your art/writing submitted by the 1st is a good idea. I can't guarantee that every submission will go into the book, but I'd say there's a good chance of being published.

• Brohoof 1

Here is a question. For this con book (Because there are 2 stories I would like to submit) what are:

1. Max number of words allowed
  2. Do those who contribute get a copy of said conbook
  3. do those who contribute have their names in said conbook for recognition?

Here is a question. For this con book (Because there are 2 stories I would like to submit) what are:

1. Max number of words allowed
  2. Do those who contribute get a copy of said conbook
  3. do those who contribute have their names in said conbook for recognition?

1. Let me check in with the editor and get you a definite answer on that.

2. If you'd like one, I'll mail you one. :-)

3. Absolutely. We'll also list contributors on our website, along with portfolio links.

1. Let me check in with the editor and get you a definite answer on that.

2. If you'd like one, I'll mail you one. :-)

3. Absolutely. We'll also list contributors on our website, along with portfolio links.

Lemme know when you can ^_^ I would love to submit both of my stories as they are two that I'm really proud of. They don't need cover-art though, do they?

OK, so our editor tells me that space in the conbook is tight. We're looking at about a 1000 word limit for short stories at the moment, unfortunately. (It isn't a magazine-sized conbook.) Perhaps I can persuade our website guy to publish the stories that don't make it into the book.

• Brohoof 1

OK, so our editor tells me that space in the conbook is tight. We're looking at about a 1000 word limit for short stories at the moment, unfortunately. (It isn't a magazine-sized conbook.) Perhaps I can persuade our website guy to publish the stories that don't make it into the book.

:( 1000 words? aw...my shortest of the shortest stories is 1,500 words.I guess I'll be passing on this one. I generally try to make a specific word goal for each story so each chapter can be between 2000 to 5000 words (most chapters in a story is 9 - others are usually 3-4 chapters long)

*ahem* Silver, you are aware that I'm on this forum too?

If I may interject here, I am willing to accept a brief excerpt of at least one of your stories if it's going to be a long one. I can have the book lead to a link to the full version (a shortened URL will do nicely) if you wouldn't mind hosting it somewhere. I can also have it posted to the Tumblr if you'd like. Cover art isn't necessary, but having a picture to compliment it wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

• Brohoof 1

*ahem* Silver, you are aware that I'm on this forum too?

If I may interject here, I am willing to accept a brief excerpt of at least one of your stories if it's going to be a long one. I can have the book lead to a link to the full version (a shortened URL will do nicely) if you wouldn't mind hosting it somewhere. I can also have it posted to the Tumblr if you'd like. Cover art isn't necessary, but having a picture to compliment it wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

Ok, that sounds neat. I have the stories already hoisted on FimFiction.net but I am always trying to get the word spread as far as I can ^-^

So an 1000 word excerpt? Hm. Shall I submit the story I think is the best, or the two I have in mind and let you choose? Just making sure I understand things so I don't flood your inbox with unwanted material.