Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art Does anyone have tutorials here ?

Scootadress

When I got into drawing, I was very young. I want to start learning better, but I can't seem to understand those stupid books! I been trying to draw people in the right proportions but I can't seem to do this right, seeing how people offline were saying:

The legs were too ____

The chest is too ____

You can't draw hands like that! 

Any tutorials for someone to get anatomy right and the proportions? I tried so offline, its not as bad as online since I can't draw digitally yet.

Ps:What are some better art programs? I tried sai and I'm getting annoyed by the bucket tool D:

I have my own special ways to draw people... but that would probably be a little too much for you to handle.

If you want to become a decent artist, find an art style you like, then focus on practicing that art style.

Or you can just look at a picture, and try your best to replicate it without tracing.

I have my own special ways to draw people... but that would probably be a little too much for you to handle.

If you want to become a decent artist, find an art style you like, then focus on practicing that art style.

Or you can just look at a picture, and try your best to replicate it without tracing.

I did this as well, at least traditionally. I just don't know how to do one on a drawing tablet. I've been having this problem since May ^^"

(edited)

I'm a bit confused, are you asking for tutorials for learning how to draw in the digital medium or general preportions, @Scootadress

When it comes to drawing proportions it's always going to be an uphill battle but it sounds as though you need practice your visual measuring. I'd suggest the following video to get an idea as to how you should approach this. If you're interested in more videos by Matt Khoer visit CtrlPaint.

If you want to dive straight into the deep end, start with the video below and visit section 6 at the CtrlPaint link I provided. Keep in mind it focuses on anatomy!

Video was removed due to possibly being labeled as NSFW towards the end. Follow this link to watch the vidya.

Now when it comes to drawing digitally you're almost literally relearning how to draw, all that remains is your current knowledge and experience of the traditional. We don't have the resistances we had with things such as paper, nor does the digital pen behave the same way as our dipping pens. It's primarily part experimentation, both with your tablet/stylus and the program of your choosing. I can't really recommend any other programs besides SAI. Everything that I've learned was through simple experimentation and google searches.

While SAI is a strong program, it's abandonware and I myself will have to move from it sooner than later. Maybe you should download a trial edition of Photoshop and give that a go.

Edited by Accellerant

I'm a bit confused, are you asking for tutorials for learning how to draw in the digital medium or general preportions, @Scootadress

When it comes to drawing proportions it's always going to be an uphill battle but it sounds as though you need practice your visual measuring. I'd suggest the following video to get an idea as to how you should approach this. If you're interested in more videos by Matt Khoer visit CtrlPaint.

If you want to dive straight into the deep end, start with the video below and visit section 6 at the CtrlPaint link I provided. Keep in mind it focuses on anatomy!

Video was removed due to possibly being labeled as NSFW towards the end. Follow this link to watch the vidya.

Now when it comes to drawing digitally you're almost literally relearning how to draw, all that remains is your current knowledge and experience of the traditional. We don't have the resistances we had with things such as paper, nor does the digital pen behave the same way as our dipping pens. It's primarily part experimentation, both with your tablet/stylus and the program of your choosing. I can't really recommend any other programs besides SAI. Everything that I've learned was through simple experimentation and google searches.

While SAI is a strong program, it's abandonware and I myself will have to move from it sooner than later. Maybe you should download a trial edition of Photoshop and give that a go.

Thanks for your help :) That helps a lot. You make it sound easier then the other tutorials out there on DA and places like that. 

Ooo, talking about software, try MyPaint or Krita. I use Krita almost exclusively now, but MyPaint is good too :) They are both free btw. They also have very different feels so it might make sense to try both of them.

The biggest step I found to learning to draw was learning to erase. When I was starting out, I was always afraid to touch something which I had drawn because I was afraid to make it worse. With proportions, that tends to be a big thing. You can draw an initial sketch and have the proportions be wrong, but in that case, don't be afraid to just erase and redraw. If I have a lot of progressive steps, I find I can slowly work my way towards the correct proportions. Also, practicing helps a lot :) One of the best ways to practice I think is to draw quick sketches (5 min ~ 30 min) and then just toss them out. If you do a few of these, I think it'll help you get better proportions because of that.

• Brohoof 1