Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if unicorns didn't exist in Equestria?

Dsanders

Unicorns, you know them, you love them. They are one of the three main subspecies of ponies. They are characterized by their horns and their ability to perform magic.

They help the community in many ways, with styling hair, designing fashion, cooking, construction, and all the common mundane activities and jobs that most other ponies are unable to do, due their limited hooves and their lesser reach capability.

The mane 6, in fact, consists of the two main unicorns we all personally know and love. ;)

Twilight Sparkle:

One of the most powerful unicorns, and also the main protagonists of the series, Twilight Sparkle, has used her extraordinary talent in magic in countless ways, most of which involving her saving her friends and all of ponyville from the countless disasters that have occurred over the course of the show. 

Twilight-Sparkle-my-little-pony-friendsh

Then you have one of her best friends, Rarity.

Rarity:

rarity_by_mlp_luver16-d5ab5q7.jpg

Rarity is a unicorn of excellent class and strata. She has given her full devotion and generosity in making the fashion, the clothes and overall attire to help the residents of the Ponyville look and feel their best. Her extraordinary talent in making her incredible fashion designs comes mostly from her magical telekinetic abilities which allow her to wrap together any piece of formal attire in little to no amount of time.

tl;dr  :P 

So here's the question...

What if the world of Equestria, was absent of unicorns? What if your favorite unicorns never existed in the series?

How would Equestria have come to be? What would've happened to the mane 6...or 4 for that matter?

I'm talking both cannon show and head cannon wise. 

Looking forward to seeing you insights regarding this.  ^_^

Edited by Sanderspie

There wouldn't be any evidence of unicorns in the archives, there wouldn't be any alicorns, no magic would have existed, and Starswirl the Bearded would have not been mentioned in the show. The Mane 4 would just have Earth ponies and pegasi, without unicorns in the group.

Well technically, if unicorns didn't exist, then neither would alicorns. Celestia and Luna wouldn't rule over Equestria, they wouldn't be able to control the sun and moon, and nobody would be there to do anything about it.

To put it simply, they need the unicorns to exist.

If there was no unicorns then alicorns would simply just be pegasi whom look like earth ponies.  Pegaearth; they would probably still have a monarchy system though, and I assume if there was no magic then the sun & moon would have to move at their natural pace, whatever that may be.

If we use a real life comparison such as if Europeans never existed then a lot would change. If unicorns never existed all their discoveries and inventions would be lost. If it were only the pegasi and earth pony tribes existed during a Hearth's Warming Eve the two tribe leader could be stuck forever in a cave forever since it was Clover the Clever, a unicorn, who freed them.

Also before Celestia and Luna unicorns cycled the sun and moon which wouldn't happen without them. Since Equestria is weird it seems this doesn't effect much since all the plants didn't start dying when Nightmare Moon casted eternal night, so maybe the cycling of the sun and moon isn't too important.

Threats though such as Nightmare Moon and Discord can still be defeated since the elements of harmony should be able to be used without unicorns.

tl;dr A lot would probably change since removing anypony from existence could have major consequences.

If unicorns didn't exist, then magic and alicorns wouldn't exist. Alicorns are technically part unicorn, so without unicorns, they would be pegasi-earth pony hybrids. The Pegasi and Earth Ponies would probably come to some sort of truce and Equestria would be born, just without unicorns.

Well, without Unicorns and i'm assuming no Alicorns either, Equestria would be without a way to change the day and night, so that would either mean forever day or forever night, forever day would atleast allow crops to grow, but forever night would eventuelly kill all crops, so it depends there.

If they had forever day i'm still not sure what would happen.

I mean if you have no element of magic, you have no elements of harmony complete atleast, so i think that things would go chaotic seeing as the ponies wouldn't have the elements. Things like Discord could reign supreme, and would because Celestia nor Luna would be around to stop them.

Plus, nopony to do things Unicorns can only do.

And really no access to the magic of Unicorns, leaving Equestria very weakened, without one of their assets.

Just earth ponies and Pegasi working together wouldn't be enough, all three are needed together I think, or many things wouldn't happen or work or be as easy.

Heck, we could go as far back to the founding of Equestria, where if Clover the Clever wasn't around when they where trapped inside the cave with the wingdigos freezing everything.

If Clover the Clever wasn't present, or any Unicorn, then they wouldn't have had someone to channel the magic of their friendship in a way to defeat the windigos.

In short Equestria may have no even existed!

So i think its safe to say that without Unicorns, equestria would be very different, as would it be without any of the races really. All of them play their own key roles, and only together do they prosper as shown by "Hearts warming eve"

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

No unicorns means no magic.

No unicorns means the extinction of alicorns.

No unicorns means the balance on ponyville would be out of place.

No unicorns means that Twilight will never exist, and the magic of friendship will be forgotten.

No unicorns means NO RARITY!!!!!  :(