Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming I want to get back into console gaming, but how?

Mars Caramel

For a long while, I have been noticing how much time I've been spending on my PC. Most of it is just playing Team Fortress 2, playing Blockland, watching stuff on YouTube like Garry's Mod videos, Game Grumps, some game reviewers, and I even started making Garry's Mod videos. It's basically all I do whenever I'm at home nowadays.

Before I had my PC, I used to be a big fan of Nintendo, but I think the last time I was in excessive use of my consoles was about a year ago, maybe more. I own 5 home consoles that just sit there gathering dust; an NES, a SNES, an N64, a PS2, and a Wii. (Not including my sister's PS3, which she still plays) And you want to know something? I only recently started collecting those older consoles, only to play on them for about 1 or 2 months before shifting back to my PC.

Maybe I just can't enjoy console games on my own anymore? I'm pretty much the only Nintendo fan in my family, and I have no friends to play with, (my sister used to play with me occasionally, but I always get the feeling she might not be enjoying it) whereas PC gaming is actually filled with online games I could play. Even if I'm currently hooked on PC gaming, I do miss consoles, but I just can't feel the need to use them again. I even planned to buy a Wii U at some point, but now I can't think of a reason to. Does the Wii U have any features I may be interested in as well as some of the games, maybe?

And no, I'm not planning to buy the PS4 or the Xbox One, because I'm simply not a fan of Microsoft, and I'm not as much as a fan of Sony as I am with Nintendo.

If you really want to go to console gaming, then you just will. I feel the reason why you don't is because you actually, internally do not want to. And why would you? Sure, consoles are convenient if you do not have a lot of money to throw around for gaming, or if you like to play games when friends are over. But pc gaming is so much better.

You get most of the big titles across all systems (except a few like Halo, Uncharted, ect), and you get so much power out of a computer assuming yours is custom built/upgraded. not only do pc's get access to some console titles, they get their own that consoles can't have. Such as StarCraft 2, or DOTA.

Even in some of the titles pc can get (Like skyrim) pc can allow the use of mods without penalty to your computer, unlike modding your xbox which will screw you over. And these mods often times make games like skyrim last for ages (as it's predecessors did).

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki
  • Brohoof 1

If you prefer consoles more than PC, then you could go back to the consoles if their exclusive games appeal to you. A lot of people prefer PC because you get to experiment with mods to have more fun with the game that your playing with, and maybe the servers on PC games get to have more players in a server than a console.

I like both, because they each have their own feel to them. At the moment, I'm more into PC games, but that's because I spend a bunch of time on the computer, while I no longer have the time for console games. But I do think it's nice to play them every now and then, and if you feel the want to play them, just do it! :) You don't have to feel bad or anything cause you don't play them as much anymore.. ;)

There is only two questions to answer:

Look at the games on consoles that cannot be found on PC. Do any of these games pique your interest? If so. Probably worth it.

Can you put up with using a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard? Can you deal with sometimes using controllers you don't particularly like such as the Wiimote in case standard controllers are not an option in the game you are playing? If so, this will bolster your decision but it should not be the reason for your decision. The games thing is the only reason you should consider when deciding if you wanna play consoles.

Remember to not only look at the popular games but the indie games and the older generations games that can be played on a system or are available on it's online network.

As with any other gaming decision: It's all about the games. Think only of the games.

• Brohoof 1

The logical answer I can give you is to try the Wii U by the sound of your dilema. 

It's basically a good console fun for every type of gamer out there, with many different control outputs, backwards compatibility with most wii games, and overall a great console for every nintendo fan.

I would try gradually playing less and less on PC and focus your time on consoles. Since you are having a hard time with it try to make a schedule or something. List how many hours you want to play on your console and try to bump it an extra 15 mins and subtract 15 from the amount of time you plan to spend on your PC. Hopefully at some point you don't not spend nearly as much time on the computer as you would normally. Also about that Wiiu idea you have...

I own a Wiiu. I owned one ever since November 2012 (when it was released)

I would say to maybe purchase a bundle pack like the newly announced Zelda Wind Waker HD bundle that will be out September 20th

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/08/nintendo_confirms_limited_edition_wii_u_bundle_for_the_legend_of_zelda_the_wind_waker_hd

Wiiu hasn't had alot going for it until recently so you should definitely pick one up if you would really like to try and rekindle your love for Nintendo. Plus some great exclusives are coming out very soon like Super Smash Bros. 4, Mario Kart 8 and etc.

In the end though it's your choice. If you really wanted to get back into consoles than nothing is stopping you. I hope I helped atleast a little.

Ha I have a similar problem except it's for PC gaming. Even though I have a great gaming PC and set up, I just can't get into it and my myself going back to my PS3. The only time I use my PC for gaming is when multiplat games run horribly on console like Tomb Raider or BioShock or if it has some interesting indie games but even then I don't enjoy gaming on it as much as a console.

They've announced a WiiU price drop though. And if you've always been a fan of Mario, Zelda and all those other Nintendo exclusives then it's pretty enticing. If it were me and I weren't getting the PS4/Xbox One then I would go for it.

• Brohoof 1