Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on Spike being a Dog

FluttershyForever

• 1 month later...

When I first heard that Spike was going to be turned into a dog in this movie, I was absolutely livid. I thought that was a shot of disrespect to this innocent character. I thought the creators didn't care about him anymore so they turned him into a dog for the sake of a cheap laugh. So going into watching the movie, even as a Spike fan, I was dreading to see what they did with him.

AND...

Much to my surprise, Spike was actually pretty good in this movie. I mean, other than being a dog he was his usual Spike self pretty much. I do like how aggresive he was in this movie. From sneaking into the human world with Twilight, from trying to intimidate Sunset, to him not letting Twilight give up hope, and of course his scenes with human Rarity. I'm probably going to sound crazy when I say this, but Equestria Girls probably contains one of Spike's best performances.

The only thing I found slightly off in the appearance of things, was that Rainbow Dash and Applejack should've been wearing pants. Spike worked well as a dog. Not even the skin colors bothered me that much...

The only thing I found slightly off in the appearance of things, was that Rainbow Dash and Applejack should've been wearing pants. Spike worked well as a dog. Not even the skin colors bothered me that much...

Yeah, the skirt-thing is weird, but to be fair, Hasbro wanted to use this movie to advertise for their toys.

In fact, making toys from their TV shows is something they've been doing since the 1980's, and they've been doing well because of that, so you can't really blame them for sticking to what they know.

They're not like Saban Entertainment with Power Rangers, where they can just mostly take whatever appears in the Sentai footage they adapt, make a toy out of it, and wait patiently as either grade-school aged newcomers or 20-something long-time fans empty shelves faster than you can say; "It's Morphin Time!"

• Brohoof 1

SPIKE. LOOKED. SO. CUTE!

I'd heard about them making him a dog before hand and thought it was a cute little concept (excluding implying Spike was a pet rather than an assistant), but when I saw the movie I just sat there with a stupid smile at on my face with his cartoon-cuteness. 

I see lots of people hating on it, but honestly, whats there for a reason to hate?

SPIKE. LOOKED. SO. CUTE!

I'd heard about them making him a dog before hand and thought it was a cute little concept (excluding implying Spike was a pet rather than an assistant), but when I saw the movie I just sat there with a stupid smile at on my face with his cartoon-cuteness. 

I see lots of people hating on it, but honestly, whats there for a reason to hate?

Well the reason why it kind of bothered me because the show made it obvious that Spike is more of Twilight's pet, not her friend. At least I felt it was applied when they made him a dog. In fact, when I first heard of Equestria Girls I prayed they were going to leave poor Spike out of the movie entirely to save on the humiliation.

• Brohoof 1

He was pretty awesome and cute. Like most, I do think it's confusing that a sapient creature was... transformed into a common household pet. But it worked well in the context of the movie, and he could still speak anyways. He was better than his dragon form. Not only aesthetically, but in attitude. He worked well with confused human Twilight, and didn't even really seem to mind his situation for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

Spike as a puppy was definitely cute, but as someone more or less on par with actual ponies that can speak I personally felt like it was a little degrading to the character.

I just don't see why he couldn't be a human as well-it can't be because of his age-because we've seen the Cutie Mark Crusaders and at least four other kids their age at the high school.

Plus, Angel was still just a rabbit on the other side of the mirror-so that confused me about the mirror's rules.

Not much of a Spike fan I take it?

I don't mind him really, but I actually liked the EG version of him more, I don't find dragon spike cute, but the dog was adorable  :wub:

How did you feel about Spike being a dog? I mean everyone I talk to about Spike being a dog, they're like "oh, it was so stupid...."

I thought it was pretty cute. I mean, how weird is it to see purple, yellow and orange-skinned teenagers?

Oh wow a Cheerilee signture that is a rarity to see on these forums o.O!  Nice Cheerilee is super awesome <3

Anyways back on track, I think that it was fitting for spike to become a dog in the human world and his character scheme as the dog looked well too. Did not bother me in the slightest bit and also spike seemed to enjoy being a dog or so it seemed...  :okiedokielokie:

I just feel that it suited him... actually, that's one of the things that didn't bother me at all.

He still could speak, and he was pretty much himself, even more than ponies of the show. He was still helping Twily around, and his + Rarity's moment were just adorable <3