Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on Spike being a Dog

FluttershyForever

I thought spike was about the game generally overall, although he did seem to have a nice consistently good character overall throughout the movie.

So i liked him, even if he didn't change much internally just external.

Plus, with his name and him being in the real world, a dog is the perfect choice i think.

His attitude was simple perfect. He was smart, funny and all.

There is one problem: Despite the fact that they give him a good attitude, they ruined everything by making him a dog. I don't give a damn if he is cute or not. They turn him in a dog just to use him for lame jokes when they could actually turn him into human.

Thinking of Spike like a animal is a sin when he is like a little brother for Twilight.

And how people are so easy to forgive this just because of his attitude is a sin.

Well, I used to hate the idea, but actually, I couldn't think of Spike any other way. When you first look at him, you think, "WHAT?!?!" and jump to conclusions about the whole thing. Maybe I felt better after I figured out he could still talk, and that he wasn't supposed to go through the portal in the first place. I mean, if he was supposed to go and he couldn't talk, what would be the point of his presence?

I thought it was incredibly demeaning. The show always portrays the two having a sibling relationship, but EqG just makes him out to be some pet.

1. This is actually the only valid takedown of his being a dog I've seen so far.

2. While I agree with you, I still allege that Spike is probably the best written character in EqG so him being a dog doesn't really bother me at all. 

I personally don't see much of a problem with Spike being a dog. He couldn't remain a dragon when travelling to the alternate world, and he is after all, a different species from the ponies. Which means it wouldn't make sense for him to also become human, so they went with a dog. As for it being "demeaning," Spike never seemed to care, and it got him cuteness points with Human!Rarity. Besides, he looks good as a dog. Don't take it so seriously.

Before watching the movie I thought Spike was going to be another human like Twilight or Fluttershy, but when I found out he was going to be a dog I was actually a bit disappointed.

I guess it did make sense though considering that he wasn't a pony and all the ponies were humans. But does that make him equivalent to just a pet though?

Overall, I think they could of had something better than just a dog. Maybe even just him being a little brother to Twilight?

Edited by The Handmaid

I wanted him to be a lizard D: You know, Gummy? I have a lizard, but she is named Tyra like t-rex and not Spike, but dragons is lizards, right? Or birds, if they have wings? Are pegagus birds?

However, I wanted him to be a lizard.

I don't mind spike being a dog, I think it fit him very well!

But that would also be cool if he were a human. I mean in a way him, Appleloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo are technically the same age I'm guessing. So if he were human it'd be cute to see them all together :3

But I mean as a dog he's cool too! I actually liked it, it was fun, adorable, and just fit him well. :D

Isn't it safe to say Spike is sort of a dog in Ponyville, I mean laying in a dog like bed as seen in beginning of Equestria Girls and some episodes of MLP, as for him being a dog, I was expecting it lol, what I wonder is what would happen if you put a bigger dragon through the portal or those teenage dragons that Spike meets, what would they be?

Isn't it safe to say Spike is sort of a dog in Ponyville, I mean laying in a dog like bed as seen in beginning of Equestria Girls and some episodes of MLP, as for him being a dog, I was expecting it lol, what I wonder is what would happen if you put a bigger dragon through the portal or those teenage dragons that Spike meets, what would they be?

They would be giraffes, of course!

Or polar bears. Gem-eating polar bears in fancy colors. Fluttershy perhaps could take care of them, she have a good hand with the bears in Ponyville.

There's also the way he acts in "Secret of My Excess". When visiting the pediatrician pony, he got angry at being treated like a baby pony, but he responded positively when Vet Bluemane treated him like a dog.

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 1

Personally I laughed so hard I almost gave myself a hernia, I thought it was so funny, as I did not expect to see Spike as a dog. Spike did make quite a good canine, after all it was still him only in a different form, still the main thing Spike as a dog did for me was create non stop laughter and provided some good jokes in my head.

I never did understand why people got so angry about Spike being a dog. I couldn't imagine him as anything else! Dogs are man's best friend, and Spike's Twilight's #1 Assistant! It works perfectly!

Huh, I honestly never thought of it that way. It does make a lot of sense for Spike to be a dig in thaf sense, now that you mention it.
  • Brohoof 2

I don't really get why why people are saying Spike Dog is better than Spike Dragon when they are the same exact person.

It's not like Spike got a personality change though I think this is the first time Spike 's character was written by Megan McCarthy. She did an excellent job too compared to some of the other writers.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Spike as a dog is awesome but I personally think if he was still a dragon in the human world, I guess everyone will probably freak out which will turn into a mob of chaos and that's one thing I'll like to see. Wait a minute, then if dogs entered Equestria then wouldn't it be filled with dragons?

• Brohoof 1

I never did understand why people got so angry about Spike being a dog. I couldn't imagine him as anything else! Dogs are man's best friend, and Spike's Twilight's #1 Assistant! It works perfectly!

Well, having finally watched the movie well around a month ago, I guess the reason the whole 'Spike as a dog' thing got the backlash it did was because they were taking it way too seriously.

granted, I also used to be in the same crowd with those that didn't like that choice, but I cooled off when it occurred to me that the writers likely didn't mean for Spike to be considered downgraded or bellow the rest of the cast as a dog, this was quite evident with Spike still being able to talk and still possessing the same intelligence he had as a dragon.

That combined with how he's helped Twilight several times throughout the movie makes it quite evident to me that the movie itself doesn't consider Spike downgraded as a dog.

And while I still want Meghan McCarthy to explain her choice to make Spike a dog over making him human, the clear bottom line of it is this; the movie didn't take making Spike a dog seriously, so why should we?

• Brohoof 1