Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies in the media

Faulty Roze

When I was going home from basketball, I turned on the radio in the car because I was bored listening to the sound of traffic. When I turned on the radio, I listened to the channel that was already set. The radio channel was talking about random topics and soon moved on to a topic that caught my attention. As I sat mindlessly listening to the radio, the radio speaker mentioned "My Little Pony", I immediately focused on the radio, still looking out the window of course, I didn't want to show that I was interested on the topic. The radio speaker was talking about a fan fat/comic that was sent into their radio station. Soon after talking about the comic, that was made by a child, he began talking about us, Bronies! The radio speaker was pointing out how we are a bit weird, in a respectful manner, saying things like how can an adult like a children cartoon. You know, the generic non-brony talk.

My question to 'yall is: have you ever heard bronies or MLP in the media (not internet) and how did you react?

My reaction was, crazy on the inside. I was the first time bronies were mentioned on a media for me.

• Brohoof 1

Well, someone who goes to the same school as me got a 3-page story in the newspaper about his bronydom. I'd say that's quite awesome, except that they accidentally used a G3 cover...

Edited by Rcforme

I live about an hour out from my state's capital; Melbourne. I tuned into one of the radio staions up there was interviewing a local "Melbrony" about the fandom. It was pretty surprising I generally don't listen to a radio and fluked the moment they're trying to find out more about bronies by talking to a member of the fandom :P

Edited by QuirkyUsername

My question to 'yall is: have you ever heard bronies or MLP in the media (not internet) and how did you react?

Good question, but nope. The closest the media ever got to talking about something MLP related for me was when they briefly talked about Comic-Con which was where a few MLP related stuff was. 

Yes. Two times actually. Once when I was in the car listening to the radio, they began to talk about mlp and bronies. There was apparently a guy who talked on the radio channel who was a brony. I thought it was quite funny.

And another time, there was an article of bronies in the newspapers. Though it wasn't that good so I didn't care much about it.

When I went to BUCK Con a week and a half ago, it was a Europe-wide convention centralising in the city of Manchester. Nobody had ever seen anything like it before in the UK; the press were all over it. A representative for National Geographic came to film the convention as part of their upcoming documentary on subcultures, and BBC Radio 5 Live (which is an absolutely huge radio station) interviewed the vice chairman for the event. I remember seeing the guys with the huge camera and overhead microphone walking down the queue line, and I think I might have been in the background of one of the interviews :P

I've only ever otherwise seen the article from the Guardian that I'm sure everyone has read. Because the Guardian is UK based, where Bronies aren't nearly as prevalent as the US, it was pretty interesting news if you didn't have a clue what Bronies were about. I think my dad might have read it before he knew I was a Brony.

• Brohoof 2

Well, someone who goes to the same school as me got a 3-page story in the newspaper about his bronydom. I'd say that's quite awesome, except that they accidentally used a G3 cover...

That sounds more nightmarish than awesome, considering that G3 is literally the scourge of the earth in visual media. It's like Birdemic bad but not even fun to watch. I am pretty sure even toddlers don't find it interesting.

As far as my personal experiences go, I've actually never ever heard anyone talking about it ever, both in the media, and in person. It's kind of strange considering how long the fandom has been around and that I used to meet tons of people constantly (not so much anymore) but one day I will hear about it on the news (in a positive manner of course, because the fandom is so utterly awesome.), and it will be glorious.

• Brohoof 1

When I went to BUCK Con a week and a half ago, it was a Europe-wide convention centralising in the city of Manchester. Nobody had ever seen anything like it before in the UK; the press were all over it. A representative for National Geographic came to film the convention as part of their upcoming documentary on subcultures, and BBC Radio 5 Live (which is an absolutely huge radio station) interviewed the vice chairman for the event. I remember seeing the guys with the huge camera and overhead microphone walking down the queue line, and I think I might have been in the background of one of the interviews :P

I saw that :3 At first, I just that it was some random journalist, and I was kinda wary thinking that we'd somehow be portrayed negatively or some smug fun-making would ensue, but they were okay after all! 

I believe I was caught on camera in the background as well, I hope I haven't been though, I was probably standing around looking awkward. 

• Brohoof 1

... Can I count the moment on X-play where Adam and the other one whose name I forget admit they were bronies? They briefly went over it, and never talked the slightest bit about MLP itself, but they said it, and joked about it, so it was a thing.

... Aside from that, no personal experiences in media, no.

• Brohoof 1

Only once so far. The local radio station had a spot about Midwest Brony Fest when it was in town. The male host didn't understand us but he was respectful about it. The female host however, said she intrigued that we would have a convention about MLP. So she said she would give it the ol' college try and watch the show. I'm not sure how it went, she hasn't brought it up again.

Hm, well except for articles on the internet I don't recall seeing MLP/Bronies in any other media really. Except...

... Can I count the moment on X-play where Adam and the other one whose name I forget admit they were bronies? They briefly went over it, and never talked the slightest bit about MLP itself, but they said it, and joked about it, so it was a thing. ... Aside from that, no personal experiences in media, no.

Yep, G4 did a few brony things alright. I remember the instance above since I remember seeing it soon after I became a brony, where they read a fan letter on the show asking if they were bronies but they just kind of left it in the air lol, they didn't bash us or anything though. Xplay also covered an MLP Skyrim mod, and I believe AOTS had some bit of Bronycon coverage last year.

I remember once going to a PAX panel for some of the guys who make CollegeHumor animated shorts. They had previously made a cartoon about bronies, very early on having not heard much of it (hey, you need to work fast as a sketch writer) and kind of just made wild assumptions about the stereotypes (fat nerd, the toys come alive when he's not looking and pray they'll somehow find a way to get away from him)

They said that when they posted their video, the comments were surprisingly respectful, though not especially appreciative. At the point of the panel, they pretty much understood there wasn't anything inherently horrifying about bronies.

Honestly, with the horrible ways the news tends to misrepresent gamers, kids, anything to do with computers, and anything going on across the Atlantic ocean, you should generally not worry about their opinion, or concern yourself about people getting their impressions from the news.

I've only ever heard the Fox news one, but I just saw that on YouTube. I'd be bothered by the fact that they were talking about us in a disrespectful manner, but if he wasn't just being mean, I wouldn't mind that much. In fact, seeing as "All news is good news", that might actually be a good thing!

Ugh I hate when the media covers bronies. In fact I hate just about everything that's filtered through mainstream media. Often they don't present the whole phenomenon behind the story and instead focus on tidbits; really annoying.

I haven't actually heard anything of bronies in the media. I did go to the Anime convention near me in July though and found not only many (bad) male Fluttershys but a good princess Celestia (who was actually a girl o.o) and lots of fan art, plushies, and tee shirts.