National Novel Writing Month 2013

Standard User

I can assure you, you're not alone. I've written before but every time I start up a new project I'm like "LOL HOW IS STORIE FORMED" and from what I gather most writers experience the exact same thing.

I say go for it. I'm not all that confident about my writing abilities either and I'm gonna do it!

@ BTW, I'm sorry to be a bother, but I've been thinking and I decided that if I shoot for novella-length I won't be getting the full experience. I want to try the full 50,000. Who needs sanity anyway?  B)

Well it's good to know that I won't be alone in those regards!  It sounds like it's going to be fun.  The main problem I have is thinking up a story and How I'm going to introduce it.  I'm usually fine when I actually start a story though.  :lol: 

Shoot for it! I'm using NaNoWriMo this year to guilt me into writing again. I honestly don't expect myself to hit the 50,000 mark, but I'll get quite a bit done regardless. Use it to be your motivation to write!  :wub:

I'll try to give it a shot, I keep passing it up year after year even though I keep telling myself that I'll do it the next year.

It does sound attractive. I have been planning to get active again in writing lately. I want to test how much I've improved. Fifty thousands words in a month is rather insane indeed. I can't guarantee quality in such speed. I may sign up by the end of this month. I have some projects to do at work, and I hope I can finish them quickly and get no project for at least a week next month.

I actually have got an idea for two chapters. Fifty thousands. I could manage five thousands in three days when I was in high school, but now... what the hell. -_-

Just figured out what story idea I want to pull out for this event. It is an idea I thought of a long time ago, when it hit me that the word complex can mean either a group of buildings or an inner conflict-inducing mental state. Yeah, that's really all I have to go on. No idea about plot or characters or nothin'. This should be fun.  :lol:

Anyone else already have an idea for what they want to write? Care to give us an explanation?

Just figured out what story idea I want to pull out for this event. It is an idea I thought of a long time ago, when it hit me that the word complex can mean either a group of buildings or an inner conflict-inducing mental state. Yeah, that's really all I have to go on. No idea about plot or characters or nothin'. This should be fun.  :lol:

Anyone else already have an idea for what they want to write? Care to give us an explanation?

I've always wanted to write a story about the last person alive, having made himself entirely immortal, living in the ruins of a dead humanity that once spanned the stars. All he can do is travel from planet to planet, reflecting on what we had created before everyone seemingly disappeared.

Of course, how everyone died is something I would save until the end. To be honest, I have no realistic ideas for it yet in that respect, so I should probably come up with something relatively original soon.

Last year I joined the NaNoWriMo stuff online, but I never actually wrote anything.  Maybe I will actually do it this year.  I have an idea for a quasi-fanfiction book.  My concern is usually not doing the story idea justice.  I don't want to ruin a good idea by creating a crumby final product.  

I've tried to join the NaNoWriMo for several times (unofficially, I mean. Try to write 50,000 words) but always failed, since I get so pessimistic while quick-checking my previous text and then quit, since I write only like 1,000 words in two days due to my erasing...

And I enjoy writing in Finnish, so my audience is very limited... And I don't know if I'd want to try my own original novel or stick to Harry Potter fanfiction...

And since I enjoy writing in Finnish, I should first try to write in Finnish during the NaNoWriMo. And if I succeed in Finnish, I have better chances to succeed in English...

Wow, I was never notified that people posted anything. Whoopsie.

@Dusknight Haze, that sounds similar to a science-fiction story I read a couple of weeks ago. Except in my story, the guy wasn't the last man alive, and life was about how many followers you could get (like YouTube). So maybe they aren't so similar after all...

@Shawn Parks, NaNo isn't about pumping out a finished project. Don't worry about writing something that your inner critic doesn't agree with: use this as an opportunity to get a large block of marble, then use December to chisel it into a finished product.

@Tenshinohana, do what you need to do to be successful! Write in Finnish, write upside down, write with your feet, write however feels comfortable. :)

, I believe I signed up with the username Kolth. If you're all about getting your name out there, using your real name isn't a bad idea. If you just want to use the site to check your progress, stay connected, etc. then a "normal" username isn't terrible either.

(Woah woah woah formatting issues what what why :( )

Edited by Handsome Jack

I believe I signed up with the username Kolth. If you're all about getting your name out there, using your real name isn't a bad idea. If you just want to use the site to check your progress, stay connected, etc. then a "normal" username isn't terrible either.

I will just use my real name. I want to test my skill in writing with second-person and present story telling. Thankfully I'm rather free these days because I get no new project, so I may be able to participate.

What are you going to write, by the way?

@, I'm not entirely sure. I have a couple of ideas that could be fleshed out, but I can't decide. I might do a fanfic or I might do an original piece.

On a semi-related note, I got to write part of my English essay a few days ago by slamming my head into the keyboard. I really want to do that again in a story.

This NNWM thing is...oddly interesting for some reason. I've never heard of it before, and I've considered writing stories and fanfiction for a while now. I was told in school that I'm a good writer, but I have pretty much zero experience with any kind of serious writing.

I do have several story ideas that I never got around to doing, I'm the kind of person who loves worldbuilding but never took the initiative to actually write anything.

I'm sure I have no freaking clue what I'm going up against, but since I have nothing better to do, I might as well try my hand at this. Are there any specific rules beyond what you've already said?

This NNWM thing is...oddly interesting for some reason. I've never heard of it before, and I've considered writing stories and fanfiction for a while now. I was told in school that I'm a good writer, but I have pretty much zero experience with any kind of serious writing.

I do have several story ideas that I never got around to doing, I'm the kind of person who loves worldbuilding but never took the initiative to actually write anything.

I'm sure I have no freaking clue what I'm going up against, but since I have nothing better to do, I might as well try my hand at this. Are there any specific rules beyond what you've already said?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat: world building is awesome, but actually writing something is (for me, anyway) is too much work. :P

And no, I think we've pretty much covered all the rules as it were. Start planning now and good luck! :)

Yeah, I'm in the same boat: world building is awesome, but actually writing something is (for me, anyway) is too much work.

My mind played me a movie during my ride home yesterday. The scenes were clear, the dialogues flew very naturally, storyline grew healthily, then it happened. Names and title.

GOD! FUCKING! DAMN IT!  D:<<<<<<<<

The novel will be medieval fantasy, like usual. I think I will shift to third person again, since the story requires me to shift from a pair of eyes to another while it's running. Many surprising deaths, for sure. I want to see what will happen if I break the boundaries and get the main character killed. I'm still arranging the scenario for that one.

Edited by Earl of Skyward

I think I'll give my hand at this. I wanted to write for NPWM but couldn't because of classes. Chances are that will happen again but I'm willing to give it a try. I guess put me down for 25,000 words.

So... it's tomorrow. What do I do? Do I just wait until the sun comes up and start writing randomly? There's no need to register or something like that, right?

• Brohoof 1

So... it's tomorrow. What do I do? Do I just wait until the sun comes up and start writing randomly? There's no need to register or something like that, right?

Well, if you go by that guy's description, you could start writing early, although it takes the fun out of it. And it's optional to register. Here's the link anyway: http://nanowrimo.org/

Yay.

Well, if you go by that guy's description, you could start writing early, although it takes the fun out of it. And it's optional to register. Here's the link anyway: http://nanowrimo.org/   Yay.

I know. I've registered there. I mean, is there something to do before writing? Maybe something like, "Hi guys, I want to write a romance story." 

Just start writing, right? It's still tomorrow, in my time zone.

I know. I've registered there. I mean, is there something to do before writing? Maybe something like, "Hi guys, I want to write a romance story."    Just start writing, right? It's still tomorrow, in my time zone.

Well, I think looking around in the forums a little might (somehow) give you inspiration, and get to know others better, but they don't really mind if you want to be an anti-social guy. I don't think they mind anything...

Yep...  November is the month that comes after October.  This month is still September(in my time zone anyways) and the month after this one is October...  After that comes November!  Don't worry though, I was thinking a month ahead as well. laugh.png  

Fluttershy_-_Yay.gif

It was my understanding that National Novel Writing Month was November, not October.  Is that not right?  Or am I missing something?  

post-10241-0-51903500-1367641144.jpg

Wait, what?

*checks calendar*

Oh lawd. XD

Don't mind me. I'm distracted with many stuff at the moment. Oh my, I feel so embarrassed. X3

• 3 weeks later...

We're approaching the final countdown into November...what? Yeah, just because this thread has been "inactive" for a while doesn't mean that November isn't looming!

Got a story idea yet? Because I sure don't! I can't really decide anymore. I might just bash my face into the keyboard for a while and see what comes to mind.

• Brohoof 2

Ooooh dear... here comes the anxiety! 

I actually do have some vague idea of what I want to write. It was a context spawned from reading one of the IDW MLP comics, so it's obviously going to be a fanfic of some description. Lets hope I can turn this idea into a fifty-thousand story...

Ah, good to see this thread has risen from the dead.

I have my story idea, or rather the seed of one. I've spent most of October racking my brain to come up with a better one, but it ain't happening. So I'm just gonna go with whatever is taking up the most headspace.