Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are we born Bronies?

Keyfur

Born as Bronies  

112 users have voted

1. 1. Is is a choice to become a Brony?

• Yes, I decided to love MLP<3
    • No, blame genetics for my awesomeness.
    • Other

Brony's are not born, but made through experience.  Not only this, but everything............we learn by experiencing things, not by stating "he or she was "born" with this skill"......its just impossible. 

Actually, it's interesting that you mention that. Scientists think they've been able to isolate specific genes which determine even things like political affiliation. If genes can shape political views, it stands to reason that genes can also determine whether one would like FiM or not.

What's your source?

Though this study is unrelated, there was a TED talk over the moral roots of political viewpoints. They are as follows: Harm (Compassion, outrage at those who do harm), Fairness (Equality), Authority (Respect), Ingroup (Loyalty), Purity (Sanctity). I don't see a gene that says 'you're liberal', however I can see a gene that says 'you are more likely to be compassionate', which has a biological basis - compassion informs a lot of group-related behaviors, which is essential to a social species like us. If this is the case, which I think it is, it's a hell of a stretch to say it 'determines political affiliations'.

Seriously, saying that becoming a brony was caused by genetics is like saying being homosexual or otherwise is caused by genetics.

You don't think being gay is caused by genetics? Sorry to break it to you, but here's some knowledge. (It's cool, but the video is made for kids, sorry if it;s condescending)

Choice, I was the one that decided to like the adorable ponies in MLP, it wasn't some sort of fate thing or anything like that, it was me that was open minded enough to like the show, just like I have the ability to choose anything I like!

What's your source?

Though this study is unrelated, there was a TED talk over the moral roots of political viewpoints. They are as follows: Harm (Compassion, outrage at those who do harm), Fairness (Equality), Authority (Respect), Ingroup (Loyalty), Purity (Sanctity). I don't see a gene that says 'you're liberal', however I can see a gene that says 'you are more likely to be compassionate', which has a biological basis - compassion informs a lot of group-related behaviors, which is essential to a social species like us. If this is the case, which I think it is, it's a hell of a stretch to say it 'determines political affiliations'.

Well, in layman's terms, this sums up the general correlation: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/21/science/21gene.html?_r=0

If you're looking for something a lot more beefy, I recommend checking this out: http://jhfowler.ucsd.edu/two_genes_predict_voter_turnout.pdf

Yes, many of us are.  That's the reason that bronies boomed when they did, in the early 2010's.  You see, ponies first came around in the 80's, and over the next few years human evolution began to develop a gene for fanatic fans of the show.  Now of course this took a while to develop through evolution, but in the late 80's and early 90's the gene began to appear in newborns.  These individuals experienced a life that felt largely empty because they had a huge genetic-induced passion for a show they had never seen.  When the show reappeared in the 2000's in generation 3, people whom had the gene felt largely unsatisfied because it failed to live up to the expectations that the gene had embedded in them from the gen 1 series.  Yet, when FIM came out, these same individuals suddenly burst into excitement finding that missing part of their genetic makeup, and thus became fans of the show.

So you see, most of us fans in our early 20's and late teens were in fact born bronies, but it just didn't fully surface until the show came back on air in its full glory.

Ask a silly question...

We do have some genetic determination on how our basic brain chemistry works, but the environment (this includes all events) affects it in a major way. You are who you are because the events of your life forged your brain chemistry and neuron network to become what it is.

I definitely think it's a matter of choice. I've never been interested anything similar, FiM just has qualities that other shows don't. I don't think deciding what you like and don't like has anything to do with genetics.

• 6 years later...
4 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

Aww he matches the screen

It’s like he was meant for that crash screen

If I get Windows 10, I promise I will hack him into that screen (might be difficult since the crash screen is supposed to be simple and fast, to lock the computer from harming itself). But yes, his colors immediately made me think of the modern BSOD