Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think there something faster then Light?

Codelyy

In reality nothing can surpass the speed of light. Thats a physics law. In fictions: Sonic>Flash>Zoom>Superman>Speed of light>Rainbow Dash> Speed of Sound> Road runner> Speedy Gonzales. So yeah...

Tachyons are particles theorized to constantly move faster then light. I dont remeber the excat details of the theory so just have the wiki instead http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon  :mellow:

They're also used by Will Ferrel to get transported to the land of the lost. :P

Just a random idea here, probably wrong, but don't the electrical impulses in the brain move faster than the speed of light? It's 5am so I'm not even going to bother to google it :P

According to relativity you can get from point a to point b faster than light by warping the space around you

According to some other theories that are not accepted by any notable percentage of the population yes and no because of various things

And according to my theories on how the universe works yes but you would expand a great deal without really noticing... It's complicated and sort of boring to most people I might explain in a new thread sometime but probably not

Actually, our scientists (humanity's in general, I think) are working on a way to distort space-time. They use exotic matter to expand space behind the ship, and contract it in front, creating a "hill" in space-time, allowing the ship to slide forward at ten times the speed of light.

But, don't take my word for it, take this guy's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWxub2XhmXM

More on the speed of light after reading a few posts

Electricity travels just under the speed of light in most good conductors but the electrons do not

The change in charges moves that fast but the electrons only go a few centimeters per minute at normal voltages

Your brain uses electricity and ions and that sort of fun stuff so those signals travel under the speed of light

Your computer operates at a high enough frequency that the speed of light is a notable percentage of the delay between transistor switches

Light pushes off of things so you could sail on the light of a star to maintain an orbit until you have the velocity to fly away like some majestic space eagle

I think that's about all for now

Anything is possible, I guess. I can't really make an educated guess because I've never studied physics and I don't have any interest in it, but I do believe that anything is possible. We just have to find a way to do it.

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws." - Douglas Adams

Somepony's here probly figured out by now I'm a huge Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fan. 

I believe there will be a way to travel faster than light at some point in the future. It might take us hundreds of years, but at some point it'll be possible. Many things that were considered impossible in the past are now reality so why would faster-than-light traveling be an exception?  Sure there are theories that indicate that it's impossible, but we can find our ways around it.

I believe that the speed of light is the fastest thing in the universe and is a constant. (Even when you drive a car, the light from the headlights only travel at the speed of light, ignoring the speed of the car as it can't move any faster..

Well, it really slows time down slightly in the car...but it's supremely negligable.

But aye, warp drives are different, as they would allow to travel below the speed of light...but bend space around YOU, making you travel a greater distance than normal.

Absolutely impossible, there is nothing faster than light. You could make something seem faster than light, but having a higher velocity than light? Nu-uh. It's impossible. That's because our (new) theory of relativity and special relativity doesn't allow anything to go faster than light. And as far as we know, the theory of relativity and special relativity has always been right, no exceptions.

Well, one exception, maybe, that being quantum particles. But we don't understand a lot about them yet. They can travel at incredible speeds to almost any location, making it seem almost instantly. However, we still don't know how that works, yet.

• 6 years later...

Of course there is. Shadow is faster than light.

Of course darkness is just the abscense of light but still the effect it gives is instant regardless of how far it is. 

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Ittoni said:

Of course there is. Shadow is faster than light.

Of course darkness is just the abscense of light but still the effect it gives is instant regardless of how far it is. 

I was just about to say this

• Brohoof 1

There's gotta be something out there that's faster than the speed of light. Maybe on some distant, out of our reach planet, there's some sort of radio wave phenomenon or something rather that moves faster than light. I'm not sure, but there's always a possibility.

If you've learned physics relating to it you've probably read about general relativity or if not you've definitely heard of E=MC2 and what this means is energy equals mass multiplied by the speed of light squared and as such you draw the conclusion of nothing being able to travel faster then the speed of light. However this simply is not true, one good example of that is the big bang theory the universe is indeed expanding faster then the speed of light and continues to do so. This is because the theory was not referring space but rather on earth as such in space is not what's being referred to.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

The way I understand relativity:

1. Matter (rest mass >0) cannot travel at the speed of light (it would require an infinite amount of energy to reach that speed).
2. Photons and other particles that have zero rest mass can only travel at the speed of light.
3. Information cannot be faster than light, if you make something look like it is traveling faster than light, it cannot be used to transmit information.
4. Traveling faster slows time down - GPS satellites have to take that into account (as they require very precise clocks).

However, space itself apparently can travel faster than light. Imagine a rubber rope with some objects on it. The rubber rope is space and the objects are matter in it. The objects cannot "slide" along the "rope" faster than light, but you can stretch the "rope" and make them move away from each other faster than light. Or something like that, I read a similar explanation somewhere.

Apparently, the way a warp drive could work is by compressing and expanding space making the space move faster than light, but your ship will be static within it. IIRC this apparently would require more energy than the Sun will produce in its entire life just to go a few lightyears.

By the way, electric signals in a cable (and optical signals in fiber) travel slower than the speed of light in vacuum - each material has its own speed of light which is slowed (the refractive index is a ratio of speed of light in vacuum / speed of light in that material)

Just now, You said:

Because the general theory of relativity.

This is more of a sidenote, but what we consider as present, is actually 99% something that happened in the past yet. We simply didn't see it back then, and we took time to recognize it.

Think if you hear a sound. The sound waves area emitted in the past and take some time to travel to our ears.

The very same is true for visuals - it takes the speed of light to travel to our eyes. Not too relevant on Earth I suppose, but we don't see the sun in our present as it is - we see the sun how it was 8 minutes ago.

Our current understanding of physics is only based upon our observations/experimentation as of yet. We are in the nascent stages of understanding the universe as a whole. So just to say that it can't happen due to a current theory, one that could very well change in the future is a bit close minded in my view. 

• Brohoof 1